Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:17 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

In this first installment of Best, worst and under seen we will focus on WWII films set int the Pacific Theater. Let's hear your opinion of what is the best picture, the worst picture, and the most under seen picture in this category.

My picks:

Best: Tora Tora Tora
One of the best war films of all time, this movie is interesting as it shows both sides of the conflict. It's also one of the last movies to use mass amounts of real aircraft for filming. This is the Battle Of Britain for the Pacific Theater.

Worst: Pearl Harbor
Great aviation scenes, and I don't mind the love story. But Ben Affleck's character being in Eagle Squadron, then Pearl Harbor, and then switching to bombers for the Doolittle raid? I can only suspend my disbelief so far.

Under seen: The Fighting Seabees
You don't hear people talk about this movie much, and I love the fact that it covers a less glamorous aspect of WWII.

Lets hear your picks and why

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:08 pm 

Best:
Tie between Letters from Iwo Jima and HBO's The Pacific series (sorry, I know that's not a film in the traditional sense, but it was superb IMHO)

Worst:
The Final Countdown 1980: USS Nimitz is thrown back in time to 1941 near Hawaii, just hours before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Of course.

Under seen:
Two Japanese films: Yamato (Otoko-tachi no Yamato, 2005) and The Eternal Zero (Eien no 0, 2013)

http://aeroantique.com/
"All right, Striker, you listen, and listen close. Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:27 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

2banaviator wrote:
Best:
Tie between Letters from Iwo Jima and HBO's The Pacific series (sorry, I know that's not a film in the traditional sense, but it was superb IMHO)

For this purpose The Pacific qualifies. I liked both of these though the first time I tried to watch The Pacific I was sort of bored after the 1st installment. I revisited it last year and made it through the boring stuff and thought it was great after that.

2banaviator wrote:
Worst:
The Final Countdown 1980: USS Nimitz is thrown back in time to 1941 near Hawaii, just hours before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Of course.

The best part of this movie is the dogfight sequence. Love that bit, however the rest is pretty forgettable. Luckily you can find just the dogfight sequence on YouTube (I'll find links when I get home)

2banaviator wrote:
Under seen:
Two Japanese films: Yamato (Otoko-tachi no Yamato, 2005) and The Eternal Zero (Eien no 0, 2013)

I have not seen either of these though I have hgeard of The Eternal Zero, I'll have to add them to the watch list

This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:44 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Final Countdown dogfight scene - Part 1

And Part 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:15 pm 

Hacksaw Ridge wasn't the best, but it certainly wasn't anywhere near the worst, either. I enjoyed it. (Not sure if "enjoyed" is really the right word, come to think of it.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:22 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Snake45 wrote:
Hacksaw Ridge wasn't the best, but it certainly wasn't anywhere near the worst, either. I enjoyed it. (Not sure if "enjoyed" is really the right word, come to think of it.)

Appreciated it? I agree, enjoy is not the best description for this moving. Definitely worth seeing though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:24 pm 

2banaviator wrote:
Best:

Worst:

Under seen:

I am an American patriot but I recently saw the last half of Yamato. You see the Japanese, in detail, just getting massacred. It's not unlike the last stand at little big horn.

With that said, even today, the Japanese psyche has a hang up on what happened with the Yamato. The proof is in the recent live action Star Blazers movie.

For those not in the know, Star Blazers was an excellent science fiction cartoon of the late 1970's. Earth's oceans have been stolen by a race of aliens out to kill all the humans and remake Earth. The Japanese find the old Yamato and turn it into a space going battleship.

The live action movie is similar to the Star Wars movies. The visual effects are eye popping. There is good acting but the story isn't unlike The 47 Ronin. The movie is definitely worth seeing and can be found online for free. It is subtitled for those who don't speak Japanese (like me).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:12 pm 

Hmmm, not sure I could pick a 'best' but will provide a list to pick from!

In no particular order and should not be limited to...

