Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Rate A Bridge Too Far
5 Stars 33%  33%  [ 15 ]
4 Stars 41%  41%  [ 19 ]
3 Stars 15%  15%  [ 7 ]
2 Stars 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
1 Star 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Never watched it 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 46
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:11 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Today's movie is a bridge too far. Please vote in the poll and reply to this threads with your thoughts about the movie. What you loved... or hated about it. Thanks.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:18 pm 
Account Suspended

Brilliant music.

Great cast and fantastic takeoff sequence

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:25 pm 

Always one of my favorite movies, and one of the last 'get-all-the-stars-we-can' films. Important story because it centers around an Allied plan that didn't work. I love that much of it was filmed on the actual locations in question.

Joe Strummer, 1999

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:41 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

fotobass wrote:
Always one of my favorite movies, and one of the last 'get-all-the-stars-we-can' films. Important story because it centers around an Allied plan that didn't work. I love that much of it was filmed on the actual locations in question.

Pretty much my thoughts. That said...here are some more just to fill out the post. :wink:
The Allies were successful because of their ability to make decisions "on the scene". Don't know how much of the internecine bickering, shown in the movie, was fact (the, "I don't take my orders from you" type of stuff.) but if some of that really happened, heads should have rolled.

Mudge the critic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:51 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I love the film, but I feel it get s a little muddy in the middle, story-wise.
Fantastic effort overall bring such a complicated event to film so the masses acan understand it.
Again, John Addison's score is wonderful!
Jerry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:46 pm 

I love this film, and know quite a number of the cast and crew personally (not the big-name ones though ;))
To try to condense Op Comet and Op Market Garden into one book is hard enough, to try to make a move from that without missing things out or compressing things would be impossible.

Gets a four-star from me, for a continuation of a myth or two and the entirely understandable iffy props in places.

I recommend watching this back-to-back with Theirs is the Glory, filmed on location in 1945 and with many of the guys that were actually there a year earlier.

PB

401BG Association Historian & Honorary Life Member
401BG Historical Society (UK) Member
1st Air Division HQ Historical Society (UK) Founder Member
Director of Archives & Collections, Airfield Research Group Archive, Alconbury
RAF Alconbury Base Historian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:41 am 

I've just returned from Arnhem and the annual remberence service so I may be biased about this film.
It's main weakness was that its history of the second world war from an American point of view ie it was Montgomery's idea so wrong from the out set.
I'd agree about watching 'Their's is the glory' which was made less than a year after Market Garden in the ruins of Arnhem / Oosterbeek, using many of the soldiers who were there (that's why the acting is so bad). I dread to think of the effect that had on their PTSD.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Certainly one of my favourite films, and one I know pretty well having researched some of the background over the years.

Aeronut wrote:
It's main weakness was that its history of the second world war from an American point of view ie it was Montgomery's idea so wrong from the out set.

How so? It was Montgomery's plan, and the film was far from an American re-write of history*, dealing with the Germans, Dutch, British and American stories pretty even-handedly, IMHO.

The film was directed by a (very) British chap, Levine was probably better thought of as Jewish as much as he was American, the book was by an Irishman, adapted (pretty faithfully, IMHO) by an American.

The tank chaps having a 'brewing up' rather than pushing on was the only potentially ant-British element in the film that was unsupported by a real even AFAIK. Certainly there's plenty of American heroics, but all based on real events as were the British heroics. I've never read that any of the real commanders did not feel that their roles were not depicted correctly, and there were a remarkable number of the British commanders alive and involved. (Actor Bogarde didn't like the portrayal of Browning, but it's far from a character assassination - they could've taken a number of real traits and made him look worse than the film did.)

Incidentally, following the screenwriter thread, here's an interesting factoid re- Yeager and The Right Stuff:
Quote:
[William] Goldman was the original screenwriter for the film version of Tom Wolfe's novel The Right Stuff; director Philip Kaufman wrote his own screenplay without using Goldman's material, because Kaufman wanted to include Chuck Yeager as a character; Goldman did not.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Goldman

Good point about PTSD, I agree! Of course that 'didn't exist' as far as the support of soldiers existed then.

Regards,

*See the grizzly Pearl Harbor or Uwhateveritwas for that kind of junk. To ave John B mentioning it, the British equivalent is The Sound Barrier.

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:25 am 

The tank chaps having a 'brewing up' rather than pushing on was the only potentially ant-British element in the film that was unsupported by a real even AFAIK.

I don't usually contribute to "pole" threads, but this one is different.

I would give ABTF a hard 4+ for condensing the scope of Operation Market-Garden into the time allotted. Historically it is generally accurate with the usual compositing common to Hollywood regarding characters and events.

My personal special interest area is Pathfinders--which grew out of a study of the 504th PIR of the 82nd--the guys who made the crossing of the Waal.

To the initial point above, I am flattered to say that two of the officers who led the crossing of the Waal River consider me their friend, Jim Megellas and Moffatt Burriss. Both have written books of their wartime experiences which are in print.

Contrary to the film version of history, it is accepted fact (by those who were there) that Julian Cook (CO 3/504) [Robert Redford] did not make the initial crossing with H and I Companies. It should also be noted that the crossing shown was the first of several. In each case the boats were returned to the starting point by members of C/307 Airborne Engineer Battalion.

Specifically to the point, the American-Brit scene happened--but--It was not Cook (Redford) who confronted the British tank commander (Capt. (later Lord) Carrington)---it was Moffatt Burris. You can find several interviews of Moffatt and Maggie on YouTube as well as in extracts from documentaries such as "History Vs Hollywood".

The chaplain depicted (though not named) in the initial crossing is Delbert Kuehl--another hero I have had the honor and privilege to correspond with.

One 504 vet I knew and corresponded with for many years told me, "Combat, especially close combat, is savage. What happened after our boats hit that river bank in Holland was the absolute reduction of man into animal..."

After that...a seemingly insignificant aside in the "get the paint right" category...the film shows the troops making the crossing in the newly issued M-43 OD (green) combat uniforms. In fact the 504 was the only airborne element that made the jump in Holland still wearing the old M-42 (khaki) jump suits which were standard in Italy and Normandy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:35 pm 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

I watched the DVD and it had the worst sound mix ever! I'm not sure if it has been fixed but I've read lots of people say the same thing...just a side note to the movie if anyone was thinking of buying it.

I enjoyed the movie and it does tell an important story.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Pathfinder - thanks for a very interesting update and correction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_ ... Nijmegen_3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Carr ... Carrington

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:10 pm 

I enjoyed the Dak take-off sequence and paratroop drop but found that the story
ultimately suffered due to the script having to cram in screen-time for all the stars.

The Aircraft-Spotter's Film & Television Companion (2016)
Fairchild C-82 Packet: The Military and Civil History (2017)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:37 pm 

I'm a military vehicle buff, so that has to be the thing that jumps out in my mind. Fortunately the movie is more of a airborne movie. To me this movie is (Hopefully) on of the last big budget films that was pre CGI so they had to work with props, and modern vehicles with WW2 paint. There were a few Shermans and Micheal Caines scout car were good but of corse the german Tigers were 70's ear Leapords.That said the acting was great and story good.