Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: In Memory of …
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Feel free to list yours.

Mine? besides all who gave all …..

- All the Battle of Midway TBD crews.
- Two of my Uncles.

Post subject: Re: In Memory of …
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 10:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Far too many to list...
I've been honored to visit some of the great battlefields...Oriskany, Antietam, Gettysburg, Pearl Harbor, the skies of Europe...it seems everyday I remember a few of our heroes.

From my home I see a mountain and recall that over the years it claimed a B-29 and two KC-135s...casualties of the "Cold" war.
When my father retired at the conclusion of his 27 year career, his last official duty was going to the funeral of a friend, killed in the crash of a T-33.

Then there are family members, you won't read about them in books...but they did their part...my dad began his career as a B-17 pilot; an uncle who flew gliders into Normandy, Southern France and the Netherlands; another uncle who was a B-24 and -17 navigator who became a POW; a brother who spent time in Vietnam, and almost apologetically, my own 20 year career.
When people thank me for my service I'm quick to say I'm not a hero, no one ever shot at me.
A couple of years ago at an event, Col. Bud Anderson asked if I had served. I replied that I spent a career in the Air Force.
He thanked me for my service. Coming from a man like him, it meant something.
It was a privilege to work with many fine people.

With your interest in aviation history, and likely family history, you probably won't have to look far to remember those who served.
For many of us, every day is memorial day.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 5:32 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

My uncle, Capt. Gerald Earhart, USAF. Killed in the crash of a KC-135 at Wurtsmith AFB, 11 October 1988.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 8:07 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Ens. William "Bill" Marion Nettles, Photographic Officer of VF-80, lost in F6F-5P BuNo 58873 on 5 Nov 44 - MIA to this day - my first cousin

Capt. Neil Saunders Wood, 111th AAFBU, lost in a mid-air collision directly over Langley Field on 16 Jun 44 - another first cousin

Seaman Apprentice Carson Moss Harris, gunner aboard the tanker R.P. Resor, sunk by U-579 the night of 27 Feb 42 - my great uncle

1LT Lynn Newton Edney, 555th TFS/8th TFW, lost in a mudslide during survival training at Clark AB, 7 Jun 67 - my dad's cousin, his best friend, and my namesake

Lynn