Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:10 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

https://columbiabasinherald.com/news/20 ... -serious-/

Quote:
by CASEY MCCARTHY
Staff Writer | September 7, 2021 1:05 AM

MOSES LAKE — A pilot and one passenger were able to walk after a very rough landing at the Moses Lake Municipal Airport on Sunday.

John O’Keefe, a dentist from Winthrop, was flying in from Spokane at around 12:30 p.m. Sunday in a Lockheed Model 12 Electra Junior when the right landing gear collapsed in what is called a “hard landing.”

The collapse of the right landing gear sent the aircraft across the runway and into the dirt, according to Darrin Jackson, the owner of Jackson Flight Center.

“The landing gear came down, but one gear collapsed, the right gear,” Jackson said. “And that pulled it horribly to the right, with the propeller striking the runway.”

Jackson said he called 911 “immediately, before the aircraft even stopped.”

Jackson said the incident forced the closure of the municipal airport to all air traffic for around five hours during a very busy Labor Day weekend, as the FAA investigated and cleared ground crews to move the plane.

“There are nice little divots all over the runway, like the state put in rumble strips,” Jackson said. “They aren’t very deep, and it’s not that big a deal.”

Jackson said the Electra Junior, of which roughly 130 were built in the late 1930s and early 1940s, is “known for its landing gear failures.”

“We all make not so good landings, but usually the gear doesn’t collapse,” Jackson said.

Moses Lake Police Department Capt. Dave Sands said neither pilot nor passenger received “significant” injuries in the incident, and the passenger “was gone when the police arrived.”

O’Keefe could not be reached for comment.

FAA Spokesman Ian Gregor confirmed the details of the incident, but said in an email Monday to the Columbia Basin Herald the agency “does not identify people involved in aircraft accidents or incidents.”

According to FAA records, the aircraft is registered to Carson City, Nevada-based International Air Services, which “specializes in providing individual trust agreements to non-U.S.A. citizens to enable them to legally register their aircraft on the American Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) ‘N’ register.”

O’Keefe owned the aircraft, built in 1940, until March 2021, when he sold it to an “anonymous UK pilot,” according to a report published at the Key.Aero website.

The “anonymous UK pilot” was coming to Moses Lake for a final FAA flight check on the aircraft, Jackson said.

O’Keefe was one of seven Electra Junior owners featured in a January 2017 issue of Air & Space/Smithsonian highlighting the few surviving flying Electra Junior aircraft.

Jackson estimated the damage — bent propellers, crumpled engine cowlings, a bent nose and two broken landing gear assemblies — at around $200,000. He also said it will likely take several months to rebuild.

“Anything is rebuildable,” he said.

Last edited by bdk on Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:56 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

For a change, a well-written news article which didn't rely on melodrama or "loop-the-loop" style terms. Glad it's fixable too :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Grant County airport is the former Larson AFB.
Huge runways and ramp, a leftover from its SAC days and time as the place Boeing would deliver new B-52s and KC-135s to the Air Force.

A couple of weeks ago, I spoke to a Seattle are pilot who stopped there. He said there were still a bunch of new 737s stored there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:53 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Someone posted a video of the incident to reddit: Twin engine lockhead crashes my local airport. MUNI

It's probably one of the best filmed accident videos I've seen, as it shows the full sequence of events from start to finish with a steady hand by the cameraman.

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:19 pm 

I am certainly no expert, but it looks like both engines are messed up, not to mention the airframe.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know it's not quite the same aircraft, but I wonder if that's what Earhart's Hawaii crash looked like? :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:02 pm 

That's probably going to negatively affect the sale, ouch!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:40 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I think the problem with the Lockheed 10 and 12 is that landing gear legs are extremely scarce. There are fewer pairs of serviceable gear legs than there are aircraft.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:29 pm 

Hi,
just putting here for future reference (e.g. to make searches easier) that this would be NC25628.
Glad no one seems to have got badly hurt, and hope the aircraft can be repaired swiftly.
Roger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:34 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

You gotta love the guys commentary. It doesn’t look like he touched down or bounced all that hard. It’s almost seems the right gear wasn’t locked and it just folded when weight was put on it. I think the pitch over and deceleration made his hand go forward as you can hear power increasing on the left engine. I don’t think he was trying to go around. Very sad but it will fly again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:35 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

You gotta love the guys commentary. It doesn’t look like he touched down or bounced all that hard. It’s almost seems the right gear wasn’t locked and it just folded when weight was put on it. I think the pitch over and deceleration made his hand go forward as you can hear power increasing on the left engine. I don’t think he was trying to go around. Very sad but it will fly again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:16 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

marine air wrote:

Same thing with the elevator. As soon as I saw the gear start to collapse, I wanted him to roll in full left aileron and some up elevator to slow the airplane before the engine and wingtip came down. I wonder if his seat moved or he didn't have a shoulder belt, and was pushing on the wheel and throttles to keep from faceplanting into the panel.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:05 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Noha307 wrote:
Someone posted a video of the incident to reddit: Twin engine lockhead crashes my local airport. MUNI

It's probably one of the best filmed accident videos I've seen, as it shows the full sequence of events from start to finish with a steady hand by the cameraman.

The video in the above link was taken down, but I found it on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/9cJk8_cFY5Y