Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:47 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The “huge salvage yard” is the Yanks Museum boneyard.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Neal Nurmi wrote:
Great post, P-51

+1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:39 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

p51 wrote:
It doesn't help that we currently seem to have a world where nobody wants to work to do the service jobs needed to make anything like this happen.
The government is providing too large of a disincentive to work, by design I'm afraid. The bright side is that plenty of opportunities exist for bright high school and college age kids that don't have enough work experience to go on the dole.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:55 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I appreciate the love, gents. I debated posting that as I assumed it'd tick someone off needlessly.
bdk wrote:
p51 wrote:
It doesn't help that we currently seem to have a world where nobody wants to work to do the service jobs needed to make anything like this happen.
The government is providing too large of a disincentive to work, by design I'm afraid. The bright side is that plenty of opportunities exist for bright high school and college age kids that don't have enough work experience to go on the dole.

At first, I also assumed this meant people would rather be on the dole than work a job, but I think this speaks to a serious shift in what I saw as businesses pressing employees more and more to do more with less (and for less money) and people have just had enough.
I dare say, I think it was going to happen, but this pandemic sped it up.
Too many companies were intentionally understaffing, making people have no lives while wallowing in OT all in the name of making people get no benefits.
People talk smack about the millennials as they do anyone in the 20s regardless of the era (I'm in my early 50s and they said the same of my generation 30 years ago). I'm thankful for their refusal to be treated like it's the robber baron era anymore. I think we're into for a serious shift in how businesses conduct their way of operating. I'm quite conservative but I've watched this "do more with less" mindset drive people into the ground and people just aren't going to take it anymore. They've voting with their feet and where I work, it takes as much as two years to get any good at what we do. My company has seriously changed their SOPs accordingly because they couldn't afford not to...

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:08 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

p51 wrote:
I'm quite conservative but I've watched this "do more with less" mindset drive people into the ground and people just aren't going to take it anymore. They've voting with their feet and where I work, it takes as much as two years to get any good at what we do. My company has seriously changed their SOPs accordingly because they couldn't afford not to...
My company has ended retirement pensions and moved to 401Ks which are 100% portable. That's removed the incentive for anyone to stay for a long time. Used to be you needed 5 years to get vested and by then it almost wasn't worth quitting and the hook was set. Now, unless you really like your job nobody stays more than a few years.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:40 am 

The inflation we are seeing is a direct result of a combination of three things. Pandemic shortages, Government Dole, and people refusing to work for the same wage(change of mindset). Hence, raise prices just to get someone to answer the want add with a higher wage. This isn't sustainable. There will eventually be a bigger rift in society, as the small to medium businesses get pushed to the brink by labor shortage and payrolls they can barely afford. By the way, Robber Barons at least made libraries and institutions called Universities that helped common people. The Bezos of the world don't do anything philanthropic. They are selfish A H---s. I wonder how all those Amazon employees will stack up to the past (robber baron era) for mistreatment and overworking time quotas. My employees get two breaks that they can actually use to go to the bathroom and a lunch a direct result of unions who fought the Robber Barons and gave workers some respect. The average Amazon minion has seen that get eroded by start ups that disrupt the victories of the past. Good luck to all of us in the future. We are going to need it. I hope Chino can survive the next couple of years by making some sort of correction to operations that will preserve the museum in the less brave new world.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I left the Corporate World 30 years ago and never looked back. Been my own boss through thick and thin. Best decision I ever made. P-51 and bdk make valid points. I started seeing the lack of loyalty, on both sides, back in the late 80’s when I “defected” from corporate to freelance. The concern with people who are still taking Government handouts vs going back to work is the word “finite”.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:55 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Adam Kline wrote:
I hope Chino can survive the next couple of years by making some sort of correction to operations that will preserve the museum in the less brave new world.
The museums at Chino Airport may be at risk because the county is seeking corporate jet property tax money and higher rent. The county used to appreciate the educational aspect of the museums, but seems to now be looking to maximize airport revenue. I'm told that both museums on the field have exit plans.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:37 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

bdk wrote:
Adam Kline wrote:
I hope Chino can survive the next couple of years by making some sort of correction to operations that will preserve the museum in the less brave new world.
The museums at Chino Airport may be at risk because the county is seeking corporate jet property tax money and higher rent. The county used to appreciate the educational aspect of the museums, but seems to now be looking to maximize airport revenue. I'm told that both museums on the field have exit plans.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is spot-on. They would be wrong for not having pondered it.
From what I hear, many (of not most) airports usually don't seem to like having museums to deal with, especially with airshows to contend with now and then.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)