Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Aluminum Overcast
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:27 am 

Any word any where on the progress of the repair

Post subject: Re: Aluminum Overcast
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:21 pm 

EAA just posted an update:
https://www.eaa.org/eaa/news-and-publications/eaa-news-and-aviation-news/news/eaa-b17-rides-through-hurricane-ian

Looks like some significant damage to the hangar with a bit of damage to the tail of the B-17. Otherwise, it came through okay.

September 30, 2022 — EAA’s B-17 Aluminum Overcast, which has been based in Punta Gorda, Florida, for the past year while awaiting repairs to its wing structure, apparently sustained only minor damage as Hurricane Ian came ashore in that area of the Gulf Coast earlier this week and caused tremendous damage in that region.

“We were incredibly fortunate that the aircraft did not suffer any major damage, from what early indications tell us,” said Jack J. Pelton, EAA CEO and chairman of the board. “Our thanks to Arcadia Aerospace Industries for looking after the airplane and taking all the precautions they could prior to the storm’s landfall and during the event.”

The hangar where the B-17 was parked did suffer substantial damage, but early inspection shows only one piece of structure struck the B-17’s tail section, which is repairable. The fuselage was not damaged from initial inspection done on-site, although there is a great deal of debris in the hangar that must be cleaned up.

“The first priority is ensuring the hangar structure is safe to enter before sending our people there to further inspect the airframe,” Pelton said. “We don’t have an exact timeline for that to occur, but we are very fortunate compared to the very sad loss of life and property that occurred throughout southwest Florida during the hurricane. Our thoughts are with all in that area, including our many EAA members and friends.”

Aluminum Overcast has been in Punta Gorda since March 2021, when a routine pre-flight inspection revealed a crack emanating from the left sheer web, which is a secondary support structure for the wing. The only way to repair that is by removing the wing. The repair itself is not overly complicated, but getting to it is. As the wing was removed, EAA teams noticed other things that would be best served by repairing them at the same time. The proper parts for the vintage World War II bomber are currently being specially manufactured for the repairs.

WIX Subscriber Since July 2017

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Oh my gosh, I didn't realize AO's location! :shock: Well it's good news so far, as the airframe's in one piece and the hangar didn't collapse. The hit they took was a seriously nasty one ... and I know too d*mn well about getting clobbered by hurricanes. :(

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:20 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Pogo wrote:
Oh my gosh, I didn't realize AO's location! :shock: Well it's good news so far, as the airframe's in one piece and the hangar didn't collapse. The hit they took was a seriously nasty one ... and I know too d*mn well about getting clobbered by hurricanes. :(

My company had a hangar just across the taxiway from where Aluminum Overcast is, notice I said HAD, the hangar was mostly destroyed with the loss of all 7 of our planes that were inside, the doors on the east side blew off, and the back wall (west end) was blown out.

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:47 am 

What type of planes, Matt?

Mac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:58 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

aerovin wrote:
EAA just posted an update:

<snip>

Aluminum Overcast has been in Punta Gorda since March 2021, when a routine pre-flight inspection revealed a crack emanating from the left sheer web, which is a secondary support structure for the wing. The only way to repair that is by removing the wing. The repair itself is not overly complicated, but getting to it is. As the wing was removed, EAA teams noticed other things that would be best served by repairing them at the same time. The proper parts for the vintage World War II bomber are currently being specially manufactured for the repairs.[/i][/b]

It is surprising to me that it has taken over a year and a half to fix whatever the problems are with Aluminum Overcast. I'd love to have a better understanding of whatever the "other things" they found were. Communication around this entire event has been very lacking. With a 10 minute video every month, they could have driven interest and probably generated a decent amount in donations to speed the repairs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:42 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I suspect that much of the slowness is logistical. The team probably can only get down there for a couple days each month.

When we recovered the A-26 out of west Texas, it took something like 40 trips over almost two years to get her safe to ferry about 160 miles.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:19 am 
Newly minted Mustang Pilot

The trickle down effect of what is going with Aluminum Overcast may induce a very spendy AD on the remaining fleet of airworthy B-17s. Enjoy them while they are flying!

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:09 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Jim MacDonald wrote:
What type of planes, Matt?

Mac

we lost 6 piper Archer III, 2 of which were 5yr old G1000 glass cockpit models, and a PA-44-180 Seminole, our classrooms and computer lab and simulator were in another building that had it's roof torn off. So for all practical purposes, our entire operation at PGD was destroyed. Anyone hear how the T-28 shop there came out ? last time I was there they had 2 28s in the hangar.

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook