Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:17 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Currently in the United States, as near as I can tell, we essentially have two nationwide warbird organizations: the Commemorative Air Force and the Experimental Aircraft Association/Warbirds of America. If you look at a map of their locations, it seems that they have somewhat split the nation in half horizontally - with the CAF taking the south and the EAA taking the north. (I think the Collings Foundation would like to be one as well, but I doubt they're ever going to reach that point.)

However, when I look back at the history of a few other organizations - specifically the Yankee Air Force and Yesterdays Air Force/Military Aircraft Restoration Corporation - it seems like they had aspirations of forming at least a multi-base organization, but never really got there.

The Yankee Air Force had five divisions:
  • Headquarters at Willow Run Airport in Michigan
  • Saginaw Valley at Saginaw County H.W. Browne Airport in Michigan[1]
  • Wurtsmith Division at Wurtsmith Air Force Base in Michigan[2]
  • Northeast Division at Essex County Airport in New Jersey
  • Florida Division in Florida[1]

Furthermore, I've always taken the Yankee Air Force name to have been chosen at least partially in reference to the "Confederate Air Force".

Meanwhile, Yesterday's Air Force had at least two or three, possibly five locations:
  • 1941 Historical Aircraft Group Museum/National Warplane Museum
  • Combat Air Museum at Forbes Field in Kansas[3]
  • Florida Military Aviation Museum[4]
  • Headquarters at Chino Airport in California
  • MAPS Air Museum at Akron-Canton Regional Airport in Ohio[5]

While I can't find evidence that either the 1941 Historical Aircraft Group Museum or the MAPS Air Museum explicitly claim to have been part of Yesterday's Air Force, they both have hosted at least a few of it's aircraft. Furthermore, like the YAF/CAF example above, the name of MAPS appears to have been inspired by MARC. While this seems to indicate to me there was a larger plan, it is entirely possible I am reading into a theory that did not actually exist.

Unfortunately, I haven't been around long enough to know whether these theories are accurate. So, I was wonder if anyone could confirm it for me: Did the Yankee Air Force and Yesterday's Air Force really have plans to be more widespread at one point? Alternatively, someone tell me I'm completely wrong.

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:34 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Yesterday's Air Force was a David Tallichet organization, and though there were many displays of his aircraft and different museums and locations, it just didn't seem to "takeoff' full.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:54 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Aha! I knew it! There is a connection between the Yankee and Confederate Air Forces! However, it was not until today, when I came across the following article, that I could prove it:
Flying wrote:
JOIN THE
Attachment:
Yankee Air Force Logo.png
Yankee Air Force Logo.png [ 610.43 KiB | Viewed 2415 times ]

RALLY 'ROUND THE UNION FLAG. UNCLE SAM NEEDS YOU!

Red-Blooded men of the North, our country faces a dire threat. Deep in the South, there grows and festers a hostile military organization—The Confederate Air Force, headquartered in Harlingen, Texas.

In a few short years, this group has grown from a puny fleet comprised of a few tattered old airplanes to an air arm of such proportions that its presence has raised alarm among loyalists throughout the Union. For example, Yankee Intelligence reports that the CAF has P-39's, P-40's, Wildcats, Hellcats, Thunderbolts, B-25's, B-17's, B-24's, a B-29, a Spitfire, a Mosquito, Messerschmitts, Zeros and many other aircraft. Thus you can see the scope and gravity of this peril.

HOW THE UNION WILL STRIKE BACK
From the rockbound coast of Maine to the golden wheatfields of Minnesota, from the fog-enshrouded forests of Oregon to the anthracite country of Pennsylvania, Yankee airmen are climbing into their cockpits. All across the Northern tier, the dawn is rent with the snarl of old engines coming to life, and the air is pungent with the stink of exhaust smoke. The old airplanes are being made ready—craft bearing the proud and fierce names of Chance Vought and Boeing and Grumman and North American and Republic, names to strike fear in hearts throughout the South. Units are being formed, enlistments are being accepted, commissions are 'being issued. Soon the mightiest air arm our great nation has ever known will be ready, and when it is, when the CAF sees the sunlight glinting on our wings, when they join battle with fighters and bombers wearing the Yankee Air Force insignia, then the Rebels will know that once again, they have more than met their match.

HOW YOU CAN HELP
Because you love America, because you love old warbirds as much as any man, you must join the Yankee Air Force today. You need only want to lend your help to this fine organization. The YAF wants you, and needs your aid. But if you are a pilot, if you do own an old warplane or any other aircraft, we welcome you with open arms. We will be a non-profit foundation, and therefore as an aircraft owner you can enjoy many tax benefits by allying with the YAF.

Attachment:
Michael J. Jackson, Commanding General, Yankee Air Force.png

Michael J. Jackson, Commanding General, Yankee Air Force Mike Jackson retired from the U.S. Air Force as a Brigadier General. In World War II, he was one of America's leading fighter aces. Flying a P-47 Thunderbolt, he shot down 14 German aircraft. Today, General Jackson leads the Battle Staff of the Yankee Air Force.

THE FUTURE
Now, today, the Yankee Air Force is readying its battle fleet. Already there has been a tremendous response all over the North to this call to the colors. Among our leaders are present and past members of the U.S. Air Force, the U.S. Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard, as well as men from all walks of life whose common bond is their love of Old Glory. When you join the YAF, you will receive a certificate of your commission, decals for your car and/or aircraft, and a subscription to the Yankee Air Force News. Through this publication, you will be kept fully informed of YAF progress in building its fleet, and the construction of YAF bases. Headquarters plans are already under way, and this great installation will house a restaurant, a hotel, and a museum, as well as providing the site of dazzling air shows.

JOIN NOW

Don't miss the opportunity to become part of the greatest aerial organization in America's illustrious history. Close up with the YAF as we fly against the Rebels. Respond at once, for God, for airplanes, and for your country. Strike a blow for the Union!

Attachment:
Yankee Air Force Logo Small.png

TO: Commanding General
  Headquarters Yankee Air Force
  Box 1777, Greenwich, Connecticut

Send me a commission in the Yankee Air Force! I want to join in the fight to defend the skies of the Union!

_____ Lieutenant ($10)
_____ Captain ($25)
_____ Squadron Leader ($50)
_____ General or Admiral ($200)
(Specify which)

Flying Experience: (Check one)
Pilot _____ pilot training _____ very in-
terested in aviation _____

Own Plane? _____ yes _____ no
If yes, maker and type: _____
Name _____________________________
Address ___________________________
City _______________________________
State ______________ Zip ____________
Please find enclosed check or money order
for $_____.

(Source: "Join the Yankee Air Force," Flying, December 1977, 55.)

The one part I can't figure out is that the mailing address listed in the cutout section is in Greenwich, Connecticut, not Michigan. Was it a different organization?

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Noha307

A simple answer to your question is The Yankee Air Force (now the Yankee Air Museum) in Michigan was formed in 1981....years after that ad.

My guess is the Michigan group assumed the name after the first outfit didn't get off the ground.