Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:35 pm 

I just posted an update to the restoration of B-17G 44-85813, better known as Champaign Lady, by the Champaign Aviation Museum at Urbana, Ohio. Most of the work is now ongoing with the wing sections.

https://www.aerovintage.com/2022/02/18/b-17g-champaign-lady-update-02-18-2022/

WIX Subscriber Since July 2017

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Scott. Things are looking good there in Ohio! :drink3: :drink3:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:34 am 

Great article Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When I saw that during my epic 2011 B-17 viewing trip (5 aircraft in two days) I was amazed by the quality and quantity of work they had done.
A lot of the cockpit items were newly fabricated, the fuselage was very well along in the build process.

I remember thinking then "wait until they get to the wings, their complexity will make the fuselage look simple and quick" .
So here we are, ten years later....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:26 pm 

aerovin wrote:
I just posted an update to the restoration of B-17G 44-85813, better known as Champaign Lady, by the Champaign Aviation Museum at Urbana, Ohio. Most of the work is now ongoing with the wing sections.

From that link is the below comment regarding the B-17 spars, and how there is no method to remanufacture them today.

I've seen this issue with the B-17 spar described before, and have always been fascinated. Can anyone point to more details on this issue? I know just enough about metal machining to be dangerous. Is there any more detailed description out there as to what exactly is challenging about making the spars, and why it can't be done with modern machinery?

Quote:
The spar chords were originally manufactured as an extrusion and many smart people have since tried to figure out how exactly this was done back in the 1940s. The challenging feature of the spar chords is that they taper down from the wing root to the length of the section. The taper is both outside and inside the hollow square tubular chord.

The process to extrude these parts in the exact dimensions as required to match the Boeing design is apparently no longer available; that machining capability is long gone. This is why the inner wing sections now so rare…original spar chords are needed to build up a wing and there are few undamaged components available.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:11 pm 

blue3992 wrote:
aerovin wrote:

From that link is the below comment regarding the B-17 spars, and how there is no method to remanufacture them today.

I've seen this issue with the B-17 spar described before, and have always been fascinated. Can anyone point to more details on this issue? I know just enough about metal machining to be dangerous. Is there any more detailed description out there as to what exactly is challenging about making the spars, and why it can't be done with modern machinery?

Quote:
The spar chords were originally manufactured as an extrusion and many smart people have since tried to figure out how exactly this was done back in the 1940s. The challenging feature of the spar chords is that they taper down from the wing root to the length of the section. The taper is both outside and inside the hollow square tubular chord.

The process to extrude these parts in the exact dimensions as required to match the Boeing design is apparently no longer available; that machining capability is long gone. This is why the inner wing sections now so rare…original spar chords are needed to build up a wing and there are few undamaged components available.

These statements are not quite accurate. These tubes are currently being manufactured in Europe. Also, there is no external taper to these tubes. There are two different internal tapers per tube, in addition, the upper and lower tubes have different tapers as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:47 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Quote:
One way to do this would be to roll (shrink/squeeze) a square extrusion to the needed internal dimensions and then machine to the needed external dimensions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:04 pm 

bdk wrote:
Quote:
One way to do this would be to roll (shrink/squeeze) a square extrusion to the needed internal dimensions and then machine to the needed external dimensions.

Its my understanding that the internal dimensions need to be exactly with certian tolerances, other wise the part is not usable. "Close" is not good enough.