Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tom Cruise P-51 …
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In the case of Cruise, I’d also bet the big studio’s and big investors would have required, and perhaps still do, require a boatload of training, insurance, more training and more insurance of Cruise. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if he has a long leash on.

Studio’s invest multi millions to finance Cruise’s films. I’m sure they require a lot of responsibility and commitment from him regarding what he does in his spare time.

Just like professional sports players can’t just go out and do anything they want while under contract.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think the studios only keep them on a super tight leash when actively working on a project (both pre and post production).
Before and after projects, they are freelance contractors.

It's not like the old days when actors were year-round salaried employees of a studio.

If course, not being Mr. Hollywood, I certainly could be wrong and I'm sure there are countless exceptions and variations.

I can't imagine anything more scary to a film studio than a huge international leading man wanting to fly a 75 year old single seat high performance fighter.

Then again, as we have seen plenty of stars manage to hurt themselves driving and by having questionable personal habits.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:49 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I pulled the cowls off it just after he bought it & discovered the Merlin was painted Case tractor orange... Somewhat bizarre color choice, albeit not TC's choice..

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 3:59 am 

Think they painted the Merlins red or orange to see oil leaks better..

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:39 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Another thing interesting about all this is most "High Net Worth" Individuals have insurance policies that forbid them to do things like fly airplanes, skydive and race cars or motorcycles. Many of them don't allow them to fly in single pilot operated jets and even if the pilot has the single pilot waiver they have to have a qualified second pilot in the right seat. So, TC flying the P-51 and L-39 himself is somewhat uncommon.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:06 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

I've alternately heard that this movie is "even better than the original" or a real stinker. So which one is it?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:25 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

After having purchased the Mustang around 2001/2002, it wasn't until a few years later that Tom Cruise was able to really devote time to training with Matt Jackson (the aircraft has basic dual controls), and he soloed the Mustang for the first time in 2006. Also in 2006, it was reported by Warbirds International that Cruise had become a member of the Commemorative Air Force and, prior to the USAF reclaiming the CAF's P-82 Twin Mustang, there was movement afoot that would have seen Cruise become the sole financial sponsor of that aircraft, with the plan being that it was going to be restored to flight in Southern California. I've seen on Facebook that Cruise's Mustang has been at Chino quite a bit over the past couple years, with Cruise putting it in the care of Steven Hinton.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:37 pm 

Mark Allen M wrote:
In the case of Cruise, I’d also bet the big studio’s and big investors would have required, and perhaps still do, require a boatload of training, insurance, more training and more insurance of Cruise. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if he has a long leash on.

Studio’s invest multi millions to finance Cruise’s films. I’m sure they require a lot of responsibility and commitment from him regarding what he does in his spare time.

Just like professional sports players can’t just go out and do anything they want while under contract.

And then the studio cut corners and used inexperienced, unrated, untrained ferry pilots that ultimately met their demise.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/179500

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... s-1021934/

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 2:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yep! guess it goes to show you who's more important when it comes to Hollywood pecking orders.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 6:27 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

bdk wrote:
I've alternately heard that this movie is "even better than the original" or a real stinker. So which one is it?

I felt the same way as I did about the original - hokey, but awesome. Lots of cool flying sequences even if it is far fetched. Great way to spend a rainy evening.

Super Hornets will never be as cool as Tomcats though. Sorry to any Super Bug fans out there.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:06 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Just back from seeing the new Top Gun -- Robin and I both wore Vintage Wings of Canada regalia!
This is a movie that deserves to be seen in a big theatre. It's great! Much better than the original.
No plot spoilers, but the fact that Tom Cruise is a pilot, with creative control, means the film has far fewer of the hokey flying moments that the original had. VERY LITTLE CGI in the important bits!!! REAL AIRPLANES for the most part!
It's great entertainment, and a GREAT aviation film.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:11 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

marine air wrote:
Another thing interesting about all this is most "High Net Worth" Individuals have insurance policies that forbid them to do things like fly airplanes, skydive and race cars or motorcycles. Many of them don't allow them to fly in single pilot operated jets and even if the pilot has the single pilot waiver they have to have a qualified second pilot in the right seat. So, TC flying the P-51 and L-39 himself is somewhat uncommon.

Cruise would be dumb to have life insurance. From a math standpoint, it is a loser and high net worth people (people who already have a lot of money) don't need it. On the other hand, it is downside protection for those of us who don't have enough money to take care of the family if something bad happens.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Kyleb wrote:
Cruise would be dumb to have life insurance. From a math standpoint, it is a loser and high net worth people (people who already have a lot of money) don't need it.

So, do wealthy people need life insurance? No, yes and maybe. It all depends on what you mean by wealthy and how their assets are structured. One reason why the wealthier may consider purchasing life insurance has to do with taxation. Tax law grants tax benefits to life insurance premiums and proceeds, affording asset protection in the process. Even though high-net-worth people do not live on a paycheck-to-paycheck basis like most people do, they still carry life insurance, although instead of buying it on mass markets, they purchase insurance from high-end companies. Maybe wealthy people know something most of us don't—because savvy, affluent people turn to life insurance for more than the death benefit. Cruise has many reasons to carry life insurance in his day-to-day world.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:43 pm 

The main reason a high net worth individual would have life insurance is to pay inheritance taxes for family beneficiaries.

C2j

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:59 pm 

Obviously a bit of "tongue in cheek" some lovely footage of Tom's P51.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1iZtBM23bY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next