Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:13 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I think Jan-Michael Vincent might have got his helicopter ticket back in the “Airwolf” days.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:02 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Many, many films and TV shows simply tow the aircraft with the actor in it so it looks like they are actually taxing it. Sometimes a qualified pilot is ducking down,(if it's a two-seater) and actually manipulating the controls until the shot is done. This was done for "Red Tails" with a whole rig set up. In "Memphis Belle", that put the built up studio B-17 cockpit at the appropriate angle on a truck bed and "taxied" them around while shooting the actors in the cockpit.
If the actors are capable or have piloting experience, they may let them taxi the aircraft for short distances for the illusion.
All Hollywood Magic!
Jerry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:47 pm 

I was the screenwriter on a movie called The Aviator in the '80s. Not the good De Caprio Aviator, the not-so-good Aviator with Chris Reeve, for which I take some of the blame. It was an adaptation of an Ernest Gann novel--a mailplane pilot in the 20's on a Northern Rockies route takes a young girl passenger along--they crash, it's how they get out. Not very accurate--we shot the mountain stuff in Yugoslavia standing in for the Rockies and we had big-engine Stearmans from England passing off as Boeing Mailplanes.

Chris Reeve, you remember, was the star of the big Superman movie in the '80s, and he on his own had gotten his PPL. He told me his young kids were confused about whether Daddy could really fly through the air with a cape or in an airplane, and so he insisted, despite the howls from the insurance company, that there be one shot in the movie that would clearly show the world and his kids that he could fly an airplane. About the middle of the movie, he's in a Stearman back cockpit on a grass field with the engine ticking over, he gives it throttle, it gathers speed, the tail raises, the Stearman with Reeve lifts off and flies away to a dot in the distance. No cuts--it's clearly him. It's a pretty nice shot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:47 pm 

Double post. Sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dan Jones wrote:
I think Jan-Michael Vincent might have got his helicopter ticket back in the “Airwolf” days.

I was told by a Bell test pilot that Bell gave Universal a prototype/test cockpit for filming. Of course the fancy weapons controls were pure Hollywood.

In one episode, perhaps the pilot film,.they poke a bit of fun of Hollywood actors playing pilot. Some heartthrob brags to the media he learned how to fly for his role and Vincent's character makes him wet himself with some impressive flying.

One example on how not to fool the audience:
In In Harm's Way, Kirk Douglas sits in the B-25's right seat for a solo flight. The unseen guy in the left seat no doubt did the real taxi.

Last edited by JohnB on Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jungmann

Thanks for the nice "I was there" story.
A friend has a poster of that film hanging in his hangar workshop.

He actually owns one of the few surviving Stearman mailplanes.

I have a autographed copy of that book. Back in the '80s, Gann would autograph his books that were for sale at the bookshop in his hometown, Friday Harbor on San Juan Island, Washington.
They were out of Fate is the Hunter when I visited, but I kept their address and got one a couple of months later.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:43 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Jungmann wrote:
I was the screenwriter on a movie called The Aviator in the '80s. Not the good De Caprio Aviator, the not-so-good Aviator with Chris Reeve, for which I take some of the blame. It was an adaptation of an Ernest Gann novel--a mailplane pilot in the 20's on a Northern Rockies route takes a young girl passenger along--they crash, it's how they get out. Not very accurate--we shot the mountain stuff in Yugoslavia standing in for the Rockies and we had big-engine Stearmans from England passing off as Boeing Mailplanes.

Chris Reeve, you remember, was the star of the big Superman movie in the '80s, and he on his own had gotten his PPL. He told me his young kids were confused about whether Daddy could really fly through the air with a cape or in an airplane, and so he insisted, despite the howls from the insurance company, that there be one shot in the movie that would clearly show the world and his kids that he could fly an airplane. About the middle of the movie, he's in a Stearman back cockpit on a grass field with the engine ticking over, he gives it throttle, it gathers speed, the tail raises, the Stearman with Reeve lifts off and flies away to a dot in the distance. No cuts--it's clearly him. It's a pretty nice shot.

I liked that movie (I have it here on DVD). I know exactly the scene you're mentioning.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:50 am 

Part of The Aviator scene is featured on the trailer at 1' 08" -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:56 pm 

JohnB wrote:
Lynn Allen

About 20 years ago, someone at the AA museum just south of DFW told me a similar tale. Travolta would go to the AA training center for 707 training.
They apparently had the only 707 simulator still in use.

True!

Craig

Facebook Groups:

U.S. Marine Corps Sikorsky HRS / CH-19 Helicopter Database
U.S. Coast Guard Sikorsky HO4S / HH-19 Helicopter Database

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:38 pm 

Jungmann wrote:
I was the screenwriter on a movie called The Aviator in the '80s. Not the good De Caprio Aviator, the not-so-good Aviator with Chris Reeve, for which I take some of the blame. It was an adaptation of an Ernest Gann novel--a mailplane pilot in the 20's on a Northern Rockies route takes a young girl passenger along--they crash, it's how they get out. .

Thanks for unmasking, would you be interested in starting a thread about the making of that movie? In the book the girl was 11 and the dynamic was the emotionally damaged pilot rediscovering his "protector" side after the crash. As much as I liked her and was dismayed to hear what Weinstein did to her career, Rosanna Arquette was the wrong age for the story (26) and the change to an adult, spoiled rich bitch it totally changed the dynamic, I'm kinda curious about how it got changed around.