This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

"Tortoise and the Hare Air Race" FG-1D vs. "Nieupor t 28"

Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:17 pm

I just added a page to my Tallmantz section on the May 1961 'race' between Frank Tallman's FG-1D Corsair and Lincoln LF-1 "Nieuport 28." The race was flown from Los Alamitos, CA, to Pensacola, FL, over 10 days. It's not so well known today, but received a lot of press back then and was part of the 50th Anniversary celebration of Naval Aviation.

https://www.aerovintage.com/tallmantz-aviation/the-1961-tortoise-and-the-hare-air-race/

Re: "Tortoise and the Hare Air Race" FG-1D vs. "Nieupor t 28

Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:02 pm

Is that an ADF antenna under the Corsair's cockpit?
It also looks like its flaps are down to stay behind the Nieuport.

Re: "Tortoise and the Hare Air Race" FG-1D vs. "Nieupor t 28

Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:18 am

That pic reminds me that backck around 1970, Lt Cdr Pete Sheppard flew the Royal Navy Historic Flight's Sea Fury in formation with the Tiger Club's Rollason Turbulents at an airshow... The Fury had everything dangling and was very nose up with power in an effort to fly sufficiently slowly enough for the 30hp VW powered Turbs to keep up at full bore... Seen a pic of the event somewhere recently!
Post a reply