Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There will always be media mistakes caused by reporters being unfamiliar with the technical details of the subject, or even the occasional generational issues (like the UK media report which called a Spitfire a "fighter jet", likely because the person who wrote that had only ever known military fighters that were jets, so IMHO, likely thought "fighterjet" was one word which applied to all fighter aircraft).

But Mark is correct, not all media are bad/stupid.
We get excellent aviation coverage here by our local TV stations.
In any case, you can either be mad at them which won't do you want food in the long run, or more constructively, try to work with them on local aviation issues.

As an Air Force PAO, I spent a lot of my career telling that to various officers and NCOs who didn't want to work with the media after perceived or genuine issues with the media during the Vietnam era.
I repeatedly had to tell them that we had to work with them to tell "our" story.
If you won't work with them, your story will not get told.
Simple as that.

Oddly, I never had to tell that to the really good/smart wing and MAJCOM commanders (and those up "up and commers") I worked for.

So, you can either gripe about it or do something and help make a difference.
Ball's in your court.

Last edited by JohnB on Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:21 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

JohnB wrote:
more constructively, try to work with them on local aviation issues.

As an Air Force PAO, I spent a lot of my career telling that to various officers and NCOs who didn't want to work with the media after perceived or genuine issues with the media during the Vietnam era.
I repeatedly had to tell them that we had to work with them to tell "our" story.
If you won't work with them, your story will not get told.
Simple as that.

Oddly, I never had to tell that to the really good/smart wing and MAJCOM commanders (and those up "up and commers") I worked for.

This. So much this. Good people need to get out in front and lead.

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:52 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

menards wrote:
Gasoline powered cars already have a death date. There is a looming diesel shortage. General aviation (including vintage/warbirds) are going to be swept up in the "green energy" wave. Enjoy them while you can. The people in charge said our country is in a transition away from fossil fuels. The media supports the agenda of the people in charge. Those are the facts.... in the end its not going to have anything to do with education, safety or accidents. In the next 10 years, if you cant plug it in to charge, its not going anywhere.
Balderdash! I was told by a friend of mine that was an executive in product planning at Toyota that gasoline supplies worldwide would be exhausted in ten years, and that was 25 years ago.

Gasoline and diesel shortages are all politically motivated.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:07 pm 

bdk wrote:
menards wrote:
Gasoline powered cars already have a death date. There is a looming diesel shortage. General aviation (including vintage/warbirds) are going to be swept up in the "green energy" wave. Enjoy them while you can. The people in charge said our country is in a transition away from fossil fuels. The media supports the agenda of the people in charge. Those are the facts.... in the end its not going to have anything to do with education, safety or accidents. In the next 10 years, if you cant plug it in to charge, its not going anywhere.
Balderdash! I was told by a friend of mine that was an executive in product planning at Toyota that gasoline supplies worldwide would be exhausted in ten years, and that was 25 years ago.

Before you call what I said nonsense...it would behoove you to do a little research on the supbject. California has already banned the sales of new gasoline vehicles by 2035. GM has pledged to stop making them all together. Many other states and manufacturers have similar plans in the work to follow. The current power group in charge has stated, verbatium, "the country is currently in a transisiton away from fossil fuels." To stay on topic, General Aviation/Warbirds will also be swept up in this movement. So Jack, how exactly is this "nonsense"? Its already happening, bro. And its too late to stop it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:08 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

menards wrote:
And its too late to stop it.

That's the point of disagreement.

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:33 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

menards wrote:
Before you call what I said nonsense...it would behoove you to do a little research on the supbject. California has already banned the sales of new gasoline vehicles by 2035. GM has pledged to stop making them all together. Many other states and manufacturers have similar plans in the work to follow. The current power group in charge has stated, verbatium, "the country is currently in a transisiton away from fossil fuels." To stay on topic, General Aviation/Warbirds will also be swept up in this movement. So Jack, how exactly is this "nonsense"? Its already happening, bro. And its too late to stop it.
I have lived in California for over 40 years and the political rhetoric has changed the fuel picture very little. It is unfair to suggest I have done no research or have little knowledge in this matter. Sacramento has managed to devastate large sectors of the economy and has increased costs on many things, including motor fuel. Absent monumental subsidies, alternative motor fuels are still not cost effective.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:15 am 

The news media at large is one thing. It's especially bad when opposition starts to come from within the aviation community itself: https://aviationweek.com/business-aviat ... s-airshows

