Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Hurricane Aerobatics
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:55 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Aerobatics in the new Hurricane XII was a lot more fun than engine-reading and flap-cycling.
Cockpit-view and commentary from the Test-Flight series last June.

https://youtu.be/05pPpa8RzTw

[youtube]https://youtu.be/05pPpa8RzTw[/youtube]

edit -- not sure why the video link doesn't work

Post subject: Re: Hurricane Aerobatics
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:27 pm 

Thanks for sharing as always Dave :drink3:

On youtube if you click below your video on "share" then click on "embed". That is the what you need to cut and paste [youtube]here[/youtube].

It should look like this

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/05pPpa8RzTw" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:02 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

When I click on Share there is no embed option.

But I appreciate the try.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:01 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I ran across that video at lunch today, and have to say it went very well with a baloney sandwich! Seriously, thanks so much for making those vids, yours are the best I know of! I particularly relish your touches like "let's go back through that takeoff again, there's a lot going on there". They're the next best thing to tagging along with you.

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dave, I only have two words for you in the Hurri vid:

"Thanks" and "Oshkosh?"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:39 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thank you for sharing that flight! I fully echo your feelings on the value of a Lazy 8. The USAF method took it one step farther by asking the pilot to match bank with degrees of turn (10 degrees of turn, 10 degrees of bank, 90 degrees of turn, 90 degrees of bank) and to modulate the pitch such that you were on the horizon at the start, at your highest pitch after 45 degrees of turn, passing through the horizon at the 90, lowest pitch at 135, and back to the horizon at the 180. These targets are all fine and good, but the precision required takes a bit of fun out of the maneuver and really slows it down at the entry and exit- I much prefer your style.

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:59 am 

Thanks for the video Dave, really good stuff, very enjoyable. I know you mentioned that it was lighter in roll than the Spitfire but what are your overall impressions of the Hurricane for aerobating?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:05 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Ken wrote:
Thank you for sharing that flight! I fully echo your feelings on the value of a Lazy 8. The USAF method took it one step farther by asking the pilot to match bank with degrees of turn (10 degrees of turn, 10 degrees of bank, 90 degrees of turn, 90 degrees of bank) and to modulate the pitch such that you were on the horizon at the start, at your highest pitch after 45 degrees of turn, passing through the horizon at the 90, lowest pitch at 135, and back to the horizon at the 180. These targets are all fine and good, but the precision required takes a bit of fun out of the maneuver and really slows it down at the entry and exit- I much prefer your style. Ken

Yes, I was taught that too during my Citabria checkout when I was 18. Very much a precision maneuver. But with the warbirds I prefer to use it as a coordination exercise, and although the bank is steep at the 90 point, it's only 70 degrees or so.

I didn't do them all that well in this Hurri video -- still exploring the aeroplane and the way this one is rigged.

It's also my main airshow display maneuver for when I don't have an aerobatic card. (SAC) In my videos you can see me doing it the Lysander and the Spitfire -- same thing, different aircraft. It keeps you front-and-center, and for the crowd you're always changing the pitch, bank, and the engine noise is also always increasing or decreasing. Good for a low-show as well.

I stole it from Bud Granley.

Last edited by Dave Hadfield on Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:54 am 

Super video.

Thank you for making it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:52 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Dan K wrote:

"Thanks" and "Oshkosh?"

Oshkosh is a possibility, but not a definite plan. The focus/theme there this year is on quite different things. They would love to have us there of course, but I'm not sure it's a good match.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:59 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Sopwith wrote:
Thanks for the video Dave, really good stuff, very enjoyable. I know you mentioned that it was lighter in roll than the Spitfire but what are your overall impressions of the Hurricane for aerobating?

Better in roll, but less pleasant in pitch -- as per my remarks in the video when looping. Not a bad stall, which is a good thing; and if you accelerate the stall there is plenty of airframe warning unless you're quite slow. However it will flick more readily than the Spit.

It doesn't accelerate rapidly, so that's a limitation for vertical-plane maneuvers.

For an airshow display I'd do mostly rolling maneuvers and use it's slow overall speed to stay in front of the crowd.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:59 pm 

Thanks for your reply Dave, good to hear the comparisons.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dave Hadfield wrote:
Dan K wrote:

"Thanks" and "Oshkosh?"

Oshkosh is a possibility, but not a definite plan. The focus/theme there this year is on quite different things. They would love to have us there of course, but I'm not sure it's a good match.

Appreciate the response and will save you a seat near the beer cooler just in case! :drink3:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:30 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Great video Dave!

Love the narrative. It takes time to produce something of that quality level.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:33 pm 

Nice video Dave, as always.

I haven't flown our Hurricane 1 for a couple of years, but your experience in the loop was pretty similar to my own.

You need a fairly hefty tug to get around the first quarter of the loop, then as you approach 10-15 degrees short of the inverted the aeroplane seems to want to stay upside down - the elevator feels a little dead, and, as you report, you have to honk back on the stick to keep the nose tracking at a constant rate.

Then as the nose heads towards the vertical, she heads for the earth with alacrity, requiring another firm pull to complete the figure.

My survey population is only one, but I believe most Hurris tend to be tail heavy these days, the Shuttleworth Sea Hurricane being even worse. The extra mass of the arrestor hook makes her only just longitudinally stable, and they don't, I believe, do vertical figures at all for that reason.

Just another quirk of vintage aircraft to get used to, but well worth it. The only thing I am wary of is ground tracking at the end of the rollout. On a couple of occasions, admittedly with a small crosswind component, she has made a fairly substantial dart away from the straight ahead at around 30kts, requiring judicious use of brake to stay on the straight and narrow, something the Spit never does.

Be careful out there!