Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:43 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

valdez25 wrote:
What ever happened to Bob "Snackbar" Schneider's PBY? I heard he died some time ago.

I saw him a few years back @ the CAF's Lancaster open house show. Is he still with us. He has a story to tell about him coming to the Stinson Airshow in San Antonio and flying with a few good men 8)

Lynn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:23 am 

Hi, great job! Having been present to see perfectly good planes chewed up for scrap I know how you felt. If TX was not so far away I would have offered to help (and maybe bid of one of the DC-3/C-47's to join my personal collection). Having helped move many of our museum's aircraft I know the hurdles you had to face. Looks like you made a good choice on the trucking, Les Chapman is a super nice guy (he let me "copy" his F-4 wing fixture design). Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:19 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Stinson was good. No Breckinridge but they don't have Hooter girls in Breckinridge either. Last time I saw snackbar he was at the dedication of the TBM at the Bush museum at A&M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:17 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

For those who have followed the story of "Sea Witch" so far.

I am pleased to advise the successful "placement" of Consolidated PBY-5A "A24-387" N68756 into a Private Australian Collection, the owners will identify themselves and publicise their acquisition in their own time, however I am pleased to confirm it will be coming to Australia for long term restoration and eventual static display.

I wish them well with their endeavours, and I hope to maintain ongoing contact with "Sea Witch" as she lives out her retirement in Australia.

I will continue to have an ongoing involvement in Cats through the Moorabbin Museum's rare RAAF "Black Cat" A24-88 which has just received a boost with the arrival of an early flat top turret.

I also wish to again publicly express my strong appreciation and thanks to Gary Austin for his support and efforts and assistance, without him "Sea Witch" would certainly have been lost into pots and pans, and I am proud to have been able to work with him on this "rescue mission".

Thanks to all of wix for your support.

regards

Mark Pilkington

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:56 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

"Snackbar" is alive and well. He got two new knees just before Christmas. We talk Skyhawks pretty regularly as he is the principal in the A-4s that are up at Saberliner.

Last edited by RickH on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:01 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Good to hear. There is nobody I would rather walk into a redneck bar with than Snackbar. Next time you see him ask him about the time we walked into Theons' finest bar. He and my son (no midget himself) got all the rednecks attention. No problems being served that night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:59 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Steve S wrote:
Trae- when did you take the shot- any idea why she was grounded.

Steve

corrosion, lots and lots of corrosion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:24 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

When will the ole girl make the trip to Australia?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:03 pm 

I am so glad that the PBY is going to a good home and will receive the care she needs. I spent many hours working on her at the American Super Bay hanger at SFO. If you look closely at the pictures of the RH side you cna make out the metal repair I made, about 10ft. aft of the bow. It was done to strengthen the area around the brake valve mechanism. She sure was fun to fly in.

RICK

p.s. I don't know when the name was changed, but when we had her the name was Sea Bitch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:40 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:
RICK

p.s. I don't know when the name was changed, but when we had her the name was Sea Bitch.

Rick, that was my mistake, she was - and is "Sea Bitch" smiles

I am not sure exactly when she will relocate, but I expect it will be in the next few months, and understand it will certainly be this year, based on the resources and planning I am aware of.

Regards

Mark Pilkington

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:11 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Well, I'm kinda bringing an old thread back from the dead here, but it's to say that the PBY that was also saved from the dead, should now be at it's new home. The fuselage was loaded on the truck here at Austin Acres two days ago and left for the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson, AZ yesterday. It was pretty neat to have been at least a small part in saving a cool old airplane from the scumbag scrappers. After all the work and a few years of storage, I'm glad to say that this airplane will now be given the care it needs, by the good folks at Pima, so that it can be on public display for folks to see for years to come.

(The wind was howling here on Monday, so I had to hang on to a strap to keep the airplane lined up with the truck, until we were able to lower it)......

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:16 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Glad I saw her there when I did! I guess that puts our pictures a bit out of date already!

Ryan

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:19 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

So, is the Stratolina losing her wings then? Good to see the Cat going to a good home! JOB WELL DONE SIR!!!! :drink3:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:10 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Holedigger wrote:
So, is the Stratolina losing her wings then?

Nope. The wings and tail are staying here. Only the fuselage went to Pima.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:04 pm 

OK, it's going to be me to ask the DUMB questions; where did Pima get wings to put on her; p.s. thanks for bringing up this thread, i joined here in 2008, so i've never seen this thread. REALLY cool!!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next