Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:04 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

JohnB wrote:
And for my two cents worth of advice (which no one has asked for), Classic Rotors would be better off putting their resources towards flying a smaller, better supported (I'm guessing there are some parts, and several airframes, out there as opposed to the HRP) HUP.

The sole airworthy example of the Retriever was lost in a fatal accident a few years back. It frequently appeared at the museum's airshows, flying with a H-21, CH-46 and CH-47...a unique family portrait.

I have to respectfully disagree, I think the decision to focus on the HRP makes sense. Compared to the HUP, I imagine it's a much more simple helicopter. The fuselage is nothing more than tubes and (optional!) fabric. Also, as you mentioned, if parts for HUPs are more plentiful than those for HRPs, then there is a greater chance of another organization being able to return one of the former to flight - whereas Classic Rotors is probably the only organization that has a shot of restoring an HRP to airworthy condition. Plus, think of how cool that family portrait would look with an HRP!

JohnB wrote:
Aside from a unique transmission, the type has wood ribbed fabric covered rotor blades. I can only imagine the cost of those.

Unless I am mistaken, the availability of rotor blades are a primary reason why they is only one flying of the HH-43 Huskie series and the H-21 Shawnee/Workhorse. So don't underestimate the challenges in making bespoke rotor blades.

If the original wooden blades are unavailable, would it be possible to have new ones made out of more modern materials? I'm not saying it would be cheap or easy, but with the advances in materials science, it might be an option. You might be able to convince a company like Bell, Boeing, or Kaman to manufacture a set as part of a heritage program.

JohnB wrote:
I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but I was under the impression Kaman was no longer operating theirs.

While it's no proof of airworthiness, there are four H-43s currently on the FAA register:
  • N2856J - 58-1840 - H-43A - Classic Rotors Museum
  • N4069R - 64-17558 - HH-43B/F - Olympic Jet, Inc. (aka Olympic Flight Museum)
  • N43FK - 60-0289 - HH-43B - Kaman Aerospace Corporation
  • N43XK - 59-1576 - HH-43F - Kaman Aerospace Corporation

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Your point about about Classic Rotors being the only group around wanting to build a HRP is probably correct.
But saying the HRP would be easier to get flying , I disagree with.
Aside from the likely parts supply issue, the simplicity of the fuselage is the least of their concerns.
With helicopters, the difficult/expensive bits are the rotors and transmissions, not the fuselage. You can go online and buy a stripped hulk for nothing, because it won't fly without the expensive bits!
So deciding to build one because of a simple fuselage with the expected absence of the dynamic components, is putting the cart before the horse.I
Then again, if they have a warehouse of parts, You would be cotrect.
We will have to see.
But considering the rarity of more produced and better known types, (like the H-21 and the airworthy extinct H-56/CH-37), I have my doubts.

As I said, I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, and I wish Classic Rotors and the few brave people trying to keep old helicopters airworthy all the luck in the world.

As far as another group being motivated enough to get another HUP in the air, I fear if it was going to happen, we would have heard about it by now. It was a well known type with several users...pity none are flying. Thankfully, several are preserved in various ships. I can remember years ago it seemed that only Pima and the Army museum had one.

As you know, having an FAA registration doesn't mean the aircraft flies...or even exists!

As to Marine Air's recent sighting of a H-19, that is good news.
I wasn't aware any still flew.
I think the agricultural company in Brewster, WA seemingly ran out of them following some mishaps, and Kermit Weeks bought one and put it into storage for eventual restoration.

There may be a good parts supply out there for the S-55/H-19 family considering the numbers built, the UK production (whether or not you can legally use Westland parts on a Sikorsky is another matter), and the fact the basic rotor system was used in the turbine S-62, better known as the long serving USCG HH-52A.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:54 am 

Yes, N2300Z is one of at least five S-55 airframes converted to S-55QT “Whisper Jet” status by Vertical Aviation Technologies, a subsidiary of Orlando Helicopter Airways. I was fortunate enough to get a ride around RNO airport in sister ship N2302F a few years ago when it was owned by Whisper Jet Helicopters. I would not hold out that any of them are true to their identities as our late friend Sid Nanson (SIDSIKO) described the process by which OHA rebuilt these - closest to the gate got the ID tag first in line in the file drawer. That’s about how he described it.

Also yes and as I described in my earlier response, Golden Wings Aviation in Brewster, WA. still utilizes about a half dozen S-55 variants in their seasonal cherry drying operation.

As to spares, I’m guessing GW has an ample supply for their operation. The owner of Whisper Jet literally scrapped two hangars full of S-55 parts when he sold out a few years ago. He was kind enough to gift me a NOS cargo door, pilot seat, and complete tail rotor assembly. This is also when and where Kermit Weeks picked up a couple S-55’s he will never get around to rebuilding.

N2302F plus one other ship and the entirety of the boneyard in Casa Grande, AZ. were sold to an operator in Oregon. I communicated with the new owner in an attempt to purchase one of the 75, S-55’s in the boneyard actually flown by my late father in 1953. I haven’t heard from him in at least a year despite trying and I don’t know if the boneyard is still there or if the ships, really nothing more than fuselage and tail booms, still exist or have been scrapped.

Craig

Facebook Groups:

U.S. Marine Corps Sikorsky HRS / CH-19 Helicopter Database
U.S. Coast Guard Sikorsky HO4S / HH-19 Helicopter Database

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:13 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Craig,

Semi-topic related. A couple months or so back I was able to locate the grandson of the CG helo pilot who flew on the big Yuba rescues. He had some good scrapbook material of various CG airframes F/W and R/W.

John

Attachments:
Pfeiffer1.JPG
Pfeiffer1.JPG [ 137.42 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]