Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum Acquires Val

Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:09 pm

Based on the stain on the firewall, the fuselage in the video appears to be a D3A2, msn 3105, that was previously displayed at the National Museum of the Pacific War in Texas and originally recovered from Gasmata Airfield in Papua New Guinea in 1973. The description states that they have at least two more airframes, but they're not shown in the video.

Re: Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum Acquires Val

Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:41 am

Hopefully the Nimitz got something good for that...

Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:07 am

Didn't the Nimitz Museum aircraft have a badly pinched rear fuselage?

Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:28 pm

I believe the NMPW/Nimitz Museum had 2 Val wrecks. This is the one they have display. Its behind a translucent movie screen and is only visible when there is not a film playing. I would have missed it had I not known it was there-

ImageUntitled by Bryan Darnell, on Flickr
Last edited by Warbirdnerd on Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:04 pm

Warbirdnerd wrote:I believe the NMPW/Nimitz Museum had 2 Val wrecks. This is the one the have display. Its behind a translucent movie screen and is only visible when there is not a film playing. I would have missed it had I not known it was there-

ImageUntitled by Bryan Darnell, on Flickr

That's the one I was thinking of. Good to see a decent picture of it.

Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:51 pm

I am not sure it is the same airframe but this was taken in 1993 at the then named Nimitz Museum.
Attachments
img125.jpg
img125.jpg (33.07 KiB) Viewed 590 times
Post a reply