Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:27 pm 

Hi All.
Am new to the forum and have just acquired a basket case Harvard IIB which I hope to restore to flying condition. It is a real mess and I am trying to get my head round it all at the moment! Since the thought of the whole project scares the pants of me, I am starting small (eating the elephant one steak at a time as it were!) by trying to workout what I actually have.
Here goes, hope you can help!
I have a Hydraulic reservoir which is marked as a Harvard II part and has the p/no. 55-58116 marked on a two separate data plates. Stamped on the reservoir itself, in two separate places, is the p/no. 55-58115-2 . Slightly confusing. However, in my parts manual, the reservoir is down as p/no. 55-58051. What am I missing? If I can't even work out what I have from the IPC, I'm in BIG trouble.
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:34 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

B45 wrote:
Hi All.
Am new to the forum and have just acquired a basket case Harvard IIB which I hope to restore to flying condition. It is a real mess and I am trying to get my head round it all at the moment! Since the thought of the whole project scares the pants of me, I am starting small (eating the elephant one steak at a time as it were!) by trying to workout what I actually have.
Here goes, hope you can help!
I have a Hydraulic reservoir which is marked as a Harvard II part and has the p/no. 55-58116 marked on a two separate data plates. Stamped on the reservoir itself, in two separate places, is the p/no. 55-58115-2 . Slightly confusing. However, in my parts manual, the reservoir is down as p/no. 55-58051. What am I missing? If I can't even work out what I have from the IPC, I'm in BIG trouble.
Thanks in advance.

1st I would get one of the DVD Discs with the T-6 Drawings scanned on them. Makes it easy to search for parts. Some parts were superseded with another part as time went on.
In some cases a part is made up of other parts and so you might have an Assy P/N which often is listed in the parts book, and other parts of that Assy that aren't individually listed in the parts list.
Usually the drawing print will show everything. Although it usually shows the latest revision ans so an early version of the part won't show up on the prints.
One difference in the Resiviours is that later they added another port to supply hyd fluid to the brake master cylinder. Originally that resiviour was self contained in the Master Cylinder.
Good luck with your project.

Remember an Injured Youth
benstear.org
#64- Stay Strong and Keep the Faith

BOOM BOOM, ROUND ROUND, PROPELLER GO

Don't Be A Dilbert!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:51 am 

Thanks for that. The part concerned is an assembly. I do have several different IPC's for various marks, none of which have the part number listed that is on the offending article. I was under the impression (falsely it transpires) that a later mod state would have been indicated by a dash number (e.g. 55-58115-2) I didn't realise that it could involve a completely different part number. Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:21 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The Harvard parts book is more detailed then the US one.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:26 am 

I have a copy of the RCAF manual but it is incomplete. It runs out of steam at about page 450 and yet the index goes put to the 700's. Do you know where I can get hold of a complete example?
Ta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:35 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The 58115 is the end piece on the rear that forms the rear wall of the Tank.
The 58116 is the entire tank assay.
Had a moment to chk my computer at work.
Get the drawings DVD. It helps to know as much as you can.

benstear.org

Don't Be A Dilbert!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:02 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Only difference noted in the drawing for the 58115 is the -2 has a hole drilled in it. This is welded on the rear end of the tank.
The 58115 lacks any holes and is welded to form the front of the tank.

The 58116 Tank Assy then becomes 55-58051 Assy after the filler neck plug and its retaining chain along with an instruction placard are added.

The 55-58116 drawing has info that tells you the part is next called out in the 55-58051 drawing. The 55051 drawing has the info for the next call out and it is used in the 77 or 88-52506 drawing. This is the control shelf on the L/H side of the cockpit with various controls and trim wheels, ext. The 52506 drawing shows how it bolts onto the shelf (hardware such as the lengths of bolts and nuts and washers), what hyd fittings are installed in what location and direction they are aimed. If you look for 55-58116 Hyd Reservoir on the 88-52506 control shelf drawing it isn't there as it became the 55-58051 when the items were added to the bare tank assy.

Being a Hvd II it could be a 77-52506 shelf that was installed. It depends on when the ship was built. If it was a later build date or modified to a later standard it might be a 88-52506 shelf.

This is why drawings are a big help.

benstear.org

Don't Be A Dilbert!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:18 pm 

Hi Rich
Thanks for all that. I think we are out of sync in the conversation as I'm new to this forum and all my posts have to be approved by the moderator! All your input is much appreciated! Thanks very much. It is starting to make more sense.
Cheers,

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:11 pm 

B45 wrote:
I have a copy of the RCAF manual but it is incomplete. It runs out of steam at about page 450 and yet the index goes put to the 700's. Do you know where I can get hold of a complete example?
Ta

PM sent :-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:11 pm 

Confusion over thanks to Shane and the Canadian Harvard Aircraft Association! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:56 am 

Greetings from over the ditch! So how complete is your Harvard? Wings? Everything firewall forward? Is she a NA built example or Canadian? The RNZAF got three Canadian built Harvard IIBs (NZ1100, 1101 and 1102) some of which still survive but in separate bits I understand.
All the best with your project. And if you want to talk confusion try rebuilding an Auster.....soooooo many types!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:49 am 

Hi,
Sorry for the tardy reply. Work has been hectic and hadn't noticed you query. My project is a bit of a basket case at the moment (replace "a bit" with "a lot"!) Most of the airframe is there in various states of decomposition with very little firewall forward! Working on it though. It is definitely a looooong term project. Was originally a RAF IIB. Bought by the Dutch airforce after the war and used by them till '68. Been in the civil world ever since. At the moment, I'm in the stage of assessing what I have, and, more importantly what I don't! Am part collecting so if you hear of any parts up for grabs any leads would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:44 pm 

Hi Mike
Brisbane eh? My folks live in Robina (retired there like a lot of other Kiwis!)
What parts are you looking for? I have a friend who was rebuilding (for display) a MKII ex RNZAF Harvard. A basket case as only the frame is MK II the rear fusealge came from the US (AT6C or D) and the wing center section and wings were either IIA or III Harvard. However he now has a relatively complete ex RNZAF Harvard MK III NZ1077. I think the MK II may have been sold(I do know the wings have gone to Australia) but if you let me know what bits you seek I can ask for you.
Regards
Baz
Christchurch
NZ