Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

29 Doc flight path

Fri May 13, 2022 5:06 pm

Doc is in Spokane this weekend. I looked up the flight path on the one flight today. For the most part they stayed away from populated areas. Circling over a state park. Other ride flights visiting the area [mostly B17] flew over the city. Is there a reason for staying away?

Re: 29 Doc flight path

Fri May 13, 2022 11:09 pm

I'm not aware of a B-17 or other touring warbirds in the area.
The HFF B-25D is flying at the Fairchild airshow.
Their P-51B and DC-3 are static.

Doc arrived at Fairchild and was really impressive doing its arrival passes. I visited it in a hangar and am really impressed by its appearance. Beautiful aircraft.

It did have an issue with the right gear motor.
The Air Force put it in a hangar (out of the very cold wind!), provided Jacks and several airmen to provide any needed assistance.
I understand they will change the gear motor.

Sat May 14, 2022 4:16 pm

Regarding the B17 I was referring to past visits, not this weekend.

I was out there today. Doc looked great, many people were admiring it. Weather isn't the best for an air show, light drizzle, low clouds. Still a lot of people attending.

Thu May 19, 2022 10:13 am

bgp429 wrote:Doc is in Spokane this weekend. I looked up the flight path on the one flight today. For the most part they stayed away from populated areas. Circling over a state park. Other ride flights visiting the area [mostly B17] flew over the city. Is there a reason for staying away?

Yes, the B-29 is on an Experimental-Exhibition registration, and as such has operating limitations that likely include a restriction like:

"Except for takeoffs and landings, this aircraft may not be operated over densely populated areas or in congested airways, except when otherwise directed by air traffic control or in an emergency situation. When exercising this authorization, the pilot-in-command must request a departure route that will avoid densely populated areas and congested airways whenever possible."

B-17s are generally registered as Limited, and don't have this type of operations limitation from the FAA.

Fri May 20, 2022 12:52 am

Doc put out on an impressive performance Sunday.
The weather finally improved, so it, and the other acts, did a full show.

Really neat to see a B-29 fly up close. It looks great in natural metal, polished, but not too shiney.

I was in the HFF DC-3 cockpit when it taxied out, through the windscreen one could almost imagine seeing the same sight at Wendover or somewhat in the Pacific.

Later, I had lunch in the "performers" tent, and Doc's PIC joined me at my empty table. I didn't want to bombard (no pun intended) him with questions, but I did ask some basics. Nice guy.

Fri May 20, 2022 9:46 am

Thanks for the explanation. It just seemed a bit odd they stayed away.

Sun May 22, 2022 12:58 am

Saw Doc in Seattle today.
Amazing quality restoration and the crew all very nice.
I would have bought a ride had I heard about it much earlier...
Post a reply