Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:45 pm 

Saw on Airshow Stuff that the A-10 Demo jet has a new livery for this year. I think they knocked this one outta the park :drink3:
https://airshowstuff.com/v4/2021/a-10-d ... nt-scheme/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:03 pm 

Love it! :drink3:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well done!!!

One of my former Wing Commanders, Norman McDaniel, is listed as a PoW (he was then a major). At the same time, my squadron commander (for administration purposes only since I was on the CC'd personal staff) was also a former PoW. Two guys, out of many, who did their duty and paid the price for it.

On the KIA list, notice the number of Colonels and Lieutenant Colonels...proving that there were senior officers willing to lead from the front.
Which is why I have some issues with some anti-military elements occasional encountered.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:21 pm 

JohnB wrote:
Well done!!!

One of my former Wing Commanders, Norman McDaniel, is listed as a PoW (he was then a major). At the same time, my squadron commander (for administration purposes only since I was on the CC'd personal staff) was also a former PoW. Two guys, out of many, who did their duty and paid the price for it.

On the KIA list, notice the number of Colonels and Lieutenant Colonels...proving that there were senior officers willing to lead from the front.
Which is why I have some issues with some anti-military elements occasional encountered.

I had the understanding that it was because they were promoted until their classification went from POW/MIA status to KIA.

Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know that POWs were routinely promoted while in captivity, I had not heard the same went for MIAs.

An acquaintance lost her husband, a B-52 pilot, during Arc Light. No body was recovered, so he was MIA.
She said several years later she had to ask the AF to declare him deceased so she could remarry. Otherwise, he might still be listed as MIA.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:28 am 

Can't find the verbiage for the Vietnam era yet but here is the later/current policy. The verbiage between POW and MIA promotions is identical.

Promotions: POW personnel continue to be considered for promotion along with their contemporaries. Policy provides for each missing or captured officer/enlisted member to be considered for promotion to the next higher grade when they are eligible. The eligibility for officers is based on the date of rank in their current grade. For enlisted members, eligibility is based on time in grade and time in service.

Promotions: MIA personnel continue to be considered for promotion along with their contemporaries. Policy provides for each missing or captured officer/enlisted member to be considered for promotion to the next higher grade when they are eligible. The eligibility for officers is based on the date of rank in their current grade. For enlisted members, eligibility is based on time in grade and time in service

Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:43 am 

JohnB wrote:
I know that POWs were routinely promoted while in captivity, I had not heard the same went for MIAs.

An acquaintance lost her husband, a B-52 pilot, during Arc Light. No body was recovered, so he was MIA.
She said several years later she had to ask the AF to declare him deceased so she could remarry. Otherwise, he might still be listed as MIA.

See above post with the policy of promoting MIAs.

Found a blurb regarding 1st Lt. John Leslie Ryder, MIA (Vietnam) promoted to Captain a year later. So it was a policy during the Vietnam War to promote those listed as missing in action, until declared deceased.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-h ... -promoted/

Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:09 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Well done...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:09 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Great job by the team. Nice SEA scheme, and the names of the KIA/MIA is a great tribute.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:57 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

A-10s just look right in camo, even if it is SEA. This really makes me miss the old Euro One schemes. A nice tribute to KIA and POWs as well. I love that the Air Force has embraced more these types of special paint jobs in recent years.