Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

C-47's used in "Band of Brothers"

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:12 am

Hi all,

After seeing most of the Band of Brothers series on the history channel recently. I saw quite a few DC-3's or C-47's that were used in the film. It seemed to me that there were at least 10 or 12 or perhaps more that were used during the sequences featuring the D-Day invasion combat drop. Did they actually use that many or did they use only a slight few, with added CGI graphic enhancements for those take-off and flight sequences or if they did in fact use so many of those aircraft, what became of them after the film sequences were done ?

Paul

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:44 am

I know at least 1 DC-3 that they used was G-DAKK

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0406190/L/

Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:22 pm

According to the "Making of" documentary they used four C-47's for the flying sequences. As I recall there were some mock-up's made for the background (I know not how many) and the rest is some terrific CGI work.

unrelated

Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:43 am

One of my fav tv series.. i loved watching it & now have the dvd set.. :D it was truly inspiring!

and i don't know why but this reminded me of the scene from Empire of the Sun.. in which the Mustang flys by and waves thru the open canopy! later u see it with the canopy shut.. i believe it was Mark Hanna flying it.. (does anyone know?) that one scene was very moving and inspirational!!

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:19 am

I believe it was Ray Hanna flying the Mustang because Speilberg wanted more of a "fatherly looking" pilot waving to our hero.
Jerry

Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:55 am

There were 4 used in the takeoff and loading sequences representing the takeoff from Uppottery. There was a fusalage that was used with a blue screen for the close ups and drop sequences. It was located on a gimbal in one of the sound stages for the interior shots and special effects.
Post a reply