Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:34 pm 

Wixers, I always wondered how he moved the big stuff to his property? Anyone know? Thanks, Rob S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:52 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

"I'm think about trying to contact one of his kids and see if they would summit a list of question from me to him. "

Do you know his children? I would be happy to forward you a list of questions if you would forward them to the family. Your reply is a bit confusing in it's wording.

I do want to be the "good guy" and tell his story, giving him his due.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:12 pm 

Quote:
I tried once to get the story of how and where he came into possession of my BT-13 but unfortunately he wouldn't come to the phone (so if anybody knows, call me!) I for one would really like to see a book written about the man and his passion as it must no doubt be a fascinating story. He did history a great service by collecting and preserving those airplanes for posterity - I'm sure my BT would have beer cans long ago had he not intercepted it.

Thank you, Mr Soplata.

According to the book , Walter purchased a BT-13 that had flipped over in a windstorm by borrowing $50 from his soon to be wife while they were dating.

The book "A Season of Eagles" by Robert Hull has an interview with Walter that tells how he hauled the planes in.

Kenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:53 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hi all--

Thanks for all the new info this thread has brought out.

I'd never previously seen that set of posted photos Martin vectored us to; comparing them to mine, and from what I know of stuff leaving the collection, I think the shots may be a year or two earlier than the fellow recalls them being, but no matter. All of the "plums" were still present; I bet that chap treasures his set of shots as I do mine...Couple curious details from those shots. First, looks like Walt repainted the intact TBM after I photographed it; second, he's taken apart the Valiant nearest the front of the yard, I wonder why?; third, that small twin-engined amphibian is completely new to me, in fact I don't even recognize the type...

Thanks, Jay, for the confirmation that Walt's Youngstown Museum of Aircraft and Radio DID in fact exist beyond Walt's plans. My parents visited Walt (Peggy, actually; Walt was away that day) while on vacation in Ohio about 1989, and Walt was working on setting that venture up at the time. As I recall, the F-82E and about four other types were to move to Youngstown; coincidentally or not, I think the list my dad wrote down (sadly long since lost) included about three of the eventual "escapees", and I have long wondered whether in fact those left the collection from Youngstown rather than Newbury. Your listing of what went to Youngstown is the first I have ever seen other than my recollection, faint as it is, of what my dad wrote down back in the day.

As to what left the collection, I listed those (to the extent I know them) further up in the thread. The Whittington '51H is news to me; I think that's probably a mixup with D-model N69X that went to Brian O'Farrell about 1980, but that said, there isn't much that would surprise me coming from Newbury! The P-47 is not an N, it's a D (the misidentification could well be my fault; I did think it was an N when I saw it and used to list it that way); it's just a fuselage and tail unit, but much has been accomplished starting with far less...And yes, that chapter in Bob Hull's "A Season Of Eagles", along with the one in the Hoffmann book, is a wonderful read. The profile in the Hull book was originally an Akron Beacon-Journal article by Charles Lally, and captures the essence of a chat with Walt brilliantly. And, as you might expect, the stories of some of the recoveries--using such vehicles as a '57 Chev truck, a '66 Chev wagon, a trailer made from a postal truck chassis, and a prewar White school bus--are priceless. (The school bus is still at Newbury, under the front end of a Neptune fuselage, and I would just love to restore that White as part RV/airshow bus and part museum!)

Cheers all,

Steve T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:22 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Steve T wrote:
The Whittington '51H is news to me; I think that's probably a mixup with D-model N69X that went to Brian O'Farrell about 1980, but that said, there isn't much that would surprise me coming from Newbury!
Steve T

The P-51H did come from Ohio, although the owner's name was Bill Hogan. I'm fairly sure he bought the plane surplus and then flew it for many years. It was Red and also white/brown within the timeframe of Hogan's ownership if I don't remember all wrong!

T J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

truck & flat bed trailer & lots of tickets from state troopers for cargo secured unsafely etc.

Post subject: Taking a B-36 home
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:30 pm 

Well I first read about him in " Hunting Warbird's " by Carl Hoffman 8) .

How the hell he got ALL of that B-36 home is just amazing! :shock:

14 trailer trip's I think from memory.

Weird old dude Walt :rolleyes: , would rather they all just rot in his yard :evil: , than do anything with them.

Just hope they do eventually get good home's after he has left us :wink: .

Cheer's all far and WIDE :partyman: , Tally Ho! :spit Phil :supz: in Oz :roo:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:10 am 

I know a great story involving a couple of friends of mine who actually contacted Mr.Soplata in the mid 80's and were actually picked up at the local airport by him.I will write the full story as soon as I clear it with them,Its rather funny and I was blown away when I discovered that they had actually been there.stay tuned. Tim :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:40 pm 

Hi Guys,

I have heard for years about the "Soplata Collection". And all of the postings to this thread are awesome. I think that Mr. Soplata should be appreciated for his preservation efforts. And hopefully, someday, alot of what he has will go to good homes for eventual restoration and hopefully, FLIGHT Worthy Status once more.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

paul, you hit it on the head!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:38 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Well, there's no doubt that this is a facinating story with more to come....