Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 4:19 pm 

bdk wrote:
Jesse C. wrote:
Sure hope the bring it to Chino for one of the shows.
Santa Maria?

A few things:

1) It is unlikely there will be another airshow at Chino. Everything is moving to Santa Maria, including the annual airshow.

2) It is unlikely they will bring one of their aircraft, including this one, all the way from the Midwest just to California. The fuel costs alone are staggering. I don't believe they've ever done that, unless one of their aircraft was already in the area for restoration, etc.

3) They do support a lot of the Midwest airshows and appearances in that region since geographically it is close to home and it is much easier logistically, not to mention much cheaper to support.

If you want to see this aircraft, I recommend you attend Oshkosh or one of the mid-western airshows it will attend in the future.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:31 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

OD/NG wrote:
A few things:

1) It is unlikely there will be another airshow at Chino. Everything is moving to Santa Maria, including the annual airshow.......

I thought that got clarified. Santa Maria should be considered another satellite location to Chino, not "everything is moving".....

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 12:18 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

sandiego89 wrote:
I thought that got clarified. Santa Maria should be considered another satellite location to Chino, not "everything is moving".....
Clarify as you like, and this isn't directed at you, but there are a lot of changes happening at the airport that have nothing to do with the museum. One of the old dome hangars (remember the 1941 Abbott & Costello movie Keep 'Em Flying?) burned down last year and the plan is to replace it with some kind of jet center. San Bernardino County isn't looking for museum visitors or publicity, they are looking for a tax base. Hopefully between Yanks and POF there will be enough monthly events to keep the locals entertained.

I speculate that Chino will revert to a storage location for the static aircraft (and those aircraft seldom flown) while Santa Maria will house the regular flyers.

Just my opinion and I have no insider info!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:00 pm 

bdk wrote:
sandiego89 wrote:
Clarify as you like, and this isn't directed at you, but there are a lot of changes happening at the airport that have nothing to do with the museum. One of the old dome hangars (remember the 1941 Abbott & Costello movie Keep 'Em Flying?) burned down last year and the plan is to replace it with some kind of jet center. San Bernardino County isn't looking for museum visitors or publicity, they are looking for a tax base. Hopefully between Yanks and POF there will be enough monthly events to keep the locals entertained.

I speculate that Chino will revert to a storage location for the static aircraft (and those aircraft seldom flown) while Santa Maria will house the regular flyers.

I agree 100%.

The premise of Chino being a POF satellite location for a while is definitely true - nobody is disputing that. But, as BDK mentioned, there are many detrimental forces outside of POF's control which will effectively make the POF flying at Chino greatly diminished at some point and maybe even eliminated all together. In the future, either all or the vast majority of flying at Chino will not be practical for warbird flying. How long will it be? Nobody knows. Maybe it's 5 years,10, maybe 20 or longer? I've talked to the leadership at POF about this topic many times. Pretty much all of them think that this is an eventuality, but nobody knows the timeline. Hence, the move to Santa Maria to be proactive, rather than reactive.

Ever wonder why POF hasn't had an airshow in several years at Chino, even post-Covid? Well, there's a reason for that and it's driven by outside forces beyond the Museum's control. Encroachment is the single greatest threat to the survival of Chino Airport. As BDK says, the county/airport authority/board really is motivated by money, nothing else. It's the same thing that just happened at Stead airport and the Reno Air Races. Personally, I think it's an eventuality that Chino Airport ceases to exist. My belief is that it will be "'Santa Monica'd". I don't know when that will happen, but the land around the airport is just way too valuable. Does anyone remember back in the 70's and 80's when Chino Airport was considered "in the middle of nowhere", sandwiched in the middle of farms and cow pastures? Well, one by one, each farmer's plot is being gobbled up by multi-million/billion dollar corporations. As a farmer, it's kind of hard to resist the lure of many millions for your land. I don't blame the families for going this route, but at the same time, it will probably spell the end of Chino Airport at some point in the future.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 9:53 am 

OD/NG wrote:
bdk wrote:
sandiego89 wrote:

I agree 100%.

The premise of Chino being a POF satellite location for a while is definitely true - nobody is disputing that. But, as BDK mentioned, there are many detrimental forces outside of POF's control which will effectively make the POF flying at Chino greatly diminished at some point and maybe even eliminated all together. In the future, either all or the vast majority of flying at Chino will not be practical for warbird flying. How long will it be? Nobody knows. Maybe it's 5 years,10, maybe 20 or longer? I've talked to the leadership at POF about this topic many times. Pretty much all of them think that this is an eventuality, but nobody knows the timeline. Hence, the move to Santa Maria to be proactive, rather than reactive.

it's pretty much happening world wide....the RAAF Museum at Point Cook is close to suffering the same thing as there is now a wealthy suburb surounding it,

