Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Saw some really exciting drone footage come up today showing the storage hangar at the National Museum of the United States Air Force.
https://fb.watch/fpScdIJrxy/

Couldn't help but notice the CASA 2.111, CASA 352, and Fi-156C-1 in storage. Wonder what will happen to them?

Also looks like their are two Sikorsky H-5 / R-5, S-48, S-51 airframes. Anyone know what the story is with these two airframes? With YH-5A 43-46620, I wonder if they're considered disposable.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72782&hilit=drone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:41 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Perhaps some of these will be loaned out somewhere or sold. I was surprised when the P-63 was taken off display and sent to Warner-Robins. I believe the A-25 Shrike was available for purchase, though I'm not sure what happened to that. Scott Glover purchased the Dragon Rapide that was displayed in the annex for years.

I'd love to see the CASA 2.111 and 352 restored and displayed inside at NMUSAF. The 352 used to be on display outdoors.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:16 pm 

kalamazookid wrote:
Perhaps some of these will be loaned out somewhere or sold. I was surprised when the P-63 was taken off display and sent to Warner-Robins. I believe the A-25 Shrike was available for purchase, though I'm not sure what happened to that. Scott Glover purchased the Dragon Rapide that was displayed in the annex for years.

I'd love to see the CASA 2.111 and 352 restored and displayed inside at NMUSAF. The 352 used to be on display outdoors.

I thought the eventual plan for the 2.111 was to back-date it to an He-111, but I could be incorrect on that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:21 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:
I thought the eventual plan for the 2.111 was to back-date it to an He-111, but I could be incorrect on that.

I think there were a lot of such ambitious plans ponce upon a time - I think that "He.111" has been in storage at the NMUSAF for some 50 years.

I think many of the large national museums now have changed priorities, with more money going to more showy and online exhibits and less resources for preservation/restoration, which have now grown more expensive in terms of time and money. The World War II period is now less nostalgic for the population in general.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:51 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

DoraNineFan wrote:
kalamazookid wrote:

I remember hearing the same about the 2.111, but that was about 15-20 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Eventually many years down the road another building will be constructed at the museum at which time most pf these planes in storage will go on display. Thats probably 20 years away however.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:22 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I hope they finish the B-23 someday. It sat outside for many years, but the last time I saw it was in the restoration hangar back in 1995. They had removed the long, solid nose from her executive transport days, and there was a tail gun station nearby (I think salvaged from the Loon Lake wreck along with other parts.) Then it disappeared. The recent drone videos are the first I've seen of it in more than 25 years, and it doesn't look like any more work was ever done on it.

As for the CASA 2.111, I went to a model show in Dayton back in the early 90s, and the Museum's restoration director (Upstrom? Metcalf? I don't recall) gave a talk. He said they had salvaged a pair of original Jumo engines from an underwater wreck in Norway, and planned to install them on the CASA. But of course, plans and funding priorities change.

I think the A-25 project may have been acquired by the Naval Aviation Museum. But of course they already have a Helldiver rotting away on their storage ramp, recovered from a California reservoir over a decade ago.

The 352 was the subject of much discussion here a few years back when the museum offered it for sale, but without a data plate..essentially meaning it would no longer be considered an "airplane," but a historical artifact.

I was a bit baffled when they shipped the P-63 off to Georgia. It was always one of my favorites (even if it was only masquerading as an RP-63 Pinball.)

SN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:58 am 

The B-23, Heinkel, Junkers, C-39, B-34, and C-60 are all slated for disposal by the museum. The Heinkel and Junkers were already put up for disposal once but they were unsuccessful in finding an appropriate fit.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:21 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

That's a shame about the Dragon and C-39 - I guess they figure the interwar planes are well enough represented ("We already have a B-18A..."). Wonder who could step up and take over on them? Dover for the C-39, or maybe POF for both, one in each location?

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:21 pm 

Tim Savage wrote:
The B-23, Heinkel, Junkers, C-39, B-34, and C-60 are all slated for disposal by the museum. The Heinkel and Junkers were already put up for disposal once but they were unsuccessful in finding an appropriate fit.

First I have heard about this.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:38 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Warbird Kid wrote:
Saw some really exciting drone footage come up today showing the storage hangar at the National Museum of the United States Air Force.
https://fb.watch/fpScdIJrxy/

Couldn't help but notice the CASA 2.111, CASA 352, and Fi-156C-1 in storage. Wonder what will happen to them?

Also looks like their are two Sikorsky H-5 / R-5, S-48, S-51 airframes. Anyone know what the story is with these two airframes? With YH-5A 43-46620, I wonder if they're considered disposable.

I want to do that in that factory you gave me a tour of.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:03 pm 

I was under the impression that they also had a restored Douglas O-46 in storage as well ...or did they sell / trade it? Also in the above inventory list there is mention that a Lockheed B-34 was up for possible sale. Some years ago they acquired a Lockheed B-37...or is this confused with the B-34?

JDVoss
www.fuselagecodes.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:14 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

jdvoss wrote:
I was under the impression that they also had a restored Douglas O-46 in storage as well ...or did they sell / trade it?

Nope. It's sitting disassembled in one of the restoration hangars next to the XB-42 and XB-43.

jdvoss wrote:
Also in the above inventory list there is mention that a Lockheed B-34 was up for possible sale. Some years ago they acquired a Lockheed B-37...or is this confused with the B-34?

The aircraft they have is an RB-34, AJ311.

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:10 am 

My sense is that they have more planes than space/money to display/restore them.

With the WWII generation passing, and their progeny aging as well, it seems as referenced above that the interest in that ear of aviation may be waning if it hasn't already peaked. That's a shame, as the airframes referenced above are worthy of recognition/preservation.

Plus, it's hard to do a fundraising campaign on the back of these interwar-era types. The B-23 for example, was a remarkable leap forward that showed the way to the future. But they just didn't make or use that many of them. The Lockheed Ventura/Hudson/Lodestar family was significant and I think it's underrepresented in our museums. To have a a relatively original version just sitting gathering dust seems a shame.

But I think the museum has found its formula with the flashier types. Memphis Belle is probably peak NMUSAF fund gathering. That's a dragon they're going to be chasing for a while.

None of this is to diminish what the NMUSAF has accomplished over the last few decades. They're doing great work and have improved the collection and facilities leaps and bounds from when I first visited back in the early 80s.

Still, you hate to hear even rumors of deaccessions or selling off signifiant types. Sure, the A-25 was not a big one on the NNMUSAF stage, and while Spanish versions of old adversaries are kind of nice and I see why they would go if you're limited on space and funds. But the B-23 or B-34? Seems like those kinds of things should stick around.