Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:45 pm 

Dik

There are only two B17s in PNG that this could be, swamp Ghost or the Black Cat pass one. Swamp Ghost bellied in on the kuni grass and as far as damage goes is virtually intact structurally. You can see from the pics what state the black cat pass one is so I think you are talking swamp ghost

john

Post subject: swamp ghost
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:48 pm 

nice rebound on the posting guys!! great pics of the black cat pass plane! hopefully the "mystery man" will let himself be known soon and we can stop ganging up on rer ! any more pics of the black cat pass pane out there??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:04 pm 

RER is a buddy - not ganging up from here - just an observer over the years of this stuff- have stood on both machines and wished they were both here in Aus but this is a tricky part of the world to do business in. Staying alive in PNG in the long haul is an achievement!!

The Col et al I am sure would love to have all of these machines in the States but out here in the colonies we rather like to think more globaly so I would like aus to have a b17 sometime - so bugger off Yanks LOL!!

regards
John P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:27 pm 

Now now. There are plenty of B-17 wrecks for everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:19 am 

DIK, the only one i know of thats fairly complete is the one called the swamp ghost, and its not on a mountain.

As usual, time will tell.

Post subject: Swamp Ghost
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:44 am 

So Rob Greinert must be up there then.

Post subject: Post Message
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:42 am 

Mr Grinter

why do you do that? you know MG is or was up there and were ever he is RG is too.

My point in all of this is I don't care who drags it out so long as it is dragged out and not left to rot while people pay trincket money to see it. Lets get real about this. These aircraft do not belong there, regardless of the do gooders who say "they are a resting memorial to those" Blah Blah Blah........ These are wartime aircraft that deserve to be recovered and restored either to flying or static display so that my kids and their kids can go and see them, without threats of physical danger from rampaging criminals, and appreciate what was done for them so long ago by so few.

And if some one has the $$$$$ to invest and they can see a business opportunity in it, then all the better.

So, enough of my rantings, lets stop playing "I know more than you do" stuff and lets get in and support whoever is doing this so it doesn't fall in abig heap and become just another warbird recovery myth.

My Two Cents

Digger

Post subject: "Swamp Ghost"
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:52 am 

Howdy All

The following webpage should answer most of everyones questions and theories, on the B-17 referred to as "Swamp Ghost" !

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/people/visitors/hagen.html

Keep Em flying

Lightning

Post subject: swamp ghost
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:19 am 

wow feeling a little bitchy today arent we!!! lets try to keep this board friendly and positive folks. there are plenty of other boards around if you want to be a grump. cheers!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:13 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

FOOOOOODDDDD FIIIIIIIIGGGGHTT!

Post subject: Swamp Ghost
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:02 pm 

There is a big Hind up in PNG somewhere it could probably get it out in two or three bits.What does one weigh?

Post subject: Post Message
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:47 am 

Thought I would remind some people on this thread about a previous one re Swamp Ghost.

[i]shelldrake
Corporal

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:37 am Post subject: SWAMP GHOST UPDATE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone

thought I would update you on some interesting news coming out of PNG.

It seems that the Swamp Ghost recovery proposal has moved one step closer to fruition with several senior PNG officials giving the go ahead for this recovery. While this is only a very preliminary step forward it is nevertheless a step in the right direction. Hopefully this time capsule of a B-17 will find its way to a reputible restoration facility here in Australia or, perhaps in New Zealand.

In addition to this we can also expect more P-38's to call Australia home.

Thats all for now, will update again when I am back on Terra Australis.

Shelldrake [/i]

It seems that Shelldrake has had his finger on the pulse of this for quite some time. Would appreciate an update from him/her. But I suspect they are watching all of this anyway very closely. Its also and interesting exercise to go over this previous thread to check the comments of some of the people on this one. Funny thing time.....changes all sorts of things.

cya

Digger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:58 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Keep it civil, if this post degenerates further it will be going away.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:03 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

It is "reported" elsewhere that "Swamp Ghost" has been dis-assembled and recovered to Lae in preparation of shipment to the USA.

"It is currently in a yard in Lae awaiting shipment to the US."

http://www.warbirdz.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=2636&sid=b2791fae0208d7359604d321e010481f#2636

(I am unsure of the validity of comments/concerns made in that "report" regarding the recovery method? and would hope its in-accurate in its accusations of damage to the airframe in the recovery process)

With its provenance I hope this aircraft is destined for preservation rather than stripping and rebuild for the airworthy circuit, is there any official word on its destination and future?

Are there are photo's available yet from the recovery?

I know there has been arguments that this aircraft should remain in situ as a "live" wreck for tourists to visit, but I for one am pleased its finally being brought in from the cold, and congratulate the efforts of those who are finally making it happen.

regards

Mark Pilkington

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:41 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

PICTURES ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next