Switch to full style
Post a reply

Movie Review: Full Metal Jacket

Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:39 pm

Continuing that Vietnam theme, let's talk about Full Metal Jacket. It has been said by many that executive producer and director Stanley Kubrick is a genius. I never thought so until I saw this movie.The first half of this movie is about a platoon going through Marine Boot Camp. As a Marine, I can assure you that this segment of the movie is 99% authentic. The role of the Drill Instructor was played by a real life Drilll Instructor (R. Lee Ermy). Good stuff. The second half of the movie isabout Vietnam. I've spoken with a Vietnam vet who saw the movie. He says this part of the movie is a swing and a miss (not realistic). One glaring item that I saw is that a Vietnamese sniper used an AK-47 (insert buzzer sound here). At close range, within 25 feet, the AK is a very letal weapon. At distances of 100 feet or more, it's extremely inacccurate due to barrrel variance. So, the first half of this movie is a direct hit-bullseye! the second half, well, it's on te paper, but barely at the far edge of te target. Overalll, I give it four stars out of five, but that's mainly because of the first half of the movie.

Re: Movie Review: Full Metal Jacket

Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:36 pm

An interesting behind the scenes look at Full Metal Jacket

Re: Movie Review: Full Metal Jacket

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:48 pm

Ernie_D wrote:At close range, within 25 feet, the AK is a very letal weapon. At distances of 100 feet or more, it's extremely inacccurate due to barrrel variance.

Oh, nonsense. The typical AK will shoot into 4-5 inches at 100 yards (or better), which is far from sniper-grade accuracy but "good enough" for most modern combat. I sure wouldn't want anyone who knows what he's doing shooting at me with one at 200 yards, or even 300 for that matter. :wink:

I have no idea what you mean by the term "barrel variance." :?
Post a reply