Switch to full style
The Warbirds Resource Group is partnering with Warbird News to provide you with the most up to date news about the warbird community
Post a reply

T-33 on a Trailer?

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:28 pm

Driving North of Atlanta on I-75 this morning, I saw a T-33 fuselage on a trailer heading South, up near Cartersville. Looked to be the fuselage from the engine break forward, plus some tailfeathers.

Anybody know where it came from and where its going?

Re: T-33 on a Trailer?

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:40 am

There used to be a collection of military aircraft near the interstate, on the left as you're going south, near Cartersville. The area has built up now and you can no longer see it from the interstate, and the planes may not still be there. They were in pretty rough condition last time I saw them.

Private collection I presume, and I believe the guy had a T-33. I hope they got recovered. Sad to see them deteriorate over the years.

Re: T-33 on a Trailer?

Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:26 am

Claymore wrote:There used to be a collection of military aircraft near the interstate, on the left as you're going south, near Cartersville. The area has built up now and you can no longer see it from the interstate, and the planes may not still be there. They were in pretty rough condition last time I saw them.

Private collection I presume, and I believe the guy had a T-33. I hope they got recovered. Sad to see them deteriorate over the years.

That was Mercer field. The field was long gone by the time of the T-33 sighting.

A couple of the aircraft there were saved, but most were scrapped.

There is a fair amount of Mercer info on this site if you search.
Post a reply