Ever wonder why POF hasn't had an airshow in several years at Chino, even post-Covid? Well, there's a reason for that and it's driven by outside forces beyond the Museum's control. Encroachment is the single greatest threat to the survival of Chino Airport. As BDK says, the county/airport authority/board really is motivated by money, nothing else. It's the same thing that just happened at Stead airport and the Reno Air Races. Personally, I think it's an eventuality that Chino Airport ceases to exist. My belief is that it will be "'Santa Monica'd". I don't know when that will happen, but the land around the airport is just way too valuable. Does anyone remember back in the 70's and 80's when Chino Airport was considered "in the middle of nowhere", sandwiched in the middle of farms and cow pastures? Well, one by one, each farmer's plot is being gobbled up by multi-million/billion dollar corporations. As a farmer, it's kind of hard to resist the lure of many millions for your land. I don't blame the families for going this route, but at the same time, it will probably spell the end of Chino Airport at some point in the future.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 10:01 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

bdk wrote:
sandiego89 wrote:

OD/NG wrote:
bdk wrote:
Jesse C. wrote:
Sure hope the bring it to Chino for one of the shows.
Santa Maria?

A few things:

1) It is unlikely there will be another airshow at Chino. Everything is moving to Santa Maria, including the annual airshow.

2) It is unlikely they will bring one of their aircraft, including this one, all the way from the Midwest just to California. The fuel costs alone are staggering. I don't believe they've ever done that, unless one of their aircraft was already in the area for restoration, etc.

3) They do support a lot of the Midwest airshows and appearances in that region since geographically it is close to home and it is much easier logistically, not to mention much cheaper to support.

If you want to see this aircraft, I recommend you attend Oshkosh or one of the mid-western airshows it will attend in the future.

Ok, then allow me to rephrase that

I hope they can bring her out to the West Coast! Sure would be cool to see her in formation with Dottie Mae

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 7:20 pm 

Quote:

I hope they can bring her out to the West Coast! Sure would be cool to see her in formation with Dottie Mae

I'd love to see that too, but I really want to see her fly with the two G models. All 3 airworthy razorbacks would be a neat formation.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 9:37 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

bomberfan wrote:
Quote:

I'd love to see that too, but I really want to see her fly with the two G models. All 3 airworthy razorbacks would be a neat formation.

I have no doubt that one of the major airshows will make this happen some day - just a matter of timing, money and pilot availability. It's something I could definitely see POF pulling off at Santa Maria.

Congratulations to DTAM on the flight of the P-47! I'm taking a year or two off from Oshkosh so I will miss it there this year, but hope to catch it elsewhere in the future. I love the paint scheme choice and am looking forward to seeing it finished!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 10:10 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

OD/NG, perhaps some of this thread is drifting off topic a bit. POF has had a 5 Thunderbolt gathering in the past as I recall. Perhaps they can have an "all-Razorback" gathering at Santa Maria?

Regarding the "off-topic" topic, perhaps worthy of a separate thread, does it seem that there are some parallels between what is happening to Cavanaugh at Addison and to the museums/airshow at Chino?

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 11:31 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

If you mean the 2014 show (wow, was it that long ago?) they managed four P-47s that year; their own, Snafu, Hun Hunter, and the Colorado Springs one. It was a bit disappointing, fans were hoping to see one or more of Wicked Wabbit, Hairless Joe, and Balls Out, but there were scrubs for one reason or another. Still, they had both of the then flying razorbacks.

August

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 2:13 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

k5083 wrote:
If you mean the 2014 show (wow, was it that long ago?) they managed four P-47s that year; their own, Snafu, Hun Hunter, and the Colorado Springs one. It was a bit disappointing, fans were hoping to see one or more of Wicked Wabbit, Hairless Joe, and Balls Out, but there were scrubs for one reason or another. Still, they had both of the then flying razorbacks.
Yanks had one (or both) of their P-47s on static display out on the ramp. There, but not flying. The good news is that they are working to get their P-47D back into the air. Their pace is not rapid, but they are about to fly the P-63 and are working on their P-51A. That's in addition to their P-40 which has been flying for a couple of years now.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:49 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Just the D model was pulled outside, I believe. I do look forward to them flying the P-51A. I did not anticipate 30 years ago that these planes would become active again. That collection has had some changes of direction over the years. It goes to show that sometimes planes I had written off as forever grounded, can come back to life.

August

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:37 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Speaking of P-47D's , the owner of "Wicked Wabbit" , John Shoffner is currently working for Elon Musk. He is a pilot on the Axiom 2 spaceship that launched earlier this week. First privately funded spacehip to go to the ISS . It also lists him as an investor.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:37 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

k5083 wrote:

August

They had four Jugs at the show in 2019 as well, including "Hairless Joe" which I had not seen previously. Also present were the two G models as well as "Dottie Mae".

Attachments:
m_DSCN2529.jpg
m_DSCN2529.jpg [ 55.8 KiB | Viewed 606 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 3:26 pm 

k5083 wrote:
Just the D model was pulled outside, I believe.

You are correct, that was the only year I made it there and I remember it well. I was thinking they'd tow the M over, but that was also around the time they were fighting with POF.