Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I find myself (more times then not) while visiting Air Museums, I end up saying to myself: "Boy, if I was in charge, I'd do this... and that... and this...etc". Almost always involving building / campus layouts, and what could be done in the future to better display their aircraft, or better tell the story their museum is trying to tell. I've made several concepts using Photoshop and Illustrator in the past, and I decided to make this kind of a series, and I figured whenever I got the urge to make one, I'll share it with you guys, in case you're curious and like hanging out in "What If" land.

Disclaimer: This is a personal quest to satisfy my own curiosity and create a visual representation of any modifications / additions / etc. to an existing air museum. In no way, shape, or form am I trying to criticize the staff / management of that establishment. I do not represent the featured air museum and these design concepts are purely made from me. I welcome any questions, comments, concerns, and especially corrections of any info from any members of the highlighted museum.

Original Image
This is how the Mid Atlantic Air Museum looks today. A truly unique air museum, with a massive collection (most in storage off site). Situated not only on a WWII USAAC airfield, but in an actual original WWII B-24 hangar, amongst other smaller airfield buildings from that era! Not to mention of course the museum's newly built hangar, which I believe still is in the process of getting a certificate of occupancy and will eventually hold the P-61. There is also the pavilion building, vehicle building, T Hangars (which I think they own or partially own), and the eventual goal to build a WWII Control Tower and AAF hardstand. Of course I'd be remised to not acknowledge the French Village and other smaller buildings associated with there famous WWII Weekend.

So the reason I decided to make a mockup of what could be, is because I've visited the museum on WWII Weekend for more then a few years, and had a great time at the show. And realized just how much stuff they actually have (from the website) and how little of it was on display. Not to mention the larger planes outside are getting in rougher shape by the year. The Neptune and R4D both were Oshkosh award winners and flyable at one point. I think both would need a total restoration before flying again now. That being said, I thought about how MAAM could best properly house and preserve these aircraft, while being able to display the majority of there collection. For me the answer was.. a really big hangar of course!

Proposed Expansion
Utilizing the unique geography of the land immediately adjacent to the museum's buildings, is a large depression towards the frontage of the road. So I envisioned setting a massive concrete retaining wall along that cliff edge, and the one that spans the access road and filling it in, to double the existing parking lot. An entrance would be located there. The original hangar would be extended backwards and include a second set of interior doors to separate the now long hangar, into two similar sized sections if need be for events, etc. The P-61 hangar would then be used as the dedicated maintenance hangar for all of the flying aircraft. All restoration shop activity would then be moved over to the storage hangar across the airport. These former workshop spaces would then be used as new expanded displays / exhibit spaces.

The massive new hangar (think similar size to Geneseo but a little bit longer) would house the majority of MAAM's collection that are not airworthy. Since the museum boasts an impressive collection of golden age biplanes AND homebuilt planes, I could imagine a great deal of them suspended and flying all in the same direction (Kind of like NASM or MOF). Leaving the floor space for the larger aircraft (Viscount, Electra, C-119, R4D, Neptune, Etc.) A main entrance for bus drop off and pick up would be right next to the main road.

I think an reinvestment in the French Village would also be nice to see. My first question would be, is it possible to make these into fully usable homes, and when could I move in? I think that would be a really neat feature to have actual living history people in era homes that opened them up to tours and whatnot. But that's another project.

These major expansions would finally allow MAAM to display most, if not all of its collection. Of course these ideas and plans are cheap to dream up. To actually DO it is an entirely different pain in the neck. Not to mention, it would probably cost $25 million to accomplish it. But a Warbird Kid can dream right? Hope you liked it!

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

Last edited by Warbird Kid on Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:47 pm 

Neat idea for a thread and a lot of work on your part. An enjoyable read, thanks for deciding to share!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thomas_Mac wrote:
Neat idea for a thread and a lot of work on your part. An enjoyable read, thanks for deciding to share!

Thanks! Hope people don't take it the wrong way and think I'm just trying to steamroll over that group and whatever plans they may for the future.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:28 am 

There is significant elevation change to the north of the existing hangars. An expansion of the museum hangars would require a large amount of fill and a retaining wall, not saying it cant be done. View from the road looking south:

https://goo.gl/maps/p6FDsmCCYSyUccRf9

Also, I believe the B-24 hangars are on the other side of the field, and are not the museum hangars.

B-24 Hangar:

https://goo.gl/maps/CdoyZk961gEbBgrD8

I like the idea of this thread... Title should be more like "If I donated so much $$$$ they made me a Board Member...."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:40 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I play this game with museums sometimes, too. In the past, I'd daydream about warbirds I'd buy if I won the lottery. Now, I don't think I'd want the responsibility of owning anything and would rather give to museums or organizations that are already doing great things and might need extra financial help. It's fun to think about.

After visiting for WWII Weekend, MAAM would be a museum I'd love to support. It would be nice to see some of the outdoor aircraft moved indoors if someone had the money to support a new building - not to mention additional funding for the P-61 restoration. Maybe I'll hit the jackpot one day.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

menards wrote:
There is significant elevation change to the north of the existing hangars. An expansion of the museum hangars would require a large amount of fill and a retaining wall, not saying it cant be done. View from the road looking south:

https://goo.gl/maps/p6FDsmCCYSyUccRf9

Yep, a very large retaining wall would be needed, but I think that would be so cool to have the hangar cut into the ground. Similar to how the Collings Foundation's original hangar was built into the side of a hill.

menards wrote:
Also, I believe the B-24 hangars are on the other side of the field, and are not the museum hangars.

B-24 Hangar: https://goo.gl/maps/CdoyZk961gEbBgrD8

I'm pretty sure that hangar is the original civilian hangar built around 1938 for passenger and general aviation flight operations. The main MAAM hangar is identical to the other hangars on the opposite side of the field and AFAIK, were built by the USSAC for 24s and other aircraft from that time.

menards wrote:
I like the idea of this thread... Title should be more like "If I donated so much $$$$ they made me a Board Member...."

Little more wordy but it may better explain the concept of this thread!