Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just been researching the SCR 717 US radar, in use late in WWII before it became superseded. I've found most online refs, I think, but am looking particularly for any accounts of its use, users, and images.

Help much appreciated!

Regards,

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:22 pm 

SCR 717C was the tub-like potrusion hanging below the trailing edge of the main wing on C-47s. It was intended for Pathfinder (C-47s) and Serial leader aircraft. It is obvious on this less than famous photo of 42-92717...about 3/4 down this thread...http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.o ... p?p=483884. 8Y+S

The tub covers a small radar dish. The display could be generated in two ways. If it was interrogating BUPS it would appear as a blip on a CRT screen in the nav compartment. Alternately, the CRT could display a very crude "coastline" black and white display of shorelines of lakes and rivers or coastlines. I could not "see" roads and cities. But could see a river snaking through a town or city. With reference to a map the navigator could make a positive ID on location. Or if he was doing a righteous DR or time and distance run he could anticipate a particular water feature to get a location.

Field Orders for D-Day stated that planes carrying SCR-717C would not carry wing or fuselage bundles.

C-47s were pulled from the line in small groups of 3 to 5 sequential tail numbers to be fitted with 717C. All passed through the IX TCC Pathfinder School (Prov) before assignment to a TCC Group.

Lead crews were usually trained by the Pathfinder School. Exceptional individuals were "retained" by the Pathfinder School as it was an operation unit tasked with both training and combat missions, and since Groups would not send these individuals if asked, the Pathfinder School just kept them as they passed thru the School.

15159 (re-numbered) (Argonia) on display at Ste Mere Eglise Airborne Museum sports an undersized tub and is a poor representation. 096 at the WW2 Museum in New Orleans has yet to be fitted with a 717C tub.

I have a page out of the 717 manual showing the dish array in the tub as well as either A or B mounted in a B-24 for ASW.
When I find that page I will add to this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Many thanks Pathfinder, much appreciated.

I'm finding it interesting that I'm looking at a later, different again application of the radar.

It seems it was equivalent in some ways to the British H2S radar, used for navigation and a bombing aid, able to particularly pick up land/water borders, and advantage through cloud.

Anyone got any more?

Regards,

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:26 pm 

Yes, your H2S became our H2X "Mickey" with a little band tweeking.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:38 pm 

I have only just discovered this discussion, but I see several years have passed since the last post, so I hope I am not repeating information you might already have turned up since then. My particular interest is in the anti-submarine B-24s and PB4Y-1s of the AAF and USN which operated from Dunkeswell (England) during late 1943 and the first half of 1944. All were fitted with a retractable SCR-717 radar for hunting U-boats, as visible in the attached photos (via Festningsverk Militarhistorie). The attached diagram shows the modifications made to the USAAF aircraft, which were carried out at either the Northwest Airlines facility at Holman Field, St. Paul, Minnesota or at Middletown Air Depot in Pennsylvania. I have a few more photos of Dunkeswell-based aircraft, but have so far found next to nothing on the radar operator's station or the equipment mounted in the waist area. I gather it was also carried on the P-61 night fighter. I hope this is of some help.

Attachments:
Dunkeswell Lib (19) (Festningsverk Militarhistorie Flickr).jpg
Dunkeswell Lib (19) (Festningsverk Militarhistorie Flickr).jpg [ 60.1 KiB | Viewed 1551 times ]
Dunk (4) (Festningsverk Militarhistorie Flickr).jpg
Dunk (4) (Festningsverk Militarhistorie Flickr).jpg [ 75.43 KiB | Viewed 1551 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:44 pm 

Just learning how to upload photos! Here is the diagram I mentioned.

Attachments:
4240962B.jpg
4240962B.jpg [ 205.18 KiB | Viewed 1551 times ]