Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Fairey Gannet Registry
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:06 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Next up on the list is the Fairey Gannet, yeah I know, but the ugly aircraft need love too.

I've revamped the design of the main page and updated a couple of entries. Brian Johnstone has sent me a bunch of pictures and leads on aircraft that aren't in the registry but more are always welcome. I've updated a couple, you can tell by the dates in the codes. I start my long work week so I won't be working on these until Thursday at earliest. It would be cool if people could post pictures or info before then.

Brian has given me leads on the following aircraft
Brian Johnstone wrote:
RE GANNET XG883
See attached photo taken at the Fleet Air Arm Museum, Yeovilton in 1970. It is a Model T5. Construction # F9412
It went from FAAM to Wales Air Museum, Cardiff Airport and then the Museum of Berkshire Aviation, Woodley

RE GANNET XL500
See attached photo taken at RNAS Culdrose airday whilst being operated by Dowty Rotol on Prop noise trials, hence the long mike boom on the near side. Since taken UK Registration G-KAEW With Kennet Aviation at Exeter for rebuild. Construction # F9459 it is a Model AEW3.

RE GANNET XL497
See attached photo. Was gate guard at RNAS Prestwick for many years but now with Dumfries & Galloway Aviation Museum. Is an AEW3 Model and Construction No F9456

RE GANNET XL450
Model AEW 3, Constuction # F9433. located at Flugaustellung L and P Junior, Hermeskeil, Germany

RE GANNET XL472
Model AEW3, Construction # F9441. Located at Gatwick Aviation Museum, Charlwood, UK - England

RE Gannet AS-00 Indonesian Navy
Model AS4, Construction # F9127. Located at Museum Abri Satriamandala, Jakarta, Indonesia

RE GANNET XA446
Model COD4, Construction # F9319. Located at Fleet Air Arm Museum, Yeovilton

RE GANNET UA+110 German Navy
Model AS4, Construction # F9391. Carries false Ser #UA+106. Located at Luftwaffenmuseum, Berlin - Gatow, Germany

RE GANNET XA459
Model ECM6, Construction # F9312. Currently stored located at White Waltham, UK

RE GANNET XT752
Model T5, Construction # F9137. To USA Registration N752XT. Thought located at Goose Bay, Canada

RE GANNET XL449
Model AEW3, Construction # F9432. Reduced to nose only, Wherabouts unsure.

RE GANNET XL502
Model AEW3, Construction # F9461. To UK Register as G-BMYP, Now located Yorkshire Air Museum, Elvington, UK

RE GANNET XA334 Royal Austrlian Navy
Model AS1, Construction # F9226. Damaged during barrier landing on HMAS Melbourne. 6/67. Located at Camden Museum of Aviation, Narellan, NSW, Australia

RE GANNET UA+112 German Navy
Model AS4, Construction # F9394. Located at Technikmuseum Speyer, Germany

RE GANNET XG831
Model ECM6, Construction # F9373. Was at Flambards, Cornwall Air Park for many years now at Davidstow Airfield Museum, Cornwall, UK

RE GANNET UA+113 German Navy
Model AS4, Construction # F9395. Located at Aeronauticum, Nordholz, Germany

Additional info on these aircraft or others not listed would be welcome. Thanks.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:57 pm 

I photographed XT752 in Canada enroute from England to the U.S.A. around 1996, or whatever year it came to Polar Aviation.

I photographed XL482 at Bradley Airport (New England Air Museum) on 6 July 1989. It had been used by Hamilton Standard.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:53 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Thanks Barrie, I've added them to the registry and I will be uploading the overhauled files in a day or two. Thanks for the help.

This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:10 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Well the Fairey Gannet registry has been overhauled with nearly twice as many aircraft covered than in the previous version. The overhaul proved to be tricky at times since some of the aircraft sport multiple serial numbers (XT752 is actually WN365, yet both are correct!) And the non-British aircraft for the most part have a British serial number as well as a serial number for the country they went to. Keep that in mind when your looking for the German or Indonesian aircraft.

Please leave corrections or images on this thread and I will check back periodically

Thanks to Barrie MacLeod and Brian Johnstone for their help.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:42 pm 

NOT my photo of XA466 on the Ark.
The person who did submit the photo would probably like their name on it.
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:52 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Barrie MacLeod wrote:
NOT my photo of XA466 on the Ark.
The person who did submit the photo would probably like their name on it.
Cheers

Thanks Barrie, one error out of 25,000+ files isn't all that bad is it? Just agree and I won't send the WIX Black Ops team after you! :snipe: <grin>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:28 pm 

Well done.
Excellant job.
Thanks for ALL this.