Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:55 am 

Hi Guys,

I have been reading the threads, and I am most interested by how many others are avid cooks, and bakers. While I prefer preparing savory dishes, I can hold my own baking too. I have been in the kitchen for thirty six years, learning all of the "old family favorites", at my Mom's side.

I have been volunteering for a Pancreatic Cancer group, and I did research on the best cookbook printers available, and I have discovered there is a substantial profit to be made. This got me thinking about all of you, and helping Scott. I have always thought a "Flavors of the World" Family favorites, would make a GREAT cookbook. This is truly the most global online community I am familiar with, and obviously there are many of you who enjoy cooking as much as I do. Those of you who don't still like to eat, and I am sure could benefit from the recipes as well.

Here is what I would need to know.....
1) How many of you would be willing to contribute at least one favorite recipe?
2) How many would be interested in purchasing the book?
3) What catagories would you like included?
4) Name of the cookbook? i.e...."Cookin' with the WIX'rs?

If there is enough interest, I will retype all the recipes, and submit everything to the Cookbook makers, and ALL the profits will go to Scott.

If Scott chooses, the books could be sent to me, and I will package, and send them to each of you. I suggest that the books that are ordered are prepaid, or at least a deposit, placed, so that no one has to pay for the entire order up front. I will be happy to handle all of this if you all want me to.

Everything that goes into the book, except the individual recipes will be put to a vote.....The cover photo, the dedication page, colors, dividers, categories.....etc..... I seem to recall advertising pages are available for sale.....if this is something you all would like to see included. I don't remember the exact cost of adding advertising pages, but I know the potential profit increase dramatically.

I have opened a yahoo account that I would use for this project only, it is: P-51LUVRKGT@yahoo.com

I have added the poll at the end of this so you all can guage at a glance whether this is something that may work.

I look forward to everyone's input.

Best wishes,
Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:22 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Karen, I could provide one or two recipes.

And I would buy one copy of the book, although I do not cook at all. Last time I cooked was probably 8 years ago or so.

Saludos,

Tulio

I am one of them 'futbol' people.

Will the previous owner has pics of this double cabin sample

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Sooooo, how am I going to know to press 1 or 2, if I do not speak English????

Post subject: Outstanding!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:32 pm 

Hi Guys!

I am so pleased to hear from you both. I think the first things we need to do are:

1) Get Scott's blessing......(Not moving forward with out that!) :D

2) Spread the word! I won't post anything, anywhere but here, because I don't want to irritate anyone with a non-warbird post...... So, if you guys can spread the word to other WIX'er's we can see how much interest there will be!

3) Name the book....Everyone can either post their suggestions here, or email them to me, and I will make a poll, and everyone can vote.

4) Send recipes!! Won't be a book without them!! :wink: Right now, I suggest sending as many recipes as your little hearts desire. If we get too many, or duplicates, I will contact all for suggestions on how to trim things.
Please send them to: P51LUVR@yahoo.com, or ktrimble@suscom.net
Or, contact me for my mailing address if you would rather send them by post. BTW, I have mailed a lot of items to Canada, Europe, and Asia, and it is not outragous for an item like this......but more about that later.....

5) Start suggesting catagories....Do we want it to be regional, i.e.....New England, Northeast, Southeast, Southwest, England, France, Italy, Ireland....etc.....(This is my preference)
Or: we can do it the standard way....breads, beverages, meats...etc....this is acceptable, but I don't think it captures the spirit of the cultures that will be contributing.

6) PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! Give me your input for any inclusions, or ideas you all have for what will make this the best book ever! I am thinking that a brief bio about each contributor, and the origin of the recipe would be very nice....i.e. My great grandmother came here from Italy, with my great grandfather. They had an arrainged marriage that lasted for over 60 years. She spoke very broken English, and my one memory of her, (She died when I was 3), was goiung to the nursing home and standing on a stool by her bed, and her saying to me, "You're sucha nice-a gal"! She made the very best meatballs, and spaghetti sauce I have EVER eaten! These recipes have been passed down through the generations...

Well, I guess that's it for now....I will wait to start hearing from all of you on how to proceed. I am very excited!! Thanks guys! I think this will be fun!
Best wishes,
Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:28 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Sounds like an interesting idea. Look forward to seeing what comes of it :)

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:45 pm 

okay, sounds like number one is done and number 2 is in the works.
As for number 3 I have no idea.

number 4 though is interesting, I would have had it the other way round with number 5.

either way how about desserts? my fav area. I got one I can send in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:16 pm 
BANNED/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

How about Lav Pops? you put blue koolaid in a cup put some tootsie rolls and marhmellows inside and then put a stick in it and stabilize the stick with a peice of tape and put in the freezer untill frozen. pop it out of the cup when frozen and serve. A truely aviation treat. If you want to do something special put a plastic wedding ring in it!