Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

P-40 USS Kidd Museum - Baton Rouge, LA

Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:02 pm

Hello,

I have posted a photo gallery of my visit to the USS Kidd (DD-661) in Baton Rouge:

https://www.vgbimages.com/NavalMuseums/ ... n-Rouge-LA

Re: P-40 USS Kidd Museum - Baton Rouge, LA

Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:28 pm

Wow great photos. Whenever I see something like this, large aircraft or a ship all I can think about is how much ongoing maintenance is involved and how many people volunteer to accomplish it. Thanks for sharing.

Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:48 pm

Is that a real P-40 or a mockup?

Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:30 am

It's a mock-up I believe. It's been there since March 1993 at least.

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:43 pm

Thanks Andy.

Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:31 pm

Whenever I see something like this, all I can think about is how badly damaged it's going to get in the next hurricane...

Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:14 am

Just remember, this is in Baton Rouge, not New Orleans. There is usually significant degridation of storms once the move inland. I was born and raised on the the Gulf coast and still live here.

Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:55 pm

Pogmusic wrote:Just remember, this is in Baton Rouge, not New Orleans. There is usually significant degridation of storms once the move inland. I was born and raised on the the Gulf coast and still live here.
Oh, I get that Lance. I was born and raised in Tallahassee, pretty far inland as well, and we got hammered by a hurricane in 1985 there. Hurricanes have ravaged communities hundreds of miles inland in the past.

Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:29 pm

I was actually there yesterday. Agree, the P-40 appears to be a mockup, but I didn't give it that close a look.
The ship itself is hanging in there, but could definitely use some love. Lots of peeling paint and rust. Museum ships are reportedly
always a "sinkhole" for funding, but museum staff is definitely giving it a good effort.
Nice museum overall.

Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:47 pm

For those of us not fluent in ship or naval history, the Kidd is a very important artifact.

It on one of just four of the 175 Fletcher class destroyers preserved.
The Fletcher class was the primary destroyer used by the U.S. Navy in WWII and continued is service with the USN until 1971 and other countries until 2001.

It is regarded as the most authentic, having been back dated to its WWII configuration.

As noted above, maintaining a ship is a huge undertaking, so we need to cut them some slack with their display P-40 since aviation is not their primary focus.
Post a reply