Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:51 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

retroaviation wrote:
I've got plans for another airplane or two to show up here, I'm just trying to get the funding to get them here. But believe it or not, I AM trying to downsize a bit. Out of all of the mental issues I have though, collecting junk airplanes seems to be one of my biggest problems. I need to stop this vicious circle.

Although......a Fouga in the front yard does sound fun..............

;-)

Gary

I one-o-wonder 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:38 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

retroaviation wrote:
Although......a Fouga in the front yard does sound fun..............

And if you get the engines running, the sound alone keeps all unwanted visitors away! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:40 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Quote:
Out of all of the mental issues I have though, collecting junk airplanes seems to be one of my biggest problems. I need to stop this vicious circle.

Could be worse..atleast your compulsion serves a positive purpose. Of course, I have a stash of 400+ unbuilt model airplane kits in the basement, so what do I know... :roll:

SN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:13 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Gary Austin passed away in late October 2009, and I would like to record my thoughts at the end of this thread to again thank him for his efforts in saving Sea Bitch.

Gary was a special type of person, here was a man who bent over backwards to help me, as a stranger from the other side of the world, undertaking unpaid work other than fuel and accomodation, and then storing the aircraft for free for a number of years, as if we had been life long friends!

Our work together to save Sea Bitch was undertaken mostly by email with few phone calls, and little in the way of formal terms and conditions, more like a long distance hand shake. Just two aircraft enthusiasts sharing a common interest from either side of the world to save a forgotten warbird, as I have said elsewhere Gary is the true saviour of Sea Bitch, I had the easy job at the end of a cheque book.

Gary was a humble and true gentleman in all of my dealings with him, and that is how I will remember him for the rest of my life.

I had on my "to do" list a trip to the US in the future, to catch up with both Gary and Sea Bitch.

In the last month of his life Gary had seen Sea Bitch off to the Pima Air & Space Museum in Arizona, a location Gary had hoped she would end up at from the beginning.

The PBY - Sea Bitch (and B24 - Ol 927) will survive as testimony to Gary's efforts and love of old aeroplanes, but for those who dealt with him personally, I think he will be remembered mostly as the true gentleman that he was, a very rare type of person.

I'm very sad to hear of his passing, the world has lost someone important this week, who still had much to offer, and to enjoy, goodbye Gary and thankyou for your assistance and support.

This thread tells the story of just one of Gary's efforts to save old aircraft, and I would ask the mods to now lock this thread, a Wix condolance thread can be found elsewhere as "Gary Austin Fly Safe".

regards

Mark Pilkington

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:46 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I dont think the thread should end here. Pima now has it, we need a wixer to keep us informed until the job is done............Only then will the airplane be either "tagged" by a Kilroy or a RetroAviation Sticker be installed on the airplane somewhere as a job well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Gary RIP you will be missed by one and all.. Blue skies!

________

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7