Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:35 pm 
S/N Geek

It looks like I need to make a correction to the list. I'll get on that as soon as I can. The problem with the list is that it predates my habit of noting where I got what info. I don't remember where the info came from that indicated the airframe went to TN.

If anyone can help to provide dates of when an airframes were first spotted at Mr. Soplata's or when the first arrived please let me. Same goes for departure dates.

For that matter... any info that might be of interest to someone regarding Mr. Soplata's airframes would be welcome.

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:18 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hi all

while wandering aimlessly through the web, I came across this:

http://flickr.com/photos/61086689@N00/sets/723198/

nice details of some of the a/c.....

Cordially
Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:37 am 

Thanks for posting them, it provided a new prospective on how they are positioned. The photos as stated in one of the comments said they are from about 1993, with the B-25 Wild Cargo still there at that time.

Post subject: Soplato collection
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:58 pm 

Sorry Randy but after your recent visit to Walters I feel compelled to comment.
I have known Walter since 1978 along with his collections of "JUNK". If not for Walter, Ed Maloney, Earl Reinert and others, we would not have some of the rare aircraft that we have today.
The reason Walter re-acts to people as he does is because he has been "beat up" by people invading his privacy. How many recent interviews have you seen concerning his collection? None, because in the past he has been referred to as a old junk collector that doesn't deserve to posess these rare aircraft.
People trespass on his property, they photograph without permission and publish these photos without permission. When they do write about Walter it is usually not in the best context.
Furthermore, all the postings of his address, maps to his property and satellite photos have brought more scrutiny by the 'powers that be" to further threaten his personal collection. Remember, this is his home, not a museum. (Walter did have a museum at the Youngstown Airport from 1990-1997)
We should all show a little respect and gratitude to Walter for his contributions to saving our aircraft heritage.
Jaybo

Post subject: Re: Soplato collection
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:39 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Jay wrote:
Walter did have a museum at the Youngstown Airport from 1990-1997

Where was this at??!! I was up at the Youngstown Airport for 3 years (94-97) and I never heard of it or saw anything. The only warbird related stuff I saw while there was a derelict T-33 at the end of our ramp and Aluminum Overcast flew in for a tour.

Shay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:45 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Jay wrote:
We should all show a little respect and gratitude to Walter for his contributions to saving our aircraft heritage.

Agreed.

I do take exception, though, to your implication that I (since you identified me by name) am someone who thinks he's an idoit or not deserving of his aircraft.

Allow me to re-post some portions of my report from back on page 1:

Quote:
It is not a museum -- the airplanes are not there for display, but are the personal collection of Mr. Soplata.

Quote:
He purchased these airplanes over the years as his own hobby, and in many cases, has saved some one-of-a-kind airplanes from destruction when nobody else (especially the US military) cared about them.

Quote:
Anyone who meets Mr. Soplata may get the impression that he's a doddering old man. It's true that he doesn't come across as the brightest individual, but after spending an afternoon talking with him about his hobby and his airplanes, I realize that he's really just old and eccentric.

Quote:
He has an amazing memory when it comes to aviation, and especially recalling specifics about his airplanes. Every airplane we'd walk up to, he'd give me a detailed history of where he got it, how much he paid for it, and even specific service histories of the airframes he had. It's very evident that he cares about his airplanes -- he does what he can to protect them from the weather by covering up cockpits and canopies, and building small shelters over some

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:21 pm 
Digital Sniper

I keep hearing about him selling the B-52 some P-51 among others.
Now my question, I thought he said that none of the planes are for sale.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:44 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Jay wrote:
Sorry Randy but after your recent visit to Walters I feel compelled to comment.
I have known Walter since 1978 along with his collections of "JUNK". If not for Walter, Ed Maloney, Earl Reinert and others, we would not have some of the rare aircraft that we have today.
The reason Walter re-acts to people as he does is because he has been "beat up" by people invading his privacy. How many recent interviews have you seen concerning his collection? None, because in the past he has been referred to as a old junk collector that doesn't deserve to posess these rare aircraft.
People trespass on his property, they photograph without permission and publish these photos without permission. When they do write about Walter it is usually not in the best context.
Furthermore, all the postings of his address, maps to his property and satellite photos have brought more scrutiny by the 'powers that be" to further threaten his personal collection. Remember, this is his home, not a museum. (Walter did have a museum at the Youngstown Airport from 1990-1997)
Jaybo

