Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:06 am 
Digital Sniper

marine air wrote:
His collection could've been worth a couple million more bucks.

I dont think he is in it for the money.

Post subject: Re: Soplato collection
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:09 pm 
Taylorcraft Racing

Shay wrote:
JAY

I say again

Jay wrote:
Walter did have a museum at the Youngstown Airport from 1990-1997

Where was this at??!!

Shay,

Well that makes two of us? I've heard this rumor kicking around for years, but nothing to substantiate it. Steve T. heard it as well, I believe. The story I was told is that the Twin Mustang was stored in this Museum. I really would like to know if this is fact or fiction. Can anyone say for sure where the Twin Mustang was recorvered from when it was sold...Youngstown or Newbury?

Jim

Post subject: B-36
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:00 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I may be in the minority, but to me the real treasure that is left seems to be the B-36. Are there any groups/museums that would have the desire/knowhow/finances to discuss something with Mr. Sopolata? Does anyone know if that aircraft is substantially complete? If it's not, are there any parts floating around that would allow someone to at least cobble together another static display out of this one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:14 pm 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_B-36
Quote:
YB-36/RB-36E serial number 42-13571. This was the first prototype to be converted to the bubble canopy used on production B-36s. It was on display in the 1950's at the former Air Force Museum on Wright-Patterson Air Force Base near Dayton, Ohio. When the Museum was moved to a different location on the base the cost of moving the bomber was more than simply flying a different B-36 to the new location and the aircraft was slated to be scrapped. Instead, Walter Soplata bought it and transported the pieces by truck to his farm in Newbury, Ohio, where it sits today in several large pieces. The center fuselage currently stores a complete P-47N still contained in its original shipping crate.

Is that about the P-47N true? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:23 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

mennie wrote:
Is that about the P-47N true? :shock:

When I was there in '02, the P-47 was out of the crate sitting next to the FG-1D. I think that when they pulled the P-82, F2G, and B-25 out of there in the 90s, they re-arranged some of the aircraft. The XP-82 fuselage supposedly used to be up in the B-36, too, but it's out in the open now, too.

Post subject: Re: B-36
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:56 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

tulsaboy wrote:
the real treasure that is left seems to be the B-36. Does anyone know if that aircraft is substantially complete? If it's not, are there any parts floating around that would allow someone to at least cobble together another static display out of this one?

There are other wrecks that could supply parts and assemblies. I recall seeing a Peacemaker wreck that still had most of it's tail assembly in one peice.

http://cville.cna.nl.ca/ptilley/My%20Webs/B36page.htm

How much is out there? Who knows? But I still think it still worth the effort to restore that last possible restorable peacemeaker even if it takes 50 years to get all the peices.

Randy Haskin wrote:
The XP-82 fuselage supposedly used to be up in the B-36

Actually if I'm not mistaken Walter had 2 F-82s. One complete and the other with the fuselages separated. One of the fuselages hung in the B-36 and the other sat outside in the bushs behind some complete aircraft

Shay

Post subject: Re: B-36
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:53 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Shay wrote:
Actually if I'm not mistaken Walter had 2 F-82s. One complete and the other with the fuselages separated. One of the fuselages hung in the B-36 and the other sat outside in the bushs behind some complete aircraft

I read somewhere that Walter only *had* one fuselage from the XP-82, and that was the one hanging inside the B-36 and now outside...

...but I don't have any evidence of that at hand.

Post subject: Re: Soplato collection
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:13 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Amen. I’d never even heard of this guy until I read the book, “Hunting warbirds.” Frankly, I thought the author had made him up for a long time afterward.
There’s always some knucklehead out there who feels that someone with the means or money to acquire something historical somehow doesn’t have the right to it. For example, I own a WW2 Jeep that is documented being used by the Navy in WW2. Well, I’m an old Army guy, and that’s how MY Jeep is painted. Some folks in the area who know of this Jeep have come to shows and given me all kinds of crap about how I can’t have it painted that way. I tell them to go find their own Jeep and paint it the way they want it but to shut the F up. The funny thing is that of all these folks saying this stuff, NONE of them own Jeeps!
Armchair types. Gotta hate ‘em!

Jay wrote:
Sorry Randy but after your recent visit to Walters I feel compelled to comment.
I have known Walter since 1978 along with his collections of "JUNK". If not for Walter, Ed Maloney, Earl Reinert and others, we would not have some of the rare aircraft that we have today.
The reason Walter re-acts to people as he does is because he has been "beat up" by people invading his privacy. How many recent interviews have you seen concerning his collection? None, because in the past he has been referred to as a old junk collector that doesn't deserve to posess these rare aircraft.
People trespass on his property, they photograph without permission and publish these photos without permission. When they do write about Walter it is usually not in the best context.
Furthermore, all the postings of his address, maps to his property and satellite photos have brought more scrutiny by the 'powers that be" to further threaten his personal collection. Remember, this is his home, not a museum. (Walter did have a museum at the Youngstown Airport from 1990-1997)
We should all show a little respect and gratitude to Walter for his contributions to saving our aircraft heritage.
Jaybo

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

the topic of walt, & his collection always stirs up a beehive, in which i've been stung many times too.. yes, it's fascinating, but a nitro charged topic none the less. leave the old geezer be in his twilight years. all he wants is is privacy, & the joy of his collection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:55 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

leave the old geezer be in his twilight years. all he wants is is privacy, & the joy of his collection.

I agree to the extent someone should document his story, do it well, and with the implied thanks for what he did and has done. I'd love to go in there with him, and the only thing I'd leave with are a full tape recorder, and some pictures of Mr. Soplata and the aircraft he loves. I guess I've found my calling. I will try to set up the interview.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:41 pm 

Interesting guy, I have heard and followed his story for years.

He's kinda like Conney Edwards...........but different!

Post subject: Soplata Collection
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:48 am 

The museum that Walter had was located at the Youngstown-Warren Regional Airport. It was located at the main entrance near the terminal building. The building was a former maintainance facility used by the airport for storage of snow equipment and etc.
Walter had the fuselage of a Howard DG-A, T-28, P-82, BT-15 and his TBM. He also had approx. 12 engines on display as well as memorabilia. Everything was inside the building with no outside displays.
Jaybo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:36 am 

I flew into Youngstown in the 90's in the snow and looked at the P-82 for a prospective buyer (can't remember who!). It was in the "museum" building at the Youngstown airport along with the other items as Jay mentioned. I also looked at the single fuselage of the XP-82 which was in the same building. I then went to Walters home and looked around in his yard at the other relics. Couldn't see a whole lot due to the snow though. A week or two after I was there, David Arnold purchased the P-82 to narrow the time frame down.

Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:57 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

oscardeuce wrote:
I'd love to go in there with him, and the only thing I'd leave with are a full tape recorder, and some pictures of Mr. Soplata and the aircraft he loves. I guess I've found my calling. I will try to set up the interview.

That would be PHENOMENAL. Based on the show-n-tell that I got from him back in 2002, I think it would be an important piece of documentation for the warbird movement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:06 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Anyone have an idea, should I just call? Call someone else who would contact Mr Soplata. Any ideas out there, I do not want to "bother" him ( I respect his need for privacy), just get his story down.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next