Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Rate This Movie... Battle Of Britain
5 Stars 61%  61%  [ 50 ]
4 Stars 28%  28%  [ 23 ]
3 Stars 10%  10%  [ 8 ]
2 stars 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 star 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Haven't seen it 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 82
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:04 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Today's movie is Battle Of Britain. Please vote in the poll and reply to this threads with your thoughts about the movie. What you loved... or hated about it. Thanks.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:46 pm 

Great flying scenes but they didn't need to muck it up with the cheesy love story.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:22 pm 

Jiggersfromsphilly wrote:
Great flying scenes but they didn't need to muck it up with the cheesy love story.

Exactly what I think about it. Brilliant low flying just at the beginning, over all very good. BTW when it was released in Germany. they had some promotion by showing mock Bf 109´s. I was lucky to live near Siegen, as there were 2 real Buchons transported there from Siegerland Airport, so I was able to sit in one as a 11 year old. (One of those 2 airframes went to a German Museum later, one to the US.)

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:53 pm 

I speak for Pilgrim too in that it is a Buchon lover's dream.

The Two Brads give it (snap...snap) Two Thumbs Up!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:36 pm 

Used to be my favorite war movie. Best part is the opening scene where the 109s beat up the field. Can't stand it anymore... once we got a vehicle with a dvd player in it, my son would watch it everywhere we went whether it be a 10 minute drive to the store or 14 hours pulling a T-6 home.

Chunks

T-6/SNJ Hoarder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:12 pm 

Worth seeing, but wish they coulda had german planes/inverted engines instead of spanish planes though i understand the difficulty. Detracted from the movie to me. They don't look as mean, sleek, and german, with the merlins and the smiling chin scoops. Great spitfire and air-to-air footage, enjoyed the story.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:21 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Even 40+ years after the fact, it still has some of the best flying scenes ever recorded. Some of the blue screen effects are cheesy (such as the scene where the English CO of the Polish Squadron is in his Hurricane), but were the best technology had to offer at the time. Still, some of the scenes still send a shiver through my spine.

The character development was thin, but who cares! It was just enough that you could bring a chick to the movie and not bore them to death.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:38 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

On the plus side: The flying scenes and the hardware were awesome. They also did an excellent job of telling the story of the ebb and flow of the battle. The soundtrack is an all-time favorite of mine.

On the minus side: Susanah York was a real cutie, but she and the two subplots around her (the love story and the British version of the WAC's) didn't add a thing to the movie. Some of the special effects don't hold up very well, but 1967 technology was... 1967 technology.

Probably the best part about the movie was that it arguably jump started today's warbird movement.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:01 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Speedy wrote:
I speak for Pilgrim too in that it is a Buchon lover's dream.

The Two Brads give it (snap...snap) Two Thumbs Up!

TESTIFY!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:18 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I always forget whether it is "Battle of Britain" or "Mosquito Squadron" which opens with a nice panoramic flyover of London, and I always wonder WHY the Germans never bothered to drop bombs on the nuclear power plant visible in the background... I mean, it would have been a no-contest, wouldn't it?

Scott :D :drink3:

I am a reenactor, have been since the early 1980s, and I am an aviation enthusiast, PILOT, A&P mechanic, and military vehicle owner. I have restored cars, trucks, and antique radios. These are MY hobbies- What are YOURS?.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:34 am 

Kyleb wrote:
Some of the special effects don't hold up very well, but 1967 technology was... 1967 technology.
That's my only criticism; the 'fireballs' were pathetic even given the technical limitations of the time as were the overlays and repeating some of the same scenes was pointless except to pad out the film.

Don't mind the subplots, it was intended for a wider non-geek audience after all, and fast-forward works wonders. Still a 4 and a half though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:48 am 

this was the first film i was allowed to go to by self...so it has a lot of memories for me and it's history of being the jump start for the warbird industry makes it a 5 for me.
:spit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:14 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I gave it a five. One of my all time favorites. The music still gives me chills. If you get the dvd, be sure to watch the "back Story". It's really interesting and funny.

Mudge the chilled :drink3:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:25 pm 

Simply THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER!!!!
If your windows don't Rattle with the sound maxed out you're doing it wrong!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:43 pm 

It's my second-favourite movie of all-time. Just pure warbird porrnnography from start to finish (oh, and Susannah York in her smalls, of course!)

A solid 5/5.

Daz