Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

Rate 1941 (the movie)
5 Stars 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4 Stars 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
3 Stars 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
2 Stars 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 Stars 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Haven't seen the movie 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6
Author Message
 Post subject: Movie Review: 1941
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:24 am
Posts: 126
In the days immediately after December 7th 1941, there was a lot of confusion and chaos. Steven Spielberg tried, badly, to convey these days of chaos. This is a rarity for Spielberg-a flop. Still, amongst the mess, there was some comedy gold-pretty much everything that happened on the Japanese submarine was hilarious. The naked woman on the periscope with Japanese sailors yelling:"HORRYWOOD!!!" Slim Pickens swallowing the compass from the Cracker Jacks because the German made compass wouldn't work, and later, Slim tied to the toilet after being force fed castor oil:"Y'all ain't getting s@#$! out of me!!!" Good stuff Too bad the rest of the movie sucked. Two stars out of five.



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie Review: 1941
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:38 am 
Offline
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 1:16 am
Posts: 10487
Not exactly a documentary of the era, but there was some comedy gold there. Pickens was at the top of his comedy game and Belushi was funny as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie Review: 1941
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:59 am 
Offline
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:51 pm
Posts: 1110
Location: Chandler, AZ
The movie was not a flop, it was actually quite profitable and only a 'flop' when compared to Spielberg's previous blockbuster.
While very much a silly movie, there is some surprisingly GOOD attention to detail, particularly where the needs of the plot or characters don't overrule it.
The soldiers are all wearing uniforms conforming to pre-war regulations (black ties, 1917A1 helmets etc), the aircraft markings are well executed and appropriate. All things that would not have been really been required in a slapstickish comedy.
And for those of us of a heterosexual male airplane nut bent, Nancy Allen as Donna Stratton is worth the price of admission.

_________________
Lest Hero-worship raise it's head and cloud our vision, remember that World War II was fought and won by the same sort of twenty-something punks we wouldn't let our daughters date.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie Review: 1941
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:24 am
Posts: 126
shrike wrote:
The movie was not a flop, it was actually quite profitable and only a 'flop' when compared to Spielberg's previous blockbuster. While very much a silly movie, there is some surprisingly GOOD attention to detail, particularly where the needs of the plot or characters don't overrule it. The soldiers are all wearing uniforms conforming to pre-war regulations (black ties, 1917A1 helmets etc), the aircraft markings are well executed and appropriate. All things that would not have been really been required in a slapstickish comedy. And for those of us of a heterosexual male airplane nut bent, Nancy Allen as Donna Stratton is worth the price of admission.
Did you see the long haired 18 year old boyin the Marine Corps first sergeant uniform?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Movie Review: 1941
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:21 pm 
Offline
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:51 pm
Posts: 1110
Location: Chandler, AZ
Ernie_D wrote:
shrike wrote:
The movie was not a flop, it was actually quite profitable and only a 'flop' when compared to Spielberg's previous blockbuster. While very much a silly movie, there is some surprisingly GOOD attention to detail, particularly where the needs of the plot or characters don't overrule it. The soldiers are all wearing uniforms conforming to pre-war regulations (black ties, 1917A1 helmets etc), the aircraft markings are well executed and appropriate. All things that would not have been really been required in a slapstickish comedy. And for those of us of a heterosexual male airplane nut bent, Nancy Allen as Donna Stratton is worth the price of admission.
Did you see the long haired 18 year old boyin the Marine Corps first sergeant uniform?


I didn't say "perfect" :roll:

_________________
Lest Hero-worship raise it's head and cloud our vision, remember that World War II was fought and won by the same sort of twenty-something punks we wouldn't let our daughters date.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:51 am 
Offline
WRG Editor
WRG Editor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:43 pm
Posts: 5063
Location: Haverhill, MA & Johnston, RI
One of the strangest War movies ever made... It's time to rate
1941

_________________
Scott Rose
Editor-In-Chief/Webmaster
Warbirds Resource Group - Warbird Information Exchange - Warbird Registry - MilitarySciFi.com

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.


Image

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:14 am 
Offline
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:51 pm
Posts: 4617
Location: Cheshire, CT
Bloated and flawed but a favorite of mine since day one! It also paved the way for for a controlled, slick and sharp Raiders of the Lost Ark.

_________________
"Always remember that, when you enter the ocean or the forest, you are no longer at the top of the food chain."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:47 am 
Offline
WRG Editor
WRG Editor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:43 pm
Posts: 5063
Location: Haverhill, MA & Johnston, RI
Jerry O'Neill wrote:
Bloated and flawed but a favorite of mine since day one! It also paved the way for for a controlled, slick and sharp Raiders of the Lost Ark.


It's definitely one of the more bizarre films out there, much more slapstick than other comedic movies like Kelly's Heroes. Reminds me more of McHales navy.

_________________
Scott Rose
Editor-In-Chief/Webmaster
Warbirds Resource Group - Warbird Information Exchange - Warbird Registry - MilitarySciFi.com

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.


Image

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:20 pm
Posts: 137
It was technically a "flop" in the U.S. but overseas it was a smash hit, especially Australia, NZ and Japan. This is where the film made it's money.
The VHS-era rentals were also high in these countries at the time. I remember seeing it in a movie theatre in 1979 (at age 7!) in NZ and the
entire theatre was erupting with cheering and laughter.

Loved the scene where Wild Bill smashes the beer bottle on the P-40 canopy when he cannot find a bottle opener.

The Beech 18 was taxiied by warbird pilot Steve Hinton and was the same plane that crashed in Bakersfield in 1982 killing a group
of skydivers.

_________________
Simon D. Beck
http://www.uswarplanes.net
http://www.c82packet.com
Author
The Aircraft-Spotter's Film & Television Companion (2016)
Fairchild C-82 Packet: The Military and Civil History (2017)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group