Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:24 am 

I was just thinking what do you guys in America class as your favourite fighter from the Second World War, would it be P51,P40 or P47 or something else? Here in the U.K. it is usually the Spitfire followed by Hurricane and it got me wondering what that choice would be from the American perspective. I will be interested to hear, thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well for me it's with out a doubt the Corsair. But then again I'm a bit biased since I live in Stratford and volunteer at the Connecticut Air & Space Center which has its workshops and storage in Bldg 6, the former R&D Hangar for Chance Vought where the famous fighter was designed, tested and some 7000+ airframes were produced. From the XF4U-1 to the early F4U-5s and F7U Cutlass.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:55 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

My favourite sort of depends on what day of the week it is, and on what I have most recently seen and photographed and heard flying. I love the Mustang for its classic fighter looks, for its history and for its unforgettable sound. I love the P-38 for its shape and unique sound. I love the P-40 because it just such a great looking airplane and I've had a couple of great flights in P-40s. The Sea Fury has to get a mention because they were so prominent in Air Racing and because of memories of the lovely smooth aerobatic performances by Frank Sanders and his sons. How could I not love the Bearcat, with Howard Pardue's aero performances and because of it's Reno history and because I was a member of the crew of the fastest of them all.

It all just depends on what day it is...

---Wingman Photo---

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:18 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Neal Nurmi wrote:
The Sea Fury has to get a mention because they were so prominent in Air Racing and because of memories of the lovely smooth aerobatic performances by Frank Sanders and his sons.

Err.......

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:41 pm 

Tigercat... then the Bearcat and Mustang tie for a very close second.

Peter Kynsey's displays in TFC's Tigercat were sublime, suspect he really misses that wonderous beauty being on the Duxford flight line. I do.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 5:19 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

quemerford wrote:
Neal Nurmi wrote:
The Sea Fury has to get a mention because they were so prominent in Air Racing and because of memories of the lovely smooth aerobatic performances by Frank Sanders and his sons.

Err.......

The OP just asked what, as Americans, were our favorite fighters. He didn't ask what our favorite American fighters were.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 5:34 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

C VEICH wrote:
quemerford wrote:
Neal Nurmi wrote:

Err.......

The OP just asked what, as Americans, were our favorite fighters. He didn't ask what our favorite American fighters were.

Well, the OP posted, "Favourite WWII American fighter"....

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

P-61 Black Widow…

Why?! because I’d really like to see one fly someday. All the rest of the mainline American fighters I’ve seen, sat in, some I’ve flown in, so those aren’t the fighters that strike a fascination like the P-61 currently does.

Off topic, but I was/am looking forward to a Stuka flying and would also love to see a Typhoon fly.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Speaking of which...
A couple of months back, the UK magazine FlyPast named the Mustang the best fighter of WWII.
The Spitfire was second.

I wasn't expecting that from a UK publication.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:19 pm 

P-47 followed by the Wildcat and Hellcat. The P-47 because it looks like it was meant take the fight to the enemy and prevail. The Wildcat and Hellcat are a toss up for second. The Wildcat was a rugged little warrior that served the entire war and was there when we needed it. The Hellcat is a graceful looking airplane with a tremendous record.

CB

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:39 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

My personal favorite is the P-47. "Thunderbolt," by Robert S. Johnson was a formative read when I was young (probably younger than I should have been reading war books to be honest) and I've always loved reading about the 56th Fighter Group as well as the era during which the 4th Fighter Group had Thunderbolts. Add in the fact that I got to see a P-47 fly regularly at the Air Zoo and I was hooked from a young age. They're everything a fighter should be in my opinion - rugged, able to deliver and take a punch, and capable in the hands of well-trained pilots. I also think the 65th FS P-47s of the 57th Fighter Group have one of the absolute best paint schemes ever put on any fighter.

I could go with the Corsair, Hellcat, Wildcat or P-51 as my second favorite, depending on the day of the week. I generally have more interest in US Navy and USMC aviation, but the Thunderbolt still takes the prize as being my all-time favorite.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

JohnB wrote:
Speaking of which...
A couple of months back, the UK magazine FlyPast named the Mustang the best fighter of WWII.
The Spitfire was second.

I wasn't expecting that from a UK publication.

Brits really do seem to have a love affair with the P-51. I always assumed it had something to do with their bias for the Merlin.

From the American perspective, the P-51D is the AMC Pacer of the warbird world.

History shows it was the P-47 and P-38 that defeated the lion's share of the Luftwaffe's Experten. The Mustang arrived later to mop up the remaining mediocrity.

----------------------------

As to favorite fighter aircraft:

Hawker Hurricane is #1

Favorite US fighter is the XF5F-1...would've been a game changer in the early Pacific war.

#2 is the XA-26A (Hey, if Mark can claim the P-61 as a fighter, the XA-26A was over 1000 lbs lighter)

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 10:55 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Pratt & Whitney R-2800;

- F6F Hellcat
- F7F Tigercat
- F8F Bearcat
- FG1 Corsair
- FB11 Sea Fury

V-12;

- P-39 Airacobra
- P-51H Mustang
- Mk14 Spitfire

pop2

Last edited by Lon Moer on Sun May 22, 2022 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:19 am 

My favorite American fighter to fly is/was the Wildcat, specifically the General Motors Eastern Division FM-2, sometimes called the "Wilder Wildcat" of which I flew two for some time. The FM-2 brought the design and performance of the previous F4F-4 back close to or better than the early production Grumman F4F-3, which didn't have folding wings and mounted 4 .50 caliber guns. The Wildcat design served throughout the war but is often overlooked for its service. My opinion and 2 cents. Fly safe.

Randy

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 1:32 pm 

Thank you all very much for the replies it’s very interesting, I am surprised that the P40 and Mustang haven’t featured more in your choices. I am pleased that I asked the question as it’s something I have often wondered about. Thanks all once again.