Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:32 pm 

These will be the last for a while - I already gave back the scanner that I borrowed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:29 pm 

garbs wrote:

Is this mustang the future Weeks P-51? I dont think he owned it at this time, right?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:58 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I'll add my '77 Oshkosh Instamatic shots to the thread when we get our internet back up here (posting with my semi-smart phone at the moment).

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:39 am 

Nice to see the British Bearcat at an earlier point in her life - must admit I preferred the lighter blue scheme (sorry Stephen!) seen above and in which she flew for 15 years or so in the UK, though I have no idea if it was at all accurate. Glad she has stayed here - can it really be 42 years now! - and if I win the lottery and if Stephen/Nick put her up for sale... Still remember the first time I saw her at Biggin Hill in the hands of Stefan Karwowski - his second flight on type, a remarkable demonstration of the performance and capabilities.

Also the Sea Fury N232 was back in Blighty for a bit with Robs Lamplough I think, circa 1990?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:38 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Yay, the net is back up. As promised:

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:26 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Fantastic pix, thanks for posting them, y'all! :drink3:

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:47 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Deleted

Last edited by marine air on Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:47 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The P-51D “Precious Metal” was a very fast, Reno contender, and at the time of the photo had a 24k gold spinner. This was later replaced because of vibration. It also had an H model rear fuselage and tail feathers. Owned by the Whittington brothers, it ran out of fuel over the Gulf of Mexico and had to be ditched. It was retrieved several months later and never flew again.
The P-51D “Passion Wagon ” was owned by George Enhorning of Connecticut. He was a prince of a guy and flew a lot. He owned a mobile home manufacturing plant and bought the XF8F-1 project that he only flew about ten hours before selling to Howard Purdue. Enhorning had invested heavily in a start up factory that was to build ultralight aircraft, the big fad at the time. He lost a lot of money and had to sell the Bearcat. He later died in his P-51. He was over the airport when the engine failed and he spun in.
He’s one of the reasons the FAA approved programs like Stallion 51 which has enhanced flight training greatly.
The “ Tora Zero” in the pics was owned by the EAA for several years. It has since been quietly sold.. The AD-4NA Skyraider is the first Skyraider Jack Spanish got flying from the several he imported from Chad. It was painte Navy gray VA-176 with the hornet on the tail. He had a rash of accidents with it. Landed short of the runway and also the tail got blown into the roofline of Hangar 2 at Nashville ( BNA) . So, he parked it and restored another painted in SE Asia markings. This one was lost when he flew into a mountain in IMC flight conditions returning from an airshow in North Carolina. He was only rated for VFR single engine and flew into IMC conditions.

Last edited by marine air on Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:52 pm 

Nice photos, Chris. Thanks for adding them to the record!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:46 am 

Wonderful pictures and a great thread!

Cheers

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:44 am 

I especially like the pic of the gold spinner mustang. IIRC we waited quite a while for that guy to walk into the frame......
Seriously though, what a great thread. those were the days :drink3:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:49 am 

marine air wrote:
The P-51D “Precious Metal” was a very fast, Reno contender, and at the time of the photo had a 24k gold spinner. This was later replaced because of vibration. It also had an H model rear fuselage and tail feathers. Owned by the Whittington brothers, it ran out of fuel over the Gulf of Mexico and had to be ditched. It was retrieved several months later and never flew again.
The P-51D “Passion Wagon ” was owned by George Enhorning of Connecticut. He was a prince of a guy and flew a lot. He owned a mobile home manufacturing plant and bought the XF8F-1 project that he only flew about ten hours before selling to Howard Purdue. Enhorning had invested heavily in a start up factory that was to build ultralight aircraft, the big fad at the time. He lost a lot of money and had to sell the Bearcat. He later died in his P-51. He was over the airport when the engine failed and he spun in.
He’s one of the reasons the FAA approved programs like Stallion 51 which has enhanced flight training greatly.
The “ Tora Zero” in the pics was owned by the EAA for several years. It has since been quietly sold.. The AD-4NA Skyraider is the first Skyraider Jack Spanish got flying from the several he imported from Chad. It was painte Navy gray VA-176 with the hornet on the tail. He had a rash of accidents with it. Landed short of the runway and also the tail got blown into the roofline of Hangar 2 at Nashville ( BNA) . So, he parked it and restored another painted in SE Asia markings. This one was lost when he flew into a mountain in IMC flight conditions returning from an airshow in North Carolina. He was only rated for VFR single engine and flew into IMC conditions.

I really enjoy these behind the scenes anecdotes. Keep em coming!!!