Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Historic 3 night stand
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:21 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Did the title catch you?!

Historic Wendover Airfield is proud to have been able to host B-29 Doc and her crew since Monday and they will be departing on Thursday this week (May 12).

They are not the first post war B-29 to visit (Fifi came here in 2001) BUT they are the first since world wr II ended to stay the 393rd hangar! Some of the last B-29s to stay overnight here include the Enola Gay and Bockscar. Yes, a truly historic stay!

Tom P.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:33 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Awesome piece of historical juxtapositions! Many thanks for posting :drink3:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:07 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I assume that Doc's crew was excited to have their B-29 in the hangar, for the same reasons?
Ironically, as soon as I heard about Doc coming to Seattle, I mentioned it to my wife and she actually said it was okay for me to take a ride, which would be the first warbird ride I ever paid for-
-and of course, all the seats on all the flights were already sold out! Dang, I missed my shot at being able to say I've flown on a 17, 24 and a 29...

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 5:38 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

p51 wrote:
I assume that Doc's crew was excited to have their B-29 in the hangar, for the same reasons?
Ironically, as soon as I heard about Doc coming to Seattle, I mentioned it to my wife and she actually said it was okay for me to take a ride, which would be the first warbird ride I ever paid for-
-and of course, all the seats on all the flights were already sold out! Dang, I missed my shot at being able to say I've flown on a 17, 24 and a 29...

Yes - it has been a little colder than expected here for May so inside was a better option. And staying in THIS hangar might of had some extra allure to it. . .

Keep an eye on it - they actually added a third flight here in Wendover so they might do the same elsewhere!

All of my warbird flights have been gratis as well - I can't say for now, but in the past the CAF was pretty good about rides from point A to point B as long as you were willing to lend a hand with whatever was needed.. . . . and get yourself home from point B - LOL

Tom P.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:49 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Nice Tom!

Would be a good photo opportunity to park her over one of the remaining loading pits!

Any 1945 pictures of the 393 aircraft in the hanger before they went to Tinian?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:38 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

sandiego89 wrote:
Nice Tom!

Would be a good photo opportunity to park her over one of the remaining loading pits!

I agree, we just have to schedule some more time and clean up the loading pit area a bit!

There have to be a couple of photos of Silverplate B-29s in the hangar somewhere right? But none that I have seen yet - we actually have a FOIA request in to LANL (Los Alamos National Laboratory) for Wendover photos. In doing research I found that there is a significant amount of information from and about Wendover at the LANL library and archive. I am hopeful that there are some photos of the B-29s in the hangar!

Tom P.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:01 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

wendovertom wrote:
sandiego89 wrote:
Nice Tom!

I agree, we just have to schedule some more time and clean up the loading pit area a bit!

There have to be a couple of photos of Silverplate B-29s in the hangar somewhere right? But none that I have seen yet - we actually have a FOIA request in to LANL (Los Alamos National Laboratory) for Wendover photos. In doing research I found that there is a significant amount of information from and about Wendover at the LANL library and archive. I am hopeful that there are some photos of the B-29s in the hangar!

Tom P.

That would be great to see some photos of the silverplate B-29s on the ramp and in the hangar at Wendover- hope your find some! They may not show much as nose art did not appear until August 45, but might catch a few serial numbers and side numbers.

I would imagine with the security being so tight, random photos would be limited, but I too would image there has to be some.

I am 30 pages into "Tinian and the bomb, Project Alberta and Operation Centerboard" by Don Farrell. On Amazon. First part focuses on the background of the project, including set up at Wendover, then will then get more focused on the Tinian portion. Well written, and I have picked up a few more tidbits that expand on the other sources I have read on the project and the 509th. Recommended.