Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:08 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Is there any hope for this B-17? It's been sitting for decades along a highway in California and gotten nailed by trucks a few times. I've read it belongs to the USAF Museum. It seems like the Museum needs to take control of it like they did with Memphis Belle. Maybe get it to a museum that would take care of it......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:21 pm 

ive noticed in the book the final cut that there are numerous, lets say several, b17s that are on static display as gate guards and other outdoor monuments. are there any plans or ambitous individuals that are trying to wrangle these planes from their present owners for possible restorations?? some of the planes that are being restored have started off in less than stellar condition. im wondering if it wouldnt make better economic sense to lay the big bucks down up front for something that had more to offer than a data plate??. i know that this might be a bit of a simplistic theory but some of these other planes out there look like they need saving before its too late. prestons pride is a prime example of this. return to glory, and those two planes down in bolivia also come to mind. i guess you can do what you want with it if you own it, but it sure would be nice to see a few more in the air!!! just my two cents worth. sim.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:08 pm 

I was down in Tulare, CA last week for work, and of course had to visit the B-17 to see if it looked any better from my previous visit in 2006. It has seen a little attention since my last visit, but it almost appeared to be a two steps forward, one step back scenario.

The engine cowlings had been repaired and some paint work had been done since the last time I visited her, but it sure would be great to see this one get the attention that it so deserves-- the vets from the 379TH BG deserve better than this!

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:29 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Does anyone who paints these treasures even bother to do research on a corret paint job? Another fine airframe rotting away!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I contacted Preston's Pride when we were making some items for our B-17. They said that they don't need anything and that they feel this aircraft is "Up to snuff". I was also told it was not a NMUSAF aircraft. The sad thing is that our Grissom bird is in worse shape. Also who would get it? I know first hand that the number of museums both flying and static that can take on a B-17 are very few.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mustangdriver wrote:
I contacted Preston's Pride when we were making some items for our B-17. They said that they don't need anything and that they feel this aircraft is "Up to snuff". I was also told it was not a NMUSAF aircraft. The sad thing is that our Grissom bird is in worse shape. Also who would get it? I know first hand that the number of museums both flying and static that can take on a B-17 are very few.

Chris, The solution to that is an easy one. When ShooShooBaby leaves, the NMUSAF will need a "G" model.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:22 pm 

Pat, the NMUSAF still owns more B-17G's, that are sitting outside rotting away in some cases, as gate guard's. And some of those are getting some much needed TLC as evidence on this forum. If "Preston's Pride" could be purchased by another person or museum that could better car for it, that would be great. Or if whom ever currently owns it could put it into a building of some kind, that would be just great too in my opinion. But personally I'd love to see all the WW2 fighter's bomber's, etc, put inside to be better protected from mother nature. And I agree with you Pat NMUSAF will need a G model to go with the Swoose and the Bell. :) I am hoping to make the trek there some time in the future to check everything out there.

Travis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[quote="Pat Carry When ShooShooBaby leaves, the NMUSAF will need a "G" model.[/quote]

They have plenty of historic types with only 1 or 2 examples that don't cover all the various models.
B-52, B-47, C-54 all come to mind.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:28 pm 

My only question is ... If the Museum has the Belle, then adds a G Model ... and of course the Swoose .. what do they take out ? The gallery is filled now. Unfortunately there is only so much room ..

Volunteer: National Museum of the US Air Force (2007-2016)
LTM 381st Bomb Group Memorial Association

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:50 am 

I am back in Tulare, California again this week, and with some hesitation, I went out to visit "Preston's Pride"-- I knew better to hope that it had seen any attention, but I was also cringing inside hoping that it had not suffered any more injustices in the last year since my last visit. It was bittersweet to see that it looks just the same-- patiently waiting for someone to give her the love she deserves!

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:18 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

That left hand nose window (just above the chin turret) didn't appear damaged in your previous shots. Also, it looks like the rear most cockpit window on the left-hand side was damaged as well. :(

Compare:
spriso wrote:

vs.
spriso wrote:

Does much remain on the inside of this 'bird? The nose seems pretty cleared out.
spriso wrote:

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:54 am 

Noha307 wrote:

Quote:
That left hand nose window (just above the chin turret) didn't appear damaged in your previous shots. Also, it looks like the rear most cockpit window on the left-hand side was damaged as well. :(

The plexiglass was pretty crazed-- I seem to remember that from before-- the sun was so low on the horizon that it really emphasized it in the photos. Still, the sun is doing it's damage...

The aircraft is stripped on the inside as far as I could tell.

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:15 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

If this aircraft was moved inside a building, would anyone passing by be able to appreciate it? For now it is viewable by anyone for free. I kind of like it. Perhaps they can put some heavy guardrails around it though to protect it from sleepy truckers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:48 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

If it does not belong to the NMUSAF then who is the actual owner?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

cooper9411 wrote:
If it does not belong to the NMUSAF then who is the actual owner?

A private group that can't see the good and common sense in selling the B-17 to Tom Reilly. They get money to make a better memorial, and another 17 gets into the air.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?