His collection is awesome. His story is compelling. We should all be greatful he had the foresight to save these historiic aircraft. Now for reality.....
He's filled his private property with historic military aircraft. That's going to draw people's attention wheather he likes it or not. Nobody has the right to trespass on his property, but he is only "putting the spotlight" on himself by not putting those planes into some kind of shelter and getting them out of view. Having them sit out in the open is inviting scrutiny and critisim. His actions (or in action) beggs for attention. He's lucky the county hasn't stepped in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:53 pm 

I had the privilege of visiting Walter’s home and collection in about 1982. If I come across my photos I will post a few. I was an air traffic controller at Youngstown and heard of the place from pilots that had described it from the air. After driving to Newbury and having no idea of really where to go a policeman provided very good directions. There was one car in the drive when I arrived which turned out to a couple of other visitors. I knocked on door and a female voice from a second floor window approved my visit advising me to please do touch or climb on any aircraft. I found the opportunity totally fascinating to say the least. The visitors who had been there before me were taking pictures of each other in the cockpit of the B25…azzholes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:57 pm 
I tried once to get the story of how and where he came into possession of my BT-13 but unfortunately he wouldn't come to the phone (so if anybody knows, call me!) I for one would really like to see a book written about the man and his passion as it must no doubt be a fascinating story. He did history a great service by collecting and preserving those airplanes for posterity - I'm sure my BT would have beer cans long ago had he not intercepted it.

Thank you, Mr Soplata.

----------------------------------------------
Dan Jones
BT-13A USAAF 41-9642

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:53 am 

Reading about Mr. Soplata's Collection and about the Auctioning off of Mr. Ernie Simmon's Canadian stash in old circa 1970's issues of "Air Classics" magazines was one of the influences that lit the Warbird fire in me when I was a kid.Recoveries have always facinated me and here were two major sources of potential recoveries/restorations that were more than just distant memories.Too cool. Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:19 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I know I first heard of his collection 25 years ago, so the word has been out. I believe, that the Whittington's H model Mustang came from Soplata. I know they bought it from some eccentric parts collector.
Soplata likes the attention, most eccentric collectors like it and that is part of the reason he doesnt sell it all off. I think the record shows he does sell aircraft. They just aren't "for sale" per se, and he is an unmotivated seller.
My only criticism, is he should have sold a couple of the more valuable aircraft, and used the proceeds to build a couple of large, but simple storage buildings to get his stuff out of the weather. Not doing that has been financially dumb. His collection could've been worth a couple million more bucks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:51 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

JAY

I say again

Jay wrote:

Where was this at??!! I was up at the Youngstown Airport for 3 years (94-97) and I never heard of it or saw anything. The only warbird related stuff I saw while there was a derelict T-33 at the end of our ramp and Aluminum Overcast flew in for a tour.

Shay

Last edited by Shay on Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:06 am 
Digital Sniper

marine air wrote:
His collection could've been worth a couple million more bucks.

I dont think he is in it for the money.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:09 pm 
Taylorcraft Racing

Shay wrote:
JAY

I say again

Jay wrote:

Where was this at??!!

Shay,

Well that makes two of us? I've heard this rumor kicking around for years, but nothing to substantiate it. Steve T. heard it as well, I believe. The story I was told is that the Twin Mustang was stored in this Museum. I really would like to know if this is fact or fiction. Can anyone say for sure where the Twin Mustang was recorvered from when it was sold...Youngstown or Newbury?

Jim

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next