Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

AAFO site

Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:54 am

Haven't been able to access AAFO.com for almost a week. Keep getting a "Site can't be reached" with an upside down smiley face. Anyone else tried recently?

Re: AAFO site

Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:11 am

maradamx3 wrote:Haven't been able to access AAFO.com for almost a week. Keep getting a "Site can't be reached" with an upside down smiley face. Anyone else tried recently?

Yes Sir - I've had the same issues...
Mike

Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:59 am

I was able to find an email address through archive.is, sent an email asking about the website, it went through. If they reply back I will post it here.

Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:45 pm

I think it has something to do with the power outage in Texas. The server is based in Texas, Wayne said something about it just before the site went totally down.

Will

Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:56 pm

Looks like the servers got fried in Texas, it was in a facebook post.
Attachments
AAFO.jpg
AAFO.jpg (67.29 KiB) Viewed 2499 times

Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:07 pm

Still no activity over on AAFO. Anybody have any news -- or been in touch with Wayne? It would be a real loss if it doesn't come back -- Wayne's forum archives have been an invaluable source of information about the history of Air Racing.

Is there backup if a site's "servers got fried"? I don't know anything about that end of website maintenance...

Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:18 pm

It sounds like Wayne's recurring health issues have returned and he may have been in the hospital. It sounds like he is pretty discouraged about the site and all the data has been lost. I don't have Wayne's email or phone number, but I have been in contact with someone who has been in contact with him. At this point, I don't think AAFO will be back any time soon. Perhaps once Wayne is feeling better he can explore a resurrection, but for now its not very high on his priority list.

I wish I had better news.

Will

Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:18 pm

I'm really sorry to hear this. Wayne and his site have been important for over 20 years now. He kept at it long after the other two major sites that looked at Racing gave it up. His health has deteriorated considerably over the last couple of years -- that cannot help.

So if your server "gets fried" there is no backup for the content of the site? There was a LOT of material there...

Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:18 pm

Unintended duplicate post...

Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:32 am

There have been posts in the last couple of years about the potential of the site shutting down. I fear this is the straw. Shame, as Aafo was the successor to Pylon1, which was the first site I discovered about air racing.

Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:10 am

Wayne the webmaster is still working on getting the site back. If anyone has experience with a website Wayne is looking for some help, please DM me and I can get you in touch with him.

Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:24 pm

Website is back! :D

Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:40 am

At the risk of not being seen as one of the cool kids...
What is the AAFO (what is it dedicated to) and what is its web address?

Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:32 am

JohnB wrote:At the risk of not being seen as one of the cool kids...
What is the AAFO (what is it dedicated to) and what is its web address?

http://aafo.com/

It's mostly dedicated to Reno Air Racing.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:13 am

airtj wrote:Website is back! :D

Great news! Didn't lose too much data either.
Post a reply