Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:13 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Did this B-17 fly from Paris to Tamiami or was it trucked there? And who were the pilots who flew it if that was the case.

On a different note, I really thought this amount of birdsh!t only emanated on planes at Chino...

T J

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

bomberfan wrote:
Warbirdnerd wrote:
A Sikorski S-43 somewhere as well.

Isn't this one being restored somewhere in Owatonna?

The S-38 is being restored in Owatonna, WI. The S-43 is down at Fantasy of Flight with the wing off of it. Kermit has expressed that he wants to fast track the S-43 ASAP (which I'm very excited about). My guess is that when AeroTrader is finally done with his A-26, they might be contracted to overhaul the S-43 since they've done multiple twin-engined aircraft for him. Just a guess.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:28 am 
Newly minted Mustang Pilot

Suzie Q was part of the Tallmantz collection, then Junior Burchinall in Texas. Kermit flew it from Texas to Tamiami and I'm not sure how much is was flown after that, it was pretty rough. He's also got the parts machine that he turned in to a display at Fantasy of Flight and a significant amount of B-17 airframe parts stored at Borrego Springs with Aero Trader. He also has parts for a second B-26 Marauder, not sure how much beyond a complete nose section.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:35 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Warbird Kid wrote:
bomberfan wrote:
Warbirdnerd wrote:
My guess is that when AeroTrader is finally done with his A-26, they might be contracted to overhaul the S-43 since they've done multiple twin-engined aircraft for him. Just a guess.
I like that idea! Then I'd get to see it.

Last edited by bdk on Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:09 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Warbird Kid wrote:
bomberfan wrote:
Warbirdnerd wrote:
A Sikorski S-43 somewhere as well.

Isn't this one being restored somewhere in Owatonna?

The S-38 is being restored in Owatonna, WI. The S-43 is down at Fantasy of Flight with the wing off of it. Kermit has expressed that he wants to fast track the S-43 ASAP (which I'm very excited about). My guess is that when AeroTrader is finally done with his A-26, they might be contracted to overhaul the S-43 since they've done multiple twin-engined aircraft for him. Just a guess.

Slight correction. The S-38 is being restored in Owatonna, MN not WI.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:26 am 

JimH wrote:
Suzie Q was part of the Tallmantz collection, then Junior Burchinall in Texas. Kermit flew it from Texas to Tamiami and I'm not sure how much is was flown after that, it was pretty rough. He's also got the parts machine that he turned in to a display at Fantasy of Flight and a significant amount of B-17 airframe parts stored at Borrego Springs with Aero Trader. He also has parts for a second B-26 Marauder, not sure how much beyond a complete nose section.

Jim

Will be interesting to see what happenes to his vast collection in the coming years. Alot of the stuff has been sitting in more or less "storage" for the last two decades. He keeps hinting at an "Act Three" but hes also getting up there in years. His videos are on youtube are comical, I believe that he has made purchases that hes straight up forgotten about. He has a couple of vids out there where he tours other museums... and every new plane he looks at..."I have one of those, a project, we need to get working on it."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:29 pm 
Newly minted Mustang Pilot

Will be interesting to see what happenes to his vast collection in the coming years. Alot of the stuff has been sitting in more or less "storage" for the last two decades. He keeps hinting at an "Act Three" but hes also getting up there in years. His videos are on youtube are comical, I believe that he has made purchases that hes straight up forgotten about. He has a couple of vids out there where he tours other museums... and every new plane he looks at..."I have one of those, a project, we need to get working on it."[/quote]

Kermit is an enigma, and I'm sure he reads this forum. He recently did an "unboxing" video of his Lancaster project that was pretty telling towards the end. He said he has no intentions of restoring it and some comment on how people say he should spend his money. I get that...it's not our money, BUT, the warbird collector market is pretty finite. There are collectors that would love to have the P-47 project, the P-38, the Hellcat, the Lanc, the B-17, and so on. The world has changed so much in the last 30 years and we all know these aircraft can't fly forever. By the time these hit the open market (and that is a huge assumption) it may be too late. We all saw what happened to the Paul Allen collection and fortunately it had a positive outcome, maybe that will happen again with KW?

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:06 pm 

I was a supervisor at TMB tower when Suzy Q arrived from Paris. Kermit did an incredibly low approach down 9L upon arrival and taxied to ramp. Beautiful! Never say ever fly or even get an engine start up after that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:00 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

T J Johansen wrote:
Did this B-17 fly from Paris to Tamiami or was it trucked there? And who were the pilots who flew it if that was the case.

Check out this video at about the 24:00 mark, and Kermit talks about the engine problem on takeoff from Paris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF4b4Vn7sfk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:39 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

JimH wrote:
Will be interesting to see what happenes to his vast collection in the coming years. Alot of the stuff has been sitting in more or less "storage" for the last two decades. He keeps hinting at an "Act Three" but hes also getting up there in years. His videos are on youtube are comical, I believe that he has made purchases that hes straight up forgotten about. He has a couple of vids out there where he tours other museums... and every new plane he looks at..."I have one of those, a project, we need to get working on it."

Kermit is an enigma, and I'm sure he reads this forum. He recently did an "unboxing" video of his Lancaster project that was pretty telling towards the end. He said he has no intentions of restoring it and some comment on how people say he should spend his money. I get that...it's not our money, BUT, the warbird collector market is pretty finite. There are collectors that would love to have the P-47 project, the P-38, the Hellcat, the Lanc, the B-17, and so on. The world has changed so much in the last 30 years and we all know these aircraft can't fly forever. By the time these hit the open market (and that is a huge assumption) it may be too late. We all saw what happened to the Paul Allen collection and fortunately it had a positive outcome, maybe that will happen again with KW?

Jim[/quote]
If he reads here, it would be interesting if he'd consider selling a few, to fund more manageable restoration work and let others restore those sold.

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:51 am 

Some photos I have from 7 years ago: https://floridawarbirds.com/2015/03/15/fantasy-of-flight-golden-hill-bombers/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:29 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Randy Haskin wrote:
T J Johansen wrote:

Check out this video at about the 24:00 mark, and Kermit talks about the engine problem on takeoff from Paris.

Great video of the old days... :)

Thanks,
Phil

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:39 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Randy Haskin wrote:
T J Johansen wrote:

Thanks for that one Randy. Nice to see him bring out footage from earlier recoveries/ ferry flights and the like. Wonderful that someone filmed this stuff, and that it is being made public. Hopefully more VHS stuff from other groups/ individuals will come to light in the future.

T J