Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:13 pm 

Jesse C. wrote:

Along with Sally B, with its wrong turrets and F nose, it just looks bad. But I guess our European cousins don't really care about much accuracy in their birds.

Or do they? :axe:

Not a very friendly or respectfull comment. At least we dont have mustangs or sea furies heavily modified and painted in pink to turn around a few pylons.
Just kidding

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:30 pm 
Newly minted Mustang Pilot

As someone here once said "what color is your B-17?" I think it does deserve to be restored to (stock condition) and her original 351st BG colors...but it's not mine. I think it's "neat" that the USAFM restored Shoo Shoo to flying condition BUT, a lot of the original airframe is spread all over the place. In my opinion, that was a huge mistake. It was all there when it was brought out of France and kind of tragic it wasn't given the "Memphis Bell" treatment. Good airworthy parts were installed for 10 hours of flying at the cost of compromising an historic airframe. Back then it was an entirely different philosophy. Our 909 has Shoo Shoo's #3 nacelle...other bits are with other projects.

edited

Jim

Last edited by JimH on Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Am I missing something? She already sports 351st BG markings, with her original code letters and serial - just not bare metal (kinda like another well known combat-vet B-17, "Shoo, Shoo, Baby").

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:38 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Starfighter wrote:

@ Ken, i only know this picture from herr.Photo from Flypast.

Are you sure that's 44-8846? It looks like it has the earlier three-piece side gun windows.

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:53 am 

From Facebook post of one of the association working and flying the planes based à La Ferté Alais, the idea is to kept the systems in working condition and performing time to time taxis. And starting a complete assessment of the airplane to have a complete list of work required to bring to airworthy. No more at this time.

They are also in the final stage of restoring their Corsair (in Korean war marking) to airworthy condition after a long static period.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:57 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Starfighter wrote:
Hi,
Would be great when she can wear her colours from ww2, that would be the best option in my opinion.
I do not know if this is going to be looked at her restoration in the future???, also with the nose, and some details.

@ Ken, i only know this picture from herr.Photo from Flypast.

I wonder if that is in fact a picture of her during wartime because that bird has the non staggered waist window config whereas pink lady is staggered waist.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:02 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

JimH wrote:
As someone here once said "what color is your B-17?" I think it does deserve to be restored to (stock condition) and her original 351st BG colors...but it's not mine. I think it's "neat" that the USAFM restored Shoo Shoo to flying condition BUT, a lot of the original airframe is spread all over the place. In my opinion, that was a huge mistake. It was all there when it was brought out of France and kind of tragic it wasn't given the "Memphis Bell" treatment. Good airworthy parts were installed for 10 hours of flying at the cost of compromising an historic airframe. Back then it was an entirely different philosophy. Our 909 has Shoo Shoo's #3 nacelle...other bits are with other projects.

edited

Jim

I always wondered where the no3 nacelle came from and now I know.Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:52 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

JimH wrote:
909 has Shoo Shoo's #3 nacelle...other bits are with other projects.
Wow, I'm amazed that I didn't know that, considering all the time I spent with that plane during her North Florida tours when I still lived there...

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:39 pm 

Warbird Kid wrote:
But I still, for the life of me, cant get over Sally B's current scheme. The Memphis Belle scheme does not look good on a G model. That B-17 should be repainted to something else. Funds providing of course .

That's the issue for Sally B though - funds, or rather lack of, its a struggle every year just to keep her in the air.

She's been flying almost uninterrupted on the UK display circuit for 40 years now, and probably could do with a complete overhaul and rebuild, but there's just not the funds.
There are many that think that the money from the filming of the Belle, should have been used post filming to do just that, but, the owners chose to continue to fly on the back of the film, and are still doing so some nearly 30 years after it was made.

But.......as said, it's their aircraft, and their decision.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:12 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Any update on Pink Lady?
Who is the current owner?

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