Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: FHCAM Zero
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:13 am 

According to the latest Warbirds Digest, the former Atlanta Zero/FHCAM A6M5 has been sold to a buyer in Europe. The intent is to restore it to fly, possibly with an original Sakae engine.

Of course, my first question is...does anybody know where it is headed?

My second question is...if it was your plane, where would you have it restored? I would go with Legend Flyers. While Fighter Rebuilders has experience with maintaining & re-restoring the PoF's A6M5 and Fagen Fighters A6M3-22, both of those planes were complete and probably were more like an extensive IRAN as opposed to a full restoration. Legend Flyers has rebuilt their A6M3-32 pretty much from a pile of scrap metal. Not only do they have the in-depth knowledge of the complete airframe and it's systems, but also already have most of the tooling to make new parts.

Any thoughts?

Mac

Post subject: Re: FHCAM Zero
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:25 am 

Have no idea where it is going but if it is going to Europe there are a few shops that could rebuild it in the region too, ARCo, Meier Motors and Air Leasing just to name a few.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:29 am 

If I recall, the two-seat FHCAM Zero was rebuilt in Russia of all places and finished in California.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

DoraNineFan wrote:
If I recall, the two-seat FHCAM Zero was rebuilt in Russia of all places and finished in California.

That is the complete, flyable example. I believe were talking about the unrestored original airframe that was on display at FHCAM for awhile.
https://www.platinumfighters.com/sold-aircraft?lightbox=dataItem-krw8xid1

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:18 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

You guys are going to hate my idea. I would like to see it traded to the Pacific War museum in Honolulu for the once flyable example that had been with the CAF. The Pacific Museum would get a much more authentic example and it can be displayed as is, with maybe 10% non original items to get it presentable. The Former CAF/Diemert example could be sent to a shop for total rebuild and it should have less corrosion and fewer parts missing. For example, it may be okay firewall forward with its Pratt & Whitney R-1830. Maybe consider converting it to another two seater.
The Atlanta Zero sat outside exposed to vandals for thirty years. Atlanta gets a lot of rain and my guess is that airplane probably has a lot of corrosion and non airworthy parts.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:16 pm 

It's been registered to "SURAAIR HOLDINGS INC" a quick background search seems to suggest they might be shipment company. It seems they have had business with Meier Motors and the Air Fighter Academy in the past. That may suggest where the Zero may end up...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:38 pm 

Warbird Kid wrote:
DoraNineFan wrote:

That is the complete, flyable example. I believe were talking about the unrestored original airframe that was on display at FHCAM for awhile.
https://www.platinumfighters.com/sold-aircraft?lightbox=dataItem-krw8xid1

Sorry I was speculating who might rebuild the wreck although it sounds like it might end up at Meier.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:46 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

There are several great shops. Ezell in Breckinridge Texas when Nelson Ezell was still alive were able to do the impossible. Some shops are great but are booked for years. Other shops are great but have notorious cost and/or time overruns, Meiers Motors seem to be able to do the impossible. If I owned the FW 189 Uhu, for example, I would take it to them.They would get it flying again. There are a few shops that if they accept the project, they will OCD on it until it gets finished. That's what you want.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:25 pm 

Does anyone have any more information on where this Zero ended up

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:48 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

marine air wrote:
The Atlanta Zero sat outside exposed to vandals for thirty years. Atlanta gets a lot of rain and my guess is that airplane probably has a lot of corrosion and non airworthy parts.

I'm sure there was hidden corrosion, but that airfame took a beating in its life outside of any corrosion issues. It was written off after being groundlooped, was patched back together for static display purposes, and may have been used as a "take a whack at a Japanese Zero" fundraiser. As I recall (and it has been almost 30 years since I last saw it) it had a ton of cuts and bashes in the airframe where it looked like someone took an axe to it.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 1:50 am 

I have about 35 photos of this plane when it was in Atlanta that I purchased on EBay. While the fuselage damage to me is fairly bad, it is definitely not as bad as wrecks covered from the Pacific. The wings are in much worse shape with the spars completely shot from corrosion, plus wing damage from what I imagine is the ground loop. On the plus side, the cockpit looks fairly complete and the original Sakae and the equipment in the accessory section are there.

If it were me, I'd much rather restore this Zero with all of the original equipment than have to try to re-piece together the Diemert FrankenZero. Stateside wise, I'd take it to Legend Flyers due to their extensive knowledge and tooling that they used with the restoration of the A6M3-32.

Mac

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

marine air wrote:
There are several great shops. Ezell in Breckinridge Texas when Nelson Ezell was still alive were able to do the impossible. Some shops are great but are booked for years. Other shops are great but have notorious cost and/or time overruns,

Then there are other shops...
I'm the early 1990a I saw a genuine "Zero" on a U-Haul behind a truck in a parking lot adjacent to Wright-Patterson.
Asking around, I was told it was being returned to the museum by a shop that had been contracted for a restoration but either couldn't do the work or couldn't do it correctly.

And on top of that, once the work is done there are those who decry it because it's no longer original enough to suit their tastes.
So, there are plenty of pitfalls in restoration.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:23 pm 

Does anyone have any news on the status of this Zero? Whispers, rumors, I heard from a friend who heard from a friend's 2nd cousin?

Thanks,

Mac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:46 am 

Any news on the whereabouts of this Zeke? Seems like it fell off the map.

Mac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:15 am 
KiwiZac

I'm expecting total silence for a couple of years, maybe five, and then sudden photos and/or video of it running or flying. This is based on nothing but recent trends I've observed!

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22