Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

From Brad Pilgram's post, it sounds like the majority of the collection is going to go into storage. Aside from the few static aircraft that are already on display on Platinum. My guess is that the amount of money just sitting for a few years will be too much, and then we see them sold off. But time will tell.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:14 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

That FB post sure doesn't sound like they will be reopening again. It sounds like thanks for coming and we are done for good.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:22 pm 

JohnH wrote:
That FB post sure doesn't sound like they will be reopening again. It sounds like thanks for coming and we are done for good.

That's pretty much how I read it too. I've visited many major museums around the county, but hadn't made it to this one yet. Now it doesn't look like I'll get that chance.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:20 pm 
KiwiZac

The museum's website now has this on the front page:
Quote:
Important Museum Update
After thirty-one years at its Addison location, the Cavanaugh Flight Museum is closing for moving. All aircraft, educational displays and memorabilia are being moved to the North Texas Regional Airport (KGYI).

At the present time, this location is not open to the public.

Please sign up below, in order to receive updates on the progress of the museum as we begin a new chapter in its history.

To all that have supported the museum over the years – visitors, volunteers, donors and staff – thank you for helping keep these magnificent artifacts of time on display and available for generations to experience the rich history that these aircraft reveal to us.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:53 pm 

Zac Yates wrote:
The museum's website now has this on the front page:
Quote:
Important Museum Update
After thirty-one years at its Addison location, the Cavanaugh Flight Museum is closing for moving. All aircraft, educational displays and memorabilia are being moved to the North Texas Regional Airport (KGYI).

At the present time, this location is not open to the public.

Please sign up below, in order to receive updates on the progress of the museum as we begin a new chapter in its history.

To all that have supported the museum over the years – visitors, volunteers, donors and staff – thank you for helping keep these magnificent artifacts of time on display and available for generations to experience the rich history that these aircraft reveal to us.

A person employed with CFM in the past has commented on social media that this move appears to not be its permanent home and just a "holding place" until they figure out what to do next. They've also said it is unlikely for facilities to be built at that location.

I hope they can find a good home, even if it means moving out of state. It would be a shame to see the collection broken up due to lack of support or economic challenges. I wish them the best!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:44 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Many of these large private collections turn into museums for the obvious tax benefits. Losing their space must have been known for some time, perhaps years. I too am curious to know what the future holds for this collection. The Pond collection became much better after moving from Minneapolis to Palm Springs. Hopefully the Cavanaugh collection will do the same.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tho obvious problem is in major population areas, hangars/leases are expensive, almost prohibitively so, for a museum.

We are far from the old days of American general aviation where Beech, Cessna and Piper were turning out planes by the thousands. Despite that downturn, there are still a lot of planes out there, the bizjet market is thriving which helps keep hangar demands high.

At our local GA field where the 4500ft runway keeps out most jets (there are just a couple on the field), even with a recent building boom, there is a shortage.

If the museum at Palm Springs is doing well I'd make a guess it is because of the seasonal tourists and snowbirds.
DFW isn't exactly a big tourist destination.
Even in a tourist-rich environment, success isn't assured...ask Mr. Weeks.

In a larger city it is likely difficult for a medium size museum (as opposed to large outfits like the Museum of Flight in Seattle or the Intrepid in New York) to get enough attention to attract a lot of paying visitors.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The scrapman will be busy!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:48 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

JohnB wrote:
If the museum at Palm Springs is doing well I'd make a guess it is because of the seasonal tourists and snowbirds.
They have many events with speakers, offer rides (Stearman, T-6 & P-51) and have a cafe. Last time I was there it was quite busy. They even have an F-117 on display in a custom built hangar. It's a very nice place!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:01 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

WENDOVER IS ALWAYS OPEN TO HOSTING AIRCRAFT!!
In all seriousness, we have great runways (10,000x150 and 8000x100) with lots of flying space, hangar space at dirt cheap compared to other places, and the tourism bureau tells us that 2 million plus travelers pass Wendover each year AND we have significantly increased our museum guests over the past few years. Hosting a collection of aircraft would be something we would be HAPPY to do.

Yes, a dream I know, but you gotta have a dream!

Tom P.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

wendovertom wrote:
In all seriousness, we have great runways (10,000x150 and 8000x100) with lots of flying space, hangar space at dirt cheap compared to other places, and the tourism bureau tells us that 2 million plus travelers pass Wendover each year AND we have significantly increased our museum guests over the past few years. Hosting a collection of aircraft would be something we would be HAPPY to do.

Tom P.

If you don't take the shot, you'll never know what you can miss! From a few inquiries last year I was able to not only have Thom stop in with his P-40 for an hour or so, but also get the CAF to do rides with the P-51, C-45, and T-6. Keep at it! I'm still routing for you guys to get a B-29! If only Kermit would be willing to part with his second example!

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:16 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Warbird Kid wrote:
wendovertom wrote:

Tom P.

If you don't take the shot, you'll never know what you can miss! From a few inquiries last year I was able to not only have Thom stop in with his P-40 for an hour or so, but also get the CAF to do rides with the P-51, C-45, and T-6. Keep at it! I'm still routing for you guys to get a B-29! If only Kermit would be willing to part with his second example!

As The Great One once said, "You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:43 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Looks like the museum is moving to Denison, for now. No word on if they will reopen there, or if it's just for storage for now.