Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:27 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Thanks for the support all. I was and still am angered at what has transpired but I have received several PM's of support along with this thread. The outpouring of what this site means to people illustrates that my work here has not been in vain. So I won't shut down the site... yet. Some responses have illustrated that my threats are often hollow. And he had a point. And since he was one of the top offenders, his account has been suspended (aka banned). I want to clarify something. If I ban you your account will be deactivated. If you endeavor to create a new account then I will ban your IP AND DELETE EVERYTHING YOUR EVER POSTED.
Its obvious I have to be a hard-arse about things now and I will do what I have to do.

So for those of you that support this then I appreciate it. For those of you that don't, find someplace else to soil.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:08 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hi Scott,

I'm pleased with your tough new stand. The nasty stuff really has been getting bad lately. There have been far too many thinly-veiled personal attacks, as well as some blatant ones. Friendly disagreement is fine, but there is no room for hatred and mean-spirited posts. We simply don't need that kind of activity. I encourage you to do whatever you feel is necessary in order to keep the peace and to keep WIX focused on pertinent topics of discussion. You've set forth some very easy-to-follow rules which are for the good of all. If some people can't or won't follow them, then we don't need those people here. I'm sure that some users will cry, "Censorship!" In my humble opinion, if censorship is what's required to make the WIX a fun, friendly place to discuss warbirds and vintage aviation, then bring it on. Here's hoping that you and the other volunteer moderators can "clean up this here town" and that the WIX will live on.

With great respect,
Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:19 pm 
No Longer Active - per request

Sad to see it come down to this but, with all the crap going on on here in the last year or so I would not blame you for giving up.

One suggestion Scott, If a post has to be deleted for whatever reason could the mod atleast post the reason for it, so the poster will know what he did wrong?

Dave C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:31 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I am very sorry to say that I think a hard-ass approach is quite appropriate after the last couple of months. I love this place and I would very much like to see it continue to be what it was originally intended to be. There is lots of room on the internet for folks who don't like the way WIX is run to start up their own web sites and discussion boards.

---Wingman Photo---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:42 pm 

Scott,

I spend WAY too much time on your site. This is a fact. Another fact is that I've learned things, met people (electronically and in person) and gotten advice that I would never have gotten if I hadn't found this site. I've shared childhood stories and pictures with people that I would never have known otherwise. I've seen pictures from airshows posted here, and based on the context of the picture realized I was standing within 10 feet of a fellow WIXER and didn't realize it. I appreciate your site and the work you and the other moderators do. For every person that says thanks I know there are many more that agree but say nothing. I wanted to make sure I said thanks.

This is your site, your rules. As for the freedom of speech/censorship/insert complaint here I understand to a point. BUT WE ARE GUESTS ON YOUR SITE AND IT IS NOT OURS TO MAKE THE RULES. If I feel that I'm not allowed to make my point, or whatever the complaint of the day is I guess I'm free to host my own forum. Sorry for your frustration, and I hope you don't shut down the site.

Man, I've really been getting in touch with my femanine side lately...

Jack McDonnel aka Chunks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:00 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

For me one thing that stands out is all the new friendships I've made here.
Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:37 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

I've been a continuous member of this group since it was the original Warbirds Worldwide "refugee site," and Paul Coggan's Warbirds Worldwide site before that. As much of an enthusiast and great guy as Paul was, he couldn't keep it together and had to shut down due to some scandalous postings (as I recall). I can't remember how long ago that was, but Scott and his team (including the volunteer moderators) has managed to not only keep this site going on a volunteer basis, but to make it into the best and most informative warbird site on the net.

I too am getting all teary eyed Chunks, and will donate $50 via PayPal to Scott tonight to make me feel better. Call it my version of a stimulus package for the site. Hopefully this will entice others to also donate. Let's all put our money where our big posting mouths are!!! :oops:

<UPDATE> PayPal sent!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:50 pm 

Great idea BDK. I matched your donation and hope that others will do the same.

Chunks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:06 pm 

I have been enjoying WIX longer than I have been posting. The information shared has been the most informative that I have ever experienced! Sometimes heartfealt and poignant, sometimes laugh-out loud funny, other times frustrating as H*ll. I would absolutely miiss it if it were gone!

Point taken BDK Paypal sent!

Mike Maki

Post subject: ?????
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:06 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

I don't have $50 to spare but anyone who donates $50 I'll send them a disc with 50 high res pictures!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:15 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Maybe the folks that got the ban should be listed as an example?

I would be pretty disappointed if WIX were to head west. I can honestly say that thanks to WIX (and Gary) my life has been changed over the last couple years. Of course my wife thinks I'm a bigger geek than ever now... :lol:

Visit Django Studios online or Facebook!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:58 pm 

I wanted it to be a surprise Jack, but the $50 I donated was for you! :P

Chunks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:57 am 

Scott said:

I don't like coming here anymore, and haven't for awhile. It fills me with dread to log in in the last year

I'm really sorry to read those words Scott but I understand why you feel that way. I must have missed the most recent "dust up" but if it was anything like the last few that I've read, maybe it's time for the return of "Scott the Benevolent Dictator". I really would hate to see WIX vanish into the mist so please take whatever steps are necessary to make it fun for you again. Remember that line...."it's good to be the king"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:05 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I cringed when I read those lines. For a guy who owns the freaking site to say he hates it here...well crap! Scott, I really hope you'll come back a bit and try to regain what this place was, or maybe just what it should be. It's an amazing resource for people who love old warbirds, and for Pete's sake of all people you should be at the top of that list. Come back and let's see if we can't make this a place to smile about again, okay?

"I knew the jig was up when I saw the P-51D-20-NA Mustang blue-nosed bastards from Bodney, and by the way the blue was more of a royal blue than an indigo and the inner landing gear interiors were NOT green, over Berlin."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:18 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Scott

You know all the 'old hands' that are left on here are fully behind you and that the site has overcome the few #@@^*! who have tried to bring it down previously by bringing their :bs: and self serving agendas to the site. Don't let the latest 'bunch' undo some eight years and more of hard and dedicated work that have made this forum head and shoulders above the rest for all things WARBIRD.

Dave

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next