Escape from Sobibor
Schindlers List
Band of Brothers
Battle of Britain
The Great Escape
Das Boot
A Bridge too Far
Bridge of the River Kwai
Saving Private Ryan (if only for the opening 30 minutes)
The Dambusters
Enemy at the Gates
Wooden Horse
Platoon
Hamburger Hill
We Were Soldiers

Can I also include Star Wars, there I've said it, someone had too! :D

Similarly, would be unable to select the 'worst' but offer the following...

Escape to Victory
Pearl Harbour
U571
Mosquito Squadron
The Thin Red yaawwwwwwwwnnnnn Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! (sorry) Line
Inglorious Basterds (sorry, just didn't get it)
The Dirty Dozen sequels

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:38 pm 

One probably not taken seriously because it is a romantic comedy: Father Goose.

Cary Grant plays a beachcomber forced into being a coast watcher. Suddenly, he also has to take care of a young woman and seven girls aged 7 to 15. A great family movie.

Another one not mentioned: In Harm's Way.
John Wayne led the cast but he is just one of a half dozen A list stars. The story centers around Guadalcanal but there are at sea and aviation sequences. Excellent acting and directing.

Post WWII but an excellent christmas film: Donovan's Reef

John Wayne again but the story centers around 3 men from a destroyer who forever changed an island. Filmed on the big island-Hawaii. A look into the recent past.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:17 pm 

Most underseen: Task Force

The acting and writing leaves much to be said, but there is
Great authentic flying footage from 1931 to 1945.
Wildcats, helldivers, dauntlesses, and biplanes. Can be found for
Free on youtube.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:55 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Ernie_D wrote:
One probably not taken seriously because it is a romantic comedy: Father Goose.

Cary Grant plays a beachcomber forced into being a coast watcher. Suddenly, he also has to take care of a young woman and seven girls aged 7 to 15. A great family movie.

Another one not mentioned: In Harm's Way.
John Wayne led the cast but he is just one of a half dozen A list stars. The story centers around Guadalcanal but there are at sea and aviation sequences. Excellent acting and directing.

Post WWII but an excellent christmas film: Donovan's Reef

John Wayne again but the story centers around 3 men from a destroyer who forever changed an island. Filmed on the big island-Hawaii. A look into the recent past.

I watched In Harm's Way again just before Xmas, but the other two I haven't seen since I was in my teens. Have to watch them soon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

One thing about In Harm's Way, it is based on a novel by James Bassett, who was on the public affairs staff of Admiral Halsey.

With that bit of background, watch the film and pay attention to the characterizations of the self serving Dana Andrews character and his PR -guy, a former Congressman who gave up his seat to burnish his resume.
I'll bet that is based on true events and people.

I enjoyed Burgess Meredith in his role as a Hollywood screenwriter turned Reserve Intel officer.

One neat point I picked up from the book is the Kirk Douglas character really was, before his personal issues, a first rate officer. He spent his weekends war gaming with model ships at Pearl. Again, that gives background on hid character not seen in the film. So there is more to him than Douglas' chewing up the scenery and being a "bad boy".

Yes, it gets a bit soapy at times, but hey, it's a film.
The book is available digitally on Ama-youknowho for a few bucks.

John Wayne is very good as a naval pro looking to do his duty, and not looking for glory. He liked worn, which his character should. Wayne looked that way because he was suffering from undiagnosed cancer. Soon after filming he had extensive surgery.
They say Preminger's rapid filming wrapped up the film three weeks early, saving Wayne's life.

So, look at or as a character study, not combat soap opera and you'll be impressed.
I hate to put it in the same league as 12 O'clock High, but as a character study, it is in some ways superior (less preachy)...if you know where to look.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:25 pm 

Underrated - I'll go with "None but the brave" No great battle sequences or anything but very good acting and very good plot, not corny and unbelievable like most of the war films of that era

Worse - Yeah I'll have to agree with Pearl Harbor, was a huge disappointment. I saw it in a theater when it came out expecting another Tora Tora Tora and pretty much got a General Hospital. Was with my daughter probably about 7 at the time, was so bad that we both literally fell asleep. I still feel cheated paying to see drivel like that, I wonder if its too late for a class action lawsuit ?