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:30 pm 

menards wrote:
bdk wrote:
menards wrote:

It is worth remembering that Toyota (by far one of the most successful and profitable car companies) is not making an all electric car. Hybrids, yes. So what do they know that the others refuse to accept? The idea that we are going all electric in the next decade is a political talking point only. I have a neighbor who is a EE that worked extensively with the TVA building power plants for decades. He said there is no way it is happening for a long long time. When enough people fall into the all electric trap and can’t charge their cars we will see an abrupt turn around.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:22 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Tim Savage wrote:
It is worth remembering that Toyota (by far one of the most successful and profitable car companies) is not making an all electric car. Hybrids, yes. So what do they know that the others refuse to accept? The idea that we are going all electric in the next decade is a political talking point only. I have a neighbor who is a EE that worked extensively with the TVA building power plants for decades. He said there is no way it is happening for a long long time. When enough people fall into the all electric trap and can’t charge their cars we will see an abrupt turn around.

Strange then that sales of internal combustion vehicles will cease in most/all markets by 2035 or sooner. It doesn't have to be an EV to replace internal combustion: fuel cells alone show great promise. And if you think the changeover is about reserves (or not) of oil/gasoline/diesel, then you have not been paying attention.

Internal combustion has no future and you can either throw a tantrum and get left behind, or be part of something and maybe have an input. There is no turning back and if you think we're going to perform an about-turn then again you're going to be disappointed. No amount of, "my mate thinks..." is going to change it. But having driven a lot of alternatively-fuelled vehicles and having one in the family now for some time, I wish we'd had them decades ago. You charge at home, never visit a gas station and save lots of cash too.

But beware of the oil/gas/diesel lobby: they need to convince people that alternative fuels are not practicable. That only works if you don't get your head out of your backside and do the research yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Have Blue wrote:
The news media at large is one thing. It's especially bad when opposition starts to come from within the aviation community itself: https://aviationweek.com/business-aviat ... s-airshows

Nothing new. The usual kickback after a disaster.
Even FLYING ran an anti-CAF piece in the '70s (albeit based on the anti-military sentiment of the period rather than a mishap), and if one goes back much further, was anti-air racing back in the glory days of air racing in the '30s. Following a crash or two, it was labeled "Gladatorial".

Seriously, I can't see the uproar here, it wasn't like they were doing aerobatics or anything particularly dangerous.
It was a fairly loose, low speed formation flyby.
In paper, it should have been much less dangerous than most of the stuff seen at shows....aeronautics or even the fast jet teams.

If two airliners collided, would they want to ban airlines?
Of course not.

Last edited by JohnB on Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:19 pm 

quemerford wrote:
Tim Savage wrote:

Strange then that sales of internal combustion vehicles will cease in most/all markets by 2035 or sooner. It doesn't have to be an EV to replace internal combustion: fuel cells alone show great promise. And if you think the changeover is about reserves (or not) of oil/gasoline/diesel, then you have not been paying attention.

Internal combustion has no future and you can either throw a tantrum and get left behind, or be part of something and maybe have an input. There is no turning back and if you think we're going to perform an about-turn then again you're going to be disappointed. No amount of, "my mate thinks..." is going to change it. But having driven a lot of alternatively-fuelled vehicles and having one in the family now for some time, I wish we'd had them decades ago. You charge at home, never visit a gas station and save lots of cash too.

But beware of the oil/gas/diesel lobby: they need to convince people that alternative fuels are not practicable. That only works if you don't get your head out of your backside and do the research yourself.

Maybe I missed it, but I know of one state in the United States that has mandated an end to internal combustion engines by 2035 and that is California. Also note that I specifically referenced that the US electrical grid is not currently capable of supporting an all electric auto fleet. There maybe other technologies that may supplement this and reduce the load, but they aren't here yet. That was not the subject of my post which was an all electric fleet.

Furthermore, no one is throwing a tantrum, I fully accept the move away from combustion engines is political motivated. I am also not just discussing this with some random mate. You must have missed the part about the fact he worked in the design and implementation for one of the largest US electrical providers. He recently told me he did the calculation for our little 200 house airport neighborhood. The electrical grid could not sustain the capacity necessary if everyone here had an electric car. Let alone two. That is the reality (with current battery technology) of the US electric grid. You can get your head out of your backside and recognize the limitations of the grid and do the research yourself...repeating your rude and condescending comments to me. You have no idea what research I have or haven't done on the subject.