Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:42 pm 

Don't know how many drummers we have on board here, but here's your chance to win a sweet Vistalite kit for just a $25.00. Funds go to the family of John Boland, who died recently at 44 years old and left behind his wife and triplet sons. He lived in Louisville, KY and went to school at Western Kentucky a few years after I did.

Here's some info on the drums and how you can help, copied from Larry Smith's Facebook posting.

Dear friends and fellow drummers,

I write you to share about some good fortune, some very sad news and what you can do about it.
The good fortune is the incredible finding of a 5 pc Ludwig Vistalite drum kit, left for the dumpster at my storage facility. Apparently, someone was evicted from their storage space and the contents went to the trash. I was lucky enough to recognize these collectors items and loaded them into my car. The sad news is that a local musician from Elizabethtown, KY recently passed away due to an enlarged heart.

John Boland, a young man of 44 years whom I've never had the pleasure of meeting, left this world with a wife and triplet young boys without financial support to make ends meet.

Fortunately, John was a member of this local music scene which tends to take care of fellow musicians through M.E.R.F. and impromptu fund-raising opportunities such as the one that will take place on June 17th at the Maple Inn in Jeffersontown, Ky between 2pm and 8pm.
As for the Drum kit and how you can help, please carefully read the following...
I don't need a Vistalite kit. It is cool and it could probably sell for over $800.00 on e-bay. I just don't deserve the opportunity to make that kind of money for a kit I found outside a dumpster. So, I have been looking for the right situation to sacrifice this drum kit to raise funds for a worthy cause.
At first, it was going to be tornado relief for the victims in Henryville, IN. That became nearly impossible and ultimately not enough help to be worth the effort. Then, I heard about John's death and the need to raise funds to help his widow and their sons. I thought, "between word of mouth and facebook posts/re-posts/shares, we could raise $2500.00 or more for the Boland family and that will do a lot to help them as a family."
That's why I am calling upon you. You are a musician, a drummer or you know a drummer that could possibly enjoy a mid 70's Ludwig Clear Vistalite kit (22x14, 12x8, 14x10, 18x16, 14x5) The condition is between 6.5 and 8. They sound great. The snare is one of the best I've ever heard. The only hardware is a Speed King pedal, a flimsy Ludwig hi-hat stand, tom legs, and the bass drum center tom-mount.
If you would be even remotely interested, I ask you to put up $25.00 as the purchase of a raffle ticket to win this kit. I will take checks or cash payment until June 13th. Your name and phone number will be placed on an index card and will be added to a hopper of other folks who are taking a chance and helping out the Bolands. We intend to sell raffle tickets at the Maple Inn Benefit on the 17th as well. The drawing will take place at 7PM. It will be videotaped and that video clip will be posted on this event page to let all ticket buyers know who won the raffle. We hope to get a minimum of 100 people on-board. That will bring $2500.00 to this family.
Please make your $25.00 check payable to the order of:

Betsey Boland

and under the memo, write:

Vistalite Raffle

You can send the checks to me:
Larry Smith
c/o Bisig Impact Group
640 S. 4th Street Suite 300
Louisville, KY 40202

Be sure to include your mailing info and a phone number so we can call you to tell you that you won the kit!

Please share this event with any and all musician friends that you know on facebook/word of mouth.

Thanks,

Larry Smith

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/donate.html