Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:34 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

In my time at the museum, I've had the chance to see a number of different World War II era prints. (To be clear, these are not the original paintings, but copies that were produced during World War II. This is as opposed to prints reproduced in the modern day.) I've noticed many of them have a similar style despite being created by different artists. It is also worth noting that prints of this era were generally reproduced by the offset lithograph method.

Some are really nothing more than colorized photographs. This style matches that of the illustrations found in the "encyclopedias" mentioned at the top of the first post in the Vintage Aviation Books and Periodicals thread. (Consider this a companion thread, by the way.) As a matter of fact, some of them were not really even posters, but simply pages clipped out of magazines. For example, two of the four color pictures in a certain collection at the museum - a "Curtiss P-36 Pursuit" and a "Grumman XF4F-1 Interceptor" - were taken from Air Progress: Air Trails Annual, 1941. Another eight color pictures on display were likely the top half of a 1944 Thompson products calendar. In both cases they were donated in what appear to be the original frames - with the latter being paired together with two wood strips running along the back. So, if you've ever wondered what hung in a young boy's room during the war, these are it.

I've decided to list these artists below. These names are pulled from actual original prints I've encountered at the museum, so they are confirmed as dating to the World War II time period. The three most notable examples I've come across so far are:
  • Charles H. Hubbell – his papers are in the collection of the Western Reserve Historical Society, a full collection of his prints is available from Hubble Aviation Prints
  • Wayne L. Davis – a few of his drypoints are in the collection of Princeton University, he appears to have worked for Grumman
  • Harry Jaffee – I've not been able to confirm it, but I have a sneaking suspicion he may be related to Al Jaffee of Mad Magazine fame, as the latter is noted as having a brother named Harry

Other, potentially less prolific artists include:
  • H. Richard Black[1]
  • David T. Hoel[2]

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster