Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:40 am 

Sad to read about this, even from this side of the big pond the history and reputation of Miramar stands out and it's a location that deserved a museum. Here's hoping for some kind of eleventh hour rescue plan...

If it does come to dispersing the collection, I guess there is some consolation in the fact that naval aircraft are relatively small and often fold/dismantle into compact packages for transport. If it were a USAF museum, there would surely be a B47,B52,C124 etc etc that would be under threat of scrapping.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:32 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I thought the same thing; that maybe it could be saved. They have a very nice collection, not the usual F-4, T-38, C-131, and C-47 kind of stuff. And they all seem to be in decent presentable shape. Does the military base need that space for a new building or something? That's what I suspect.
I would love it if the Navy put some of them up for sale. The three I'm most interested in would be the Dauntless, Wildcat and Skyray.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:37 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The reason the base gave for closing it is that it costs $400,000 a year to run

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:06 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

It may not be a done deal just yet. There is an effort to save it-
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/ne ... EYXJg#null

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:05 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The Air Force Flight Test Museum made an interesting post on their Facebook page on March 31st:
Air Force Flight Test Museum wrote:
To all our friends and followers out there, a quick explanation of the events over the last few weeks. Many of you saw the posting a few days back regarding a helicopter, a CH-46 Sea Knight, and how we will need to raise some money to help bring it back to the Flight Test Museum. This helicopter, as well as a Douglas F4D Skyray, a North American B-25 Mitchell and a MiG-15 were to come to Edwards AFB to join the Flight Test Museum collection, but on loan from the US Marine Corps at Quantico. They are part of the Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum at MCAS Miramar, which got it's 'marching' orders to vacate the base several months back. A number of museums have stepped forward to rescue the 30-plus airframes currently on display and we were granted permission to move the four mentioned above as all four have an Edwards connection. However, now there is a community in Southern California that is willing to take the entire museum and collection and give it a new home. Their city counsel is currently exploring the idea and so we have been asked to 'stand by' on moving the individual aircraft and breaking up the collection. If this deal goes through, it will be great news as the Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum will be able to survive intact. They represent, honor and educate people on the significance of Marine Aviation over the many decades. So 'stand by' for more news on this subject. We will follow with two additional stories. One will point out our serious need for a 'warehouse' type Forklift which we use in our restoration efforts on base, while the other will describe where we are at, both in construction and financials. Quickly, in this area we are about $350,000 short of erecting our NEW museum building, and will need your help...so stand by as there is much more news to follow. And once again, thank you for all for your continued support of the Air Force Flight Test Museum (and Education Center).

(Source: Facebook)

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:24 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

You would think the "Great Park" at former MCAS El Toro would have been a good spot. Of course golf courses, crackerbox housing and strip malls are typically more important.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

bdk wrote:
You would think the "Great Park" at former MCAS El Toro would have been a good spot. Of course golf courses, crackerbox housing and strip malls are typically more important.

I saw somewhere that the development company was looking into the USMC Museum repurpose two hangars that are still standing at El Toro. If it happens, it would be such a huge Win-Win

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:40 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

http://museums.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/Flying_Leatherneck_Aviation_Museum.html

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:09 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Warbird Kid wrote:
bdk wrote:

I saw somewhere that the development company was looking into the USMC Museum repurpose two hangars that are still standing at El Toro. If it happens, it would be such a huge Win-Win

Looks like it is happening

https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... -base.html

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:47 am 

Well that is good news. It is near my house now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:09 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Good deal - the fact is, you HAVE to charge admission unless it is not on a military base. And even that will not cover the costs but it does help.

Tom P.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:22 pm 

When I visited this Museum (about 20 years ago) I was informed by the personnel that there was also a Douglas C-54 (R5D) and a Fairchild C-119 (R4Q) on display...both located 'inside the base'. At the time I also questioned the presence of a General Motors FM-2 Wildcat in the collection. To the best of my knowledge the USMC never operated the type only the F4F series and FM-1's. Of course, I remain open for correction...

JDV
http://www.fuselagecodes.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:01 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

jdvoss wrote:
......At the time I also questioned the presence of a General Motors FM-2 Wildcat in the collection. To the best of my knowledge the USMC never operated the type only the F4F series and FM-1's. Of course, I remain open for correction...

JDV

Not sure if your "questioning" is a criticism of the Museum. With far fewer surviving F4F's and FM-1's I would give the museum some slack- I think it is very appropriate for them to have any type of Wildcat, regardless of the model number. For sure the precise model that served in the USMC is better, and even better is one that actually served in the USMC, and best is one with a proven combat history, but sometimes "close enough" is what you can get. As long as it properly identified as in "this FM-2 is painted to display F4F bur. numberxxxxx...." I have no issue. Casual visitors won't know the difference and us rivet counters can keep to ourselves.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:17 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Will there be anything left to transfer to El Toro? I see the F/A-18 is the latest departure, to Santa Rosa.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:28 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mike wrote:
Will there be anything left to transfer to El Toro? I see the F/A-18 is the latest departure, to Santa Rosa.

Mike, I believe a good bulk of the collection will be going to El Toro, except for a few duplicates and specials requests going elsewhere. They had 2 F/A-18s 1616749 and 163152 so they could afford to let one go to Santa Rosa. I believe 152 went to Santa Rosa.