Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:32 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I can't speak for civilian aircraft but as I recall when the USCG has a helo impact the water, some of the components get soaked or dipped in a de-salting solution to help preserve them for rehab. I don't see why a civilian aircraft wouldn't use the same de-salting method. I use a de-salting solution for my new outboard motor to protect the cooling system and the outside of the motor. Folks use the same stuff for their boats too. I don't know what the folks at the CG overhaul facility use, but I know it works. The Navy likely uses the same or similar stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:59 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

marine air wrote:
Before we call the guy a hero, maybe we should see what caused the engine to fail. If the engine driven fuel pump was failing and he never turned on the electrically driven standby fuel pump, then no he's not a hero in my book. He did do his best in the ditching. You can thank God that no children or swimmers were injured or killed when it hit the busy beach area.
The airplane can be rebuilt, but at what cost? Maybe the operators will take the insurance check and buy another one. Maybe someone will buy the aircraft and rebuild it. If it were me, I would put as many of the aircraft parts as possible in a freshwater swimming pool for a month or two and leach out the saltwater.

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Did the engine pack up or...? In the video it sounds like it's making at least some power. I hope she gets into a tank of fresh water fast or her future is gonna be a little bleak.

On a slightly similar topic, what has become of the P-47 that ditched a couple of years ago on the east coast? As I recall the pilot didn't make it out.

Last edited by Dan Jones on Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:38 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

It's easy to imagine a lot of ways this could have been a lot worse. Looks like a great job by the pilot.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:50 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The pilot did a nice job handling a very bad situation! Pilot and everyone on the ground (and in the water!) are unhurt. Hopefully the Avenger can be saved as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:07 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Dan Jones wrote:
Did the engine pack up or...? In the video it sounds like it's making at least some power.

Well, I've had my ear to the ground for anything and haven't heard a reason given, but I think we can all safely speculate that the pilot didn't ditch it for grins...

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:36 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Excellent job ditching. That pilot, who I will not name, has gone through a lot to get back in the saddle.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:58 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Dan Jones wrote:
Did the engine pack up or...? In the video it sounds like it's making at least some power. I hope she gets into a tank of fresh water fast or her future is gonna be a little bleak.

On a slightly similar topic, what has become of the P-47 that ditched a couple of years ago on the east coast? As I recall the pilot didn't make it out.

It’s owned by the insurance co. I am told By a friend that works in the Warbird industry and knows everyone and everything it’s never going to be seen again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:39 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

RyanShort1 wrote:
Dan Jones wrote:
Did the engine pack up or...? In the video it sounds like it's making at least some power.

Well, I've had my ear to the ground for anything and haven't heard a reason given, but I think we can all safely speculate that the pilot didn't ditch it for grins...

No, but he could have had a fire, or a battery explode, or... there's a few reasons that can necessitate having to get it down very rapidly. But, at the end of the day it's just an airplane. That he got it down (and made a good job of the ditching) and nobody got hurt is all that really matters.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:14 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

This was told to me how bad it sounded . No need to guess. Listen . Does that sound good to you? The engine was in trouble. I went and looked again and listened.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fJdGc7ZcK58

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:48 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

...so they fitted the TBM with airbags and floated it to a nearby pier....

Attachment:
t175758971_3903035746409585_1530184676812218120_n.jpg

...and then they lifted it out with a crane...

Attachment:
174873163_10224959194542699_2920215460120445699_n.jpg
174873163_10224959194542699_2920215460120445699_n.jpg [ 38.72 KiB | Viewed 1558 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:57 am 

In that video it sounds like parts flapping around inside the engine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:36 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

exhaustgases wrote:
Questions, don't they limit the just one aircraft to be flying during these events? If not they should. And the flight path should only be very close to the airport, for when these sort of problems happen.

The phrase "during these events" struck me. As far as the airplane is concerned, it's just another flight. While some displays do require a higher power setting be maintained for a longer interval, this wasn't Reno, and it's doubtful the TBM was required to use anything other than normal power settings. Assuming that's true, every flight has the same potential for a mishap, whether it be for a show or not. So, should airplanes be flown at all?

(Almost) every airplane that arrives at Oshkosh had to leave its home pattern and assume some additional level of risk. I suppose a museum could declare a policy that their aircraft will not leave the home pattern and maybe the WWI machines at Old Rhinebeck are an example. Someone might rightfully respond that the most dangerous parts of a flight are the takeoff, low level portion, and landing, therefore hanging around the pattern isn't the safest course of action either. Someone else might counter that, if the airplane is maintained to the applicable airworthiness standard there shouldn't be a cause for concern; i.e. if you don't think the thing is gonna run reliably, you ought not to be taking it aloft. You can't win. Those who adamantly say "Keep 'Em Flying!" must add "... and accept the risks" in the same breath.

Not pointing any fingers nor do I mean any disrespect. Just stating the situation as I see it.

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:51 am 

Well done to the pilot, and it is great to see the aircraft lifted out already!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:05 am 

JohnH wrote:
Dan Jones wrote:

It’s owned by the insurance co. I am told By a friend that works in the Warbird industry and knows everyone and everything it’s never going to be seen again.

What does this mean, specifically, if you/your friend knows?

The insurance company wants to scrap it? Doesn't want to be bothered with trying to sell it?

Why would the insurance company care about anything else but seeing a recovery on its expenditure?

Certainly there is some value in the plane or at least its component parts